Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello im 17 and i just got my first bike its a 1982 Honda Goldwing gl 1100 im not old enough to ride it yet but that alright it needs work :) alright to the fun stuff well the engine leaks oil from what looks like the head gasket and it only leaks when the engine it running. It also smokes from the same area im thinking a new head gasket and piston ring what do some of you guys think????

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Welcome welcome. It looks like you are ready to do some wrenching. That's terrific! The 1100 is a good platform to learn on and I'm sure will not be your only motorcycle. The things you learn today will be with you all your life, and even more important..... save you a ton of money in the long run. Have fun and enjoy the Wing. I am sure others with more direct experience with the 1100 than I will log in and have you fixing things up in no time.
Again welcome.
Corventure Dave

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum. Someone will be along soon to help with your question.

Would you mind dropping over to the New Member forum and introducing yourself there?

Congrats on choosing a great work project, and you will soon be able to enjoy it for many miles of Smiles.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Hello,
Welcome. Congratulations on your new project! You will find this is a great place to share and get experienced help.
Sounds like maybe just your valve cover leaking? Little oil makes a lot of smoke, and this area will not get oil util it is running, then the oil drains back into the engine.

Keep at it!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

There can't be a lot of 17 year olds riding Goldwings, they are a lifelong addiction. I joined here today myself so hi to the young man from Joliet.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Usually these old bikes don't need rings unless it's sat up a long time with moisture in the cylinders. A head gasket and new valve cover gaskets may be all you need. Put up a better description of the bike, like it's mileage and so on and what ever the previous owner told you about the bike. Pics would be nice too.

We have a reference and faq section where you'll find links to a lot of good info including down loadable manuals in pdf format. Also check out the tips section and bikers workshop.

Welcome to the forum, I believe you may just be our youngest owner to date.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

S29, Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Keith! Also, if left on the side stand the older wings will smoke upon start up. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Remember these are good strong engines. A properly maintained bike can log astonishingly high mileages. I have heard or a '78 in Spokane with +300K miles, having had only routine maintenance. The converse is also true, without proper care and maintenance nothing will last very long.

Enjoy the bike and watch out for the cagers.

Terry

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks For the replies!! Where do you think i could get parts for this at like new valve covers and and tailpipes??

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

Hi Split, Welcome to the forum.
Don't get too eager to tear into that engine, it may be a small leak from a cam seal or valve cover gasket. Or maybe even farther from the head. Oil can travel in mysterious ways. The smoking is probably just oil that's dripped onto the exhaust.
Riding a Wing is the fun part, not working on it. I think that's why most of us chose them in the first place.
My advice is to clean all the oil off the area, then monitor the bike to see if you can find out where the oil is actually coming from. It's probably nothing serious.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

welcome aboard to the right place to learn grow and enjoy there are a lot of years of experience here to assist

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

:action:Welcome to the forum. Spray down the oily area with brake cleaner and then try and see where it is coming from. Valve cover gaskets are a good place to look. They can be difficult to stop leaking sometimes. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.:D

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
imported post

Welcome to you, good to have some young blood around, I am not to far from you, I am in Kenosha, WI. Sounds like the valve cover gaskets are a good place to start. I think its really cool to have a young Goldwing owner on here

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

split29 wrote:
Thanks For the replies!! Where do you think i could get parts for this at like new valve covers and and tailpipes??
There are several places to get "new" parts for 1100's - shop around a bit you can find alot of different pricing. Bike Bandit was always pretty good to me.
The age of the 1100's can make finding parts a bit tricky - ebay is also a good place to find parts.

Exhaust can be hard to find and expensive when you do. Some people have done a mod replacing there exhaust with harley sportster stock systems. You can usually find them really cheap and my understanding is they aren't to hard to get modified to use on the wings.

Good luck with your 1100 - it was my first wing and in many ways still my favorite.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

contact flyone he and sb in sc are parting out a 1100 and the prices will be right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.