Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad to be part of the forum, I've been looking through it the last few days and just cannot believe the wealth of knowledge on it!! I'm hoping to siphon some of it off my way, and hopefully i will be able to help out a few people along the way as well.

a brief overview........

I bought my first wing about a month ago, had to bring it home in the back of a truck. A $500 Craigs list special. 1984 GL1200 Goldwing Aspencade just barely broken in with 184000kms under its wheels.

I'm not new to motorcycles, getting my first street bike back in 1981, a new 1982 CB450T Hawk. that's after years of riding my brothers 1966 Honda 90 'girls' bike in the dirt. it was tough keeping up to my buddies on XR100's, CanAm's and various Japanese dirt bikes, but I believe it helped make me a decent rider.

anyhow, moving forward, and after a couple 3 Flags, and a trip down to California this year to watch the MotoGP race on my VFR750, I told myself that the next long trip would be on a cushier bike, hence the wing. My VFR is running just great with just over 100,000kms and no engine work (with many trips to the redline....and sometimes beyond), so I figured a wing with 184K should translate to about the same. I've had wing on the brain for the last few years. is that what happens as we get older??

I got the bike against my wife's wishes (but she's since forgiven me) as a bit of a project bike, fix it and sell it so I could afford a newer one (still GL1200 though, as I like the look and size of these the best). but after a few weeks of tinkering I'm coming to realize that I am kind of getting attached to the old girl....bike I mean. My wife's ok too. I didnt need to do too much to get it running (the bike, wife doesnt run), new fuel filter, clean out the spark plug galley's holding water and fix the leaky oil filter bowl, and she now runs like a charm (no, wife still doesnt run). I insured it a couple days ago and have been putting it through its paces, seeing what other gremlins may popup. only one so far, the starter, which seems like an easy enough fix from what I've already read.

so thank you all in advance for all the useful information on this site, I will definately be taking advantage of a lot of it, and like I mentioned, hopefully I'll be able to pass on some knowlege of my own.

good day from Vancouver Island.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
:waving:Greetings from N.Idaho and welcome to the Best Goldwing Forum on the internet. If used, this forum will supply you with great information and hours of simple entertainment.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
good day from Vancouver Island.
You do know that us Mainlanders are planning to sink the Island and then we'll be Free. :lash:

Until then welcome to the forum.:waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Welcome:waving:rosok

·
Premium Member
73,634 Posts
Hallo rosok

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do know that us Mainlanders are planning to sink the Island and then we'll be Free. :lash:

Until then welcome to the forum.:waving:
Chilliwack, eh. I spent a couple years there in the early 80's going to Fraser valley college. Nice enough place, but I much prefer the $200+ round trip ferry rides that my family and me have to endure 4-5 time per year. :X. If it wasn't so nice over here, and work of course, then I'd be back over your way, swimming in Cultas and fishing the Vedder. And of course the greater variety of motorcycling roads.

Hey, thanks again guys for the welcomes!

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Welcome from the Foothills.

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
WELCOME:waving:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: