Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,.
Just purchased a 98 GL1500 70,000mi a few weeks ago from the original owner, it had been sitting for a few years, most maintenance that was once done has long been forgotten about and the fork seals appear to be wet, there is a bit of a clunk coming from the front fork area on most bumps "fork bushings, head baring adjustment" ?. After some back and fourth I brought her home.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Greetingz Snow! Congratz on the Wing!

Posts any problems or issues you find in the Technical section where it will get more eye balls and better responses.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hello neighbor! Welcome to a great place to cuss, discuss, troubleshoot, repair and enhance all things Wing with a great group of folks!

·
Premium Member
58,282 Posts
Hallo snowpig32

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcomes folks,

The bike is now being torn down now to service, clean up and re-assemble, just the plastics not the whole bike.
She is not a real comfortable bike for me, I have knee issues so after an hr or so in the saddle my knees hurt and hips cramp,, 2 hrs. I’m miserable, 3 hrs., well I’m not sure what that sort of pain is called.
I understand there are a few options for a aftermarket seats but Id rather not drop more money into this bucket just yet just in case this bike does not work out. I had already spent for new fork seals, bushings, tires and timing belts and going back and forth with a local dealer, ish what an unpleasant experience that was, long story. In short I am a bit upside down on this investment experiment now as it is. I’m thinking about finding an older taller seat or having one adjusted to add 2 inches to the high and 2 inches back for starters.

I would also like to find a resource for used parts, there is a bit more cracked up plastics on this ol-gal that I did not see at the time of purchase. Man, prices on Ebay are surprisingly high and not much available on Craigs in my neck of the woods. Any recommendations would be grate.

I did score on a motorcycle lift to get to the bottom of this bike over the weekend. I searched in tech area but haven’t come across the lifting points people are using. Seems I lift from the engine on the front and what, the exhaust pipes on the back =-0, I just don’t feel good about that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
There is a For Sale section on this forum, good place to search as well. If you don't find what you are looking for, post a WANTED thread in the For Sale forum. Another good place is Cycle ReCycle in Indianapolis. https://newmotorcycleparts.net/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip Corkya,
I did that, put the rear lift point on the center stand mount and the front lift point under what I assume is the engine/ trans area. However after doing so she is not balanced at all with the Jack I got, It is rear heavy, or front light. I purchased a J&S jack on Craigs, , I wonder if your Habor Freight jack is wider at the lifting points than mine.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I purchased a J&S jack on Craigs, , I wonder if your Habor Freight jack is wider at the lifting points than mine.
Mine is 13" from outside of pad to outside of pad, but if it any consolation, while I was reviewing lifts last year, J & S was top of the line, but just too expensive for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes,, the jack was a tad on the pricey side even though it was purchased used. I too researched and found the majority thought J&S are one of the best and made in WI, I love there cheese.. Never having lifted 800+ lb of bike before I didn't want to be discouraged with a pile of plastic carnage on the floor if my project went a little sideways so I am trying to start with a leg up so to speak.

I searched a little yesterday on lift points for the GL1500, seems a lot of people are calming lifting on the exhaust has had no ill affect for them. Maybe Id be fine with that, but my luck normally trends in the direction of an expensive mistake and I spend the following week or two kicking my self.

I did call J&S, pleasant people, but I fear the person I was talking to was younger than my bike and could not offer much in first hand knowledge. I took your advice put the rear plate on the center stand mount and the front under the motor. She is a little nose heavy, not exactly centered to my liking but seems to be stable enough when lifted all the way up, I just won't be sitting on the fender like there marketing images clam though.

Thanks for the measurement, this jack is 17" wide end to end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the tip, will do.
Do you feel the strapping is going to prevent wobble or fall from left to right or front to back? I, well my bike and sometimes me :) wobble more front to back than side to side. Just a thought, and I'm probably wrong but if she starts to go front to back the straps will only keep the lift and the bike together when it all comes tumbling down. I'm sure I am over thinking it though. It is in the air, fairly steady.

Say, if i may ask beings that we are pretty close geographically saying, where is it that you take your bike for serious service, or do you do it all your self? Id like to find a good honest, fare reliable shop.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Thanks for the tip, will do.
Do you feel the strapping is going to prevent wobble or fall from left to right or front to back? I, well my bike and sometimes me :) wobble more front to back than side to side. Just a thought, and I'm probably wrong but if she starts to go front to back the straps will only keep the lift and the bike together when it all comes tumbling down. I'm sure I am over thinking it though. It is in the air, fairly steady.

Say, if i may ask beings that we are pretty close geographically saying, where is it that you take your bike for serious service, or do you do it all your self? Id like to find a good honest, fare reliable shop.
The straps do a little bit of both, protecting fore and aft as well as side to side. You are basically changing from 2 points of contact support at the shoes to 4 points of contact support and, therefore, making it less likely that you will reach a tipping point either way.

For serious service I take mine to a bike shop about 10 miles south of me (Bowling Green). You kind of have to shop around some because not everyone works on GoldWings, especially older ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.