Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have been reading and enjoying the posts for some time now.

I have a 1978 GL1000 and a 1998 GL1500. The GL1000 is on bike stand awaiting completion of restoration and the 1998 Aspencade is driveable but not running right. I have repaired all issues except pulling and cleaning carbs. I am preparing to do that next week. Goal now is to gather any tools that may be required for this job and any known parts that should be replaced for a older bike like this. It has 34,000 miles on it but i think it sat unused for several years. I've got a pretty good idea of the job ahead of me and looking forward to completing it and riding the bike with better performance than i have now. This is my time riding a Goldwing and it is a little different. Past bikes were Harley, Kawasaki and a old Honda Dream.

·
Administrator
21,856 Posts
:welc:

Hi. Which Dream did you have?

As far as the 15 goes, my advice is to use nothing but OEM parts. Kits just make things worse. And you're probably right about the bike sitting a long time, and that, I'd guess is the root of any running problem.

·
Premium Member
58,282 Posts
Hallo jtdurett

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,
It was a long long time ago but it was a red bike and i think it was a 305. I remember the white wall tires. Rode up to the Cleveland Ohio (i am from Akron) airport with a friend and i remember that thing shaking like a jack hammer at about 60mph. We made it though : ). Thanks for the tips. I pulled the carbs out today and looked around at the vacuum hoses. Cars were pretty dirty looking at the throat so i will clean them over the next few days. I bought Honda vacuum hose with 90 degree bend (two of them) and will replace them just on gp. I also ordered metric hose of sizes i found on the web for any other questionable hoses i find. I'll update when i get it back together. Oh almost forgot. One of the boots that the cars ride on had a very loose screw clamp and the boots are rock hard. Ordered new boots and my guess is that a previous owner had been in there and left it loose. Who knows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again,
The rubber heat shield that i have read about is not on my 1998 GL1500. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for it? I've been searching and cannot locate them to buy one and associated hardware. The heat shield is below carburetor. Thanks, Jerry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts