Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello all im new to the form i just bought my 88 1500 and after a day of riding i heard a knocking noice i thought rod bearin at first it only does it when the motor is warmso i got a broom handle and started listiening all over motor to me the noice is coiming from the tranny just below the alternator has any had problem or what should i do ty

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi charls you need to be more pacif on whats going onlike is it only on tic over or in certin gears i think to start it would be a good idea to change theengine oil and filter and then see if it still happens

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Hi Charles82 it could be the alternator bearing or worn rubber dampers, is this the original alternator??:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

sorry when the motor gets hot it does it while riding or siting there idlin i dont here the raddle coming of the crank case but on the left and right side of the tranny

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

the alternator normaly causes a vibration as you have said a knocking noise a good quality oil might just get rid of this for you because when the oil get hot it tins out you might have worn berings in the gearbox and may be ok for many thousands of miles yet

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

i dont know whats avaible in the states as it depends on what temp you have in carolina if you put oil in the search box you will find loads of info there

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
i dont know whats avaible in the states as it depends on what temp you have in carolina if you put oil in the search box you will find loads of info there
Hi agnogel

I plan on doing an oiland filter change soon.can I get the parts locally or should I look on the interweb ??

Eric

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/750hi eric i always get the service kit from cyclemax even with the shipping i save about 80 to100euro honda in dublin charged me 26euro for the fuel filter alone cyclemax4 dollers i use the duchams oil you can get in your local auto store

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Niceone mate :).

I'll be doing that

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Charles82
before you get too deep into engine problems try sync-ing your carbs first. Way out of sync carbs can cause a knock that sounds similar to a rod knock. Besides... it's cheap and easy. I always go with cheap and easy first.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Easiest way to be sure it's not the alternator is simply remove it. Only takes a few minutes to remove the alternator on the 1500 then fire it up and see if the noise changes.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Great Tip Exavid,

Be sure and isolate or wrap your electrical connections and not together.

Before you fire the engine.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

BE SURE to cover[as well as possible]alternator mounting hole! I fired up my '95 w/alt. out andLOTS of engine oil came out; all overengine case, kickstand and exhaust pipe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.