Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this wonderful forum.

I bought my first Goldwing back in September 2018, a 1994 GL 1500SE. I am a late bloomer so to speak and didn't get my first bike until a few years ago, a 2002 Honda Magna 750. My wife and I enjoy riding together but she could never quite get comfortable on the back of the Magna. When our friends upgraded from the aforementioned 1500 to an 1800 we took advantage of the opportunity to buy their old one.

I didn't really have an opportunity to get a lot of miles in on the 'Wing since the weather didn't really cooperate coupled with the 'Wing developing an oil leak. It was the dreaded Shifter Shaft Seal failure. This resulted in me parking the bike until winter so I could work on her.

Once winter arrived I did some much needed maintenance, First I replaced the shifter shaft seal and installed an after market brace. I changed out the fuel filter, air filter, sub-air filter, cruise element, oil change, spark plugs and oil filter. I also changed out the radiator fluid and the timing belts. Last weekend I pulled off the rear wheel and lubed up the output shaft, universal joint, final drive splines and the driven flange.

Still need to inspect the rear brakes, front brakes and flush the brake lines and clutch lines.

When we’re not working, the wife and I enjoy spending time outdoors, whether it’s riding, camping or siting around our fire pit. I’m not really mechanical, which requires me to make up for this deficiency by being adept in the kitchen and the grills.

Thanks to groups like this I've been able to do all of the above work by myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
58,233 Posts
Hallo DougEFresh1123

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum family . Great folks here to share info with. You have a fine machine . With all your maintenance completed it will give years of good service to you . Visit often and enjoy the rides.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
:welc: Doug,

Nice looking ride and sounds like your getting on top of things maintenance wise... The 1500 is an awesome ride, I'm sure you and the wife will enjoy it...

We lived in Arlington Heights for 35 years before moving back to Tennessee where I met my bride... Now living in the foothills of the Smokey's, about 1 hour from the Cherohala and 2 hours from the Dragon...

Let me know if your ever down this way and I'll show you some great roads and rides...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Welcome from North Central Il. Doug, mark your calendar for June 18-20th. There is a rally / meet & greet being held just a hop - skip & a jump from you in Galena Il. You will find a great group of folks & some nice riding in the Tri-State area. More info in the Events forum.

:welc::welc::welc:

·
Pwhoever
3,078 Posts
Welcome Doug. Looks like you got a pretty good handle on all the preventive maintenance and should be ready for the riding season. My Inlaws used to live in Villa Park on Ardmore but are over in Lombard now. Most of my wife's family are in the Lombard, Elmhurst area.

Now since you pretty much have the bike ship shape, you need to bring yourself and wife out to the Galena gathering mid June and take advantage of all the roads out there in Illinois, N/W Wisconsin and Eastern Iowa and meet a bunch of us fellow Goldwing riders. I bet you leave knowing a few more friends by the time over...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the delayed responses been busy with life.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Regarding the question about using moly paste yes I used moly, and it’s a good thing I did this service because it looked like what ever shop did the previous lube job at the universal joint used a regular wheel bearing grease and not the moly paste.

Unfortunately we won’t be able to make it to Galena, still part of the working world, Now if it was on the weekend it would be a different story.

As an FYI, the wife and I will be on vacation the week of May 20 through the 24th down in Mammoth Cave KY. Planning on taking a day trip down to Cummins Falls State Park down in TN.

Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts