Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'85 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for having me. My name is Joe and I bought my first bike in 1975 and the life long addiction began. I've owned 5 Wings in addition to a few (read a lot) of other makes and models since then. My "NEWEST" wing is a 1985 Interstate that I brought home today. Bike has 29,188 miles which is just sad. Needs to be loved and ridden. A quick question for those here that know, does the tool kit in the pics look original? None of my other wings had the tool kit. Thanks. Luggage and bags Bag Textile Material property Denim
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,971 Posts
In fact, the only things I can see that aren't original are the extra foot pegs, chrome cover on the radiator, deer alerts(?) and the chrome flanges on the tail. You are so fortunate to not have the trunk ruined by a rack.
If you decide to fancy up, (ruin) the bike, let me know. I want the windshield and windshield garnish. Maybe lots of other stuff.

·
Registered
'85 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. And yes, that's the original tool kit.
Thanks for the info. The 1984 Interstate I had in the past had been "fancied up" by the previous owner. I intend to keep this one the way it is. After a ride to the DMV for a VIN inspection it's getting torn down and gone over. Timing belts, new tires, fluids, and anything else that looks questionable. Of the wings I've owned (1976, 1984, 2014, 2018) I enjoyed the 84 the most. Bought it with 47000 miles on it and sold it with 131000. Never let me down. If I do decide to replace the wind screen, I'll let you. Take care

·
Registered
‘91 gl1500
42 Posts
Looks pretty original to me. I had an ‘86 and it had the same kit. When I sold the bike and bought my ‘91 I kept the kit to keep in the bike only to find the ‘91’s kit later:oops:

·
Premium Member
80,531 Posts
Hallo Angusmcoz

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
'85 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello to All, Just a note on my newest Wing. After rebuilding the carbs and balancing them, brakes, replacing bearings (steering head and wheels), timing belts and new tires I had it purring like a kitten. Rode it around the block a few times to shake the cob webs off then decided to take it on a 60 mile loop. Around 25 miles out the motor seized @ 70mph locking the rear end till I got the clutch pulled in. I know what you all are thinking, another engine ruined by improper timing belt replacement and did he loose control of his bowels. Upon inspection after getting it home the answer is no to both. The #1 piston seized at the top of the stroke breaking the connecting rod at the small end sending it through the block at various points (top and front mostly). Compression was lower in the front two cylinders #1 150, #2 155, #3 165, #4 165. Readings taken with warm motor. New anti freeze and new oil (15w40 Rotella) with new filter. With only 29,000+ mile I'm sure this bike spent a lot of it time sitting. When I changed the plugs I looked at the cyl walls and they seemed OK for what I could see. What did I miss?

·
Registered
'85 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The motor in my parts bike might be available. I'll have to pull the heads and turn it over to make sure.
It's an '85 Interstate with less than 70K miles.
Dennis, thanks for the offer but I'm working on a deal on an 84 that's local. This bike is just too nice not to get back on the road. Also two things I've thought of concerning the blown engine. My compression gauge is an 80's era RAC that's seen better days and from what I can see with the head off I'm thinking #1 cyl had enough blow by to torch the piston. I will get it back on the road.

·
Registered
'85 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know the '84 motor has some differences, right?
Yes, but the only major thing I would need is to reroute the wiring for the coil pickups. Deal fell thru anyways. One person's treasure is another's junk. Engine had been torn down and cylinders had pits. Still looking for a donor engine locally.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Welcome, sorry for your troubles, no engine here either. I'm in New Castle, about 17 miles east of Youngstown.

·
Registered
'85 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome, sorry for your troubles, no engine here either. I'm in New Castle, about 17 miles east of Youngstown.
Hi neighbor, I grew up in Clark, Pa. Bought a few bikes from Sanders over the years. Spent more than a few Friday nights at the skating rink by the cheese plant (many years ago). I'm sure I'll find an engine sooner or latter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts