Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to personally invite everyone to come if you can. Wanted to give plenty of notice this time. Im sure the motels are about booked up but I have a extra room and always have my yard. Also we have thousands of acres of National Forest around us. As well as Lakes and Rivers. I dug up some of my pins, I have them all but who's counting! If you would like any other info just PM me, its no problem.

http://basecampbaker.com/wp/events/calendar-events/?mc_id=1565

https://www.facebook.com/hellscanyonrally/

http://hellscanyonmotorcyclerally.com/

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,427 Posts
that would be fun,

but there are a lot of mountains between here and there, that my truck can't pull my Toy Hauler up and over.

plus the timing is the same week that I will spending time with my sister from Utah over in Colorado Springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a Texas native I have driven that road so much I think i can do it blind folded! Think if my memory is correct fastest was 28 hours. To Wichita falls Texas.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep they do trucking repair also, Seems like EW Moran was close to them. I had family that worked in the Oil Field, still do actually. There good folks though, fair prices on repairs and back it up with service. Funny in a way, small world. I was born in Texas and lived there until i joined the Army in 86 you remember when Kadaffi told Regan to bring it and we did, LOL! Also during Bush and Panama, and Desert Shield and Storm. Worked corrcetions in tex and okla for a while but the systems are under paid so moved to oregon soon to retire with 22yrs.
I miss fishing in Oklahoma though, ten-killer, Eufalla, and lower Boggy Noodling. Every weekend I spent around Pauls Valley and Stonewall and Ada. Hunting here is better though I have learned a new passion, and fish the Snake River for big Cats.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
but there are a lot of mountains between here and there, that my truck can't pull my Toy Hauler up and over.
Spoken like a true flatlander.:grin3:
Looking at the altitude profile and grade graph "Where did you get those?" I only see one climb at 5% that would be much of a struggle.
Here 8% plus grades are not all that uncommon.

·
Administrator
57,427 Posts
Dennis,,

that is way the gawd to much out of the way....
and besides, after having lived in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico for most of 30 years, I have seen those roads. :)

I-40 has some pretty good inclines, especially on the east side of Cline's Corners, and around Tucumcari.

Then there is getting into the Flagstaff area, nice little grades there too.

Ken, you can see that at https://www.flattestroute.com/

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats fine, Or I'll straighten up the spare bedroom. Some camp at Phillips lake as well and Antony Lakes. Anthony (High Mountain lake) will still have snow in spots but Phillips is nice.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wanted to share this.

BAKER CITY: After this year, no more Hell's Canyon Motorcycle Rally.
The reason, according to the organizer Kurt Miller, says with business and family obligations we don’t have the time to pursue this, so we are working hard to make this one the best we’ve ever had.
(A letter from the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally)
2018 is to be the final year of the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally. After 19 years the organizers have decided to go out on a high note with the best rally ever! This year will see the arrival of the Indian Motorcycle National Road Show and a return of Flat Track Racing.
The rally has put Baker County on the map as one of the truly great places in America to ride. Rally weekend has become the largest economic event of the year for Baker and the surrounding counties. Some view the rally as a once a year event. The true and lasting legacy is the year-round tourism it has created. Fifteen years ago, you hardly ever saw a motorcycle in town, but you now see them throughout the riding season. These same people return in their cars with their families throughout the year. Several people have relocated to Baker City after attending the rally.
The organizers are also proud of their other accomplishments. They include: the funding to purchase both of Baker City’s Drug Dogs, over $60,000 they helped Baker High School raise for their sports programs, the purchase of 2 Dual Sport motorcycles for the police department, the purchase of bicycle helmets for children, purchase of electrical equipment for use during the Miners Jubilee and countless other groups and charities that the riders have supported throughout the county.
We would like to thank all of our great partners and sponsors: High Desert Harley Davidson, Sawtooth Indian, Baker City Police Department, Baker City Public Works Department, Baker High School, Baker Truck Corral & Restaurant, the VFW Club, Baker County Sheriff’s Department, Larry and Rosemary Able, Dan Ermovick, Greg Maddox, Christian Motorcycle Association, Baker City Rotary Club, Baker City Lions Club, US Bank, and the Baker County Chamber of Commerce.
But most of all we would like to thank you, the people of Baker County. You welcomed the riders with open arms and provided them with a great adventure away from the urban madness. Your hospitality is legendary among riders and will serve the community well into the future.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the Harley Dealership in Boise Idaho has decided to sponsor the rally so it will continue to thrive. We actually skipped most of the events and decided to ride this year, covered a lot of miles 400+ some days. All in all we had a great time, seen a lot of country, was Great to tag along with the Eagle Riders on there Ride as well as Rode with the Legion Riders, both great groups. Spoke to several Patriot Guard folks while hanging out at the rally. So many great groups were represented.
This is the facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/hellscanyonrally/photos/a.273765051088/10155779880826089/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts