Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, from Dallas tx...first time i post a question here, hopefuly someone fan help me with issue..
Bike is a 94 gl1500....issue is that it has a costant flow of gas thru the vent hoses(i beliefe is what those are called, HOSES #6)...i thought it was sticking needle, crud os something like that, is not the case, i did replace valve seats, needle and did whole carb rebuild...i have done it before and no problems whatsoever, in other bikes, obviuosly....this thing is really puzzling me!!........i did set the floats at exactly 7.5 mm, same thing, set at 8mm... same thing...i
I even made an bench apparatus where to plug a recipient with gas (by gravity) to the fule lune in the carb, and withot the float cover, i moved floats to close valve(moving needle up, to its seat), to bench test if valve is actually closing the flow... i noticed it never stops totally the flow from valve, it does drip a little, tiny bit,...i assume that little timy bit of gas will be burned when bike is running??....
Anyway, im really wondering what it might be wrong with my carbs???

Can somebody help?.... is not dripping from the small hoses, the one located under the bowls...it flows from the vent hoses, the ones that form a "Y" with a 2-to-1 junction square (this junction square has an open side)

Any help or advice will be appreciated

Bike starts fine, but flowing lots of gas thru aforementioned hoses

TIA

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
If you didn't use original equipment float valves there's your problem. Aftermarket ones are notoriously unreliable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you didn't use original equipment float valves there's your problem. Aftermarket ones are notoriously unreliable.
Hello... i appreciate your reply...It does make sense....as matter of fact, i saw the floats valve so cheap that i decided to use the one that it had originally, not sure if those are original equipment though.... but the problem is the same with both valves, new and old.... one thing i noticed, the new valves inside diameter are smaller than the one it hadk it has stamped 2.4, i belive, nos stamp on the ood ones... also the new needle is thinier...like i said, fuel flows on both set ups
Question: by "original equipment" you meant there is a brand with that name or you meant honda parts, because it thats what you meant, i do not think honda still does parts for this year, or does it?
Thank you again

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Is there any chance someone out a high pressure fuel injected fuel pump instead of a carb fuel pump. Carb fuel pressure is around 4 PSI and fuel injected fuel pressure is 30 PSI plus.

·
It aint rocket science
3,886 Posts

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Question: by "original equipment" you meant there is a brand with that name or you meant honda parts, because it thats what you meant, i do not think honda still does parts for this year, or does it?
Thank you again
Yes I do mean Honda (Kehein). they are still available Honda Motorcycle 1994 OEM Parts Diagram for Carburetor Components | Partzilla.com #2. I did find some OE Kehein parts on Ebay once for a lot less but they were from somehere in Europe so shipping took a little while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reference #2 for Honda float valves.
Thank you...the rebuild kit i got it from ebay, very cheap looking...looks like besides checking psi ouput on the fuel pump, i ll have to order more reliable valves....thank you again, sr
Yes I do mean Honda (Kehein). they are still available Honda Motorcycle 1994 OEM Parts Diagram for Carburetor Components | Partzilla.com #2. I did find some OE Kehein parts on Ebay once for a lot less but they were from somehere in Europe so shipping took a little while.
Thank you Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As extra info on my problem, when i bought the bike, i did rode it back home, about 30 minutes ride, but i knew it sat for some time, i knew carbs might not be clean, i was aware or that, but did not leaked fuel for couple days after i bought it...it was when it started leaking when i decide to rebuild them, carbs were dirty, but not too much as i expected...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:, in hopes this thread help somebody else....i did a fuel pump folw test,..according to original honda manual, whatever amount of ounces pump producing in 5 secondsands, that amount has to be multiplied by 12, to get a Oz/minute figure....ok, find out that, in those 5 seconds, i got 8oz, so 8 times 12 =96 oz a minute.... the manual states a minumun of 21.6 oz/minute, but does not says what the max would be...im inclined to believe this has a high output pump (is dark now, will check another day)...even though i do not know what the max would be, is a big diference between 21.6 oz/minute as minumum and the 96 i got....

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
There is no maximum for a reason, it doesn't matter, pressure is what matters. Flow is controlled by the floats like the float valve in your toilet. Doesn't matter if you have a 1/2" or a 2" pipe running to it as long as the pressure is controllable.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
If leaking while the bike is not running, give thought to vacuum petcock too.

If leaking while running, instead of volume, check fuel pressure from pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Crysta pistol.... it only leaks while running,... i did volume check because it what the manual says, but it seem logical to me that a a high pressure psi will force more gas into tye bowls, specially if a not-too-good valve.... i will check psi from pump......what psi should i spect to see?

·
Premium Member
6,273 Posts
Thank you Crysta pistol.... it only leaks while running,... i did volume check because it what the manual says, but it seem logical to me that a a high pressure psi will force more gas into tye bowls, specially if a not-too-good valve.... i will check psi from pump......what psi should i spect to see?
About 3 or 4 PSI is normal.

·
It aint rocket science
3,886 Posts
.... i will check psi from pump......what psi should i spect to see?
About 1.5 PSI for an OEM pump, around 4 for a universal replacement.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts