Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Ya'll,

Does anybody have a resource for buying the connectors commonly used in the J&M style headsets? Or can you tell me what the name of that style connector is? I'm talking about the little 5 and 8 pin round connectors that plug into the helmets, and the 5 pin D shaped connectors that plug into the short cords comming from the helmet. I can look online but I don't know what the name of these connectors is, and there are about 50,000 different connectors in the world.

I am tired of buying replacement connector cordsfrom retailers at the price they are and would like to make up a more durable set but I don't know the name of the connector or find them anywhere.

I'm not talking about the 5 pin DIN connector that plugs into the bike, those are easy to come up with.

Thanks a bunch for looking and have a good day.

Happy birthday to Wingnut Jr., Sonof the founder of thebest Goldwing site in the world.

:clapper:

MikeW

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Well no one has answered this one, because maybe there is no answer? I have no idea where you can get the actual end connectors for the headset cables. I would assume they are special made for J and M, and not an available product to the public.

If it helps you can purchase a more economical older style helmet pigtail and hook up drop cable and just plug that into the headset. You do not have to buy the 50 dollar new style D connector, as the older cable sets will plug into the headset.

I carry a spare myself, as sometimes one of them will act up, so I have a spare stuck in the trunk.

Kit

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Kit for replying.

I recently came across the same "style" connector in a video application, which leads me to believe that the connectors are not special made for J&M. They are just an application of that connector style. Somebody somewhere knows the number for those connectors or the name for that style. I am searching the web for it, but it's a big ocean. I was hoping someone else may have had the same idea and knew the answer. There may not be one, but I am hoping there is. There would be a lot of people interested in this if we can find it.

Come on ya'll. Who knows, speak up!

Thanks everyone.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Ludwig, you are so close there, but I think Mike W means the D shaped small plug that seems fairly exclusive to J&M. I don't now have J&M headsets, but I do remember the plug you mean Mike and don't remember seeing them elswhere, so I guess that even if they are around, they are not very commonly used. :baffled:

If you are getting repeated problems with the J&M's ( and I did also with that pigtail lead:() perhaps the money spent on replacement leads might be better spent on different make of headset, like "Edsets", for instance which come highly recommended by members in the US I believe.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

Pete

I'm now not sure. As much as I understood Mike, he's talking about the upper plug of the cable that connects the helmet installation with the bike.

Hmmm ... I checked the J&M homepage
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=12
and I think I know now what you are talking about.

When you are having a look at the pictures in the upper link.
The upper helmets have the connector you are talking about, the lower have what I'm talking about (and have at home).
And for the lower are the plugs I send the first link.

Anything else? Mike has to search at a component supplier.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.