Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking into getting a Helmet Camera to record some of my rides or to show to the insurance company if need be . . .

I was curious what the group’s experience has been using helmet cams and what works bests.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

You mention using it to show the insurance company if needed. Keep in mind that if you get into an accident and you are even partially at fault, it can and will be used against you.If apolice officer doing the investigation discovers you have it, he will confiscate it to preserve the evidence. If you fouled up, it will be used against you. They are doing that with GPS units too. GPS units that keep a track log record speed from moment to moment, and if you were speeding at the time of the accident, the track log is entered as evidence against you.

I would bet that the camera would be the same situation.

So it could help you if you are in the right, but it could hurt you if you are in the wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Pretty hard to beat the GoPro set up for a motorcycle/helmet camera. Lots of people using these little cameras and they take great video.

Don't know about using a camera as evidence against yourself, maybe so. But I have my doubts aboutthem using a GPS to determine your speed at the time of the crash. It would be too easy to show how a GPS lies about the speed when it loses a signal for a short period of time.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
You mention using it to show the insurance company if needed. Keep in mind that if you get into an accident and you are even partially at fault, it can and will be used against you.If apolice officer doing the investigation discovers you have it, he will confiscate it to preserve the evidence. If you fouled up, it will be used against you. They are doing that with GPS units too. GPS units that keep a track log record speed from moment to moment, and if you were speeding at the time of the accident, the track log is entered as evidence against you.
Most GPS devices have an option to turn the log off.
Mine is turned OFF.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

We've discussed the GPS problem in other threads. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I was just using it as an example at how your own toys can be used against you, and I was comparing it to what I fear could be a problem using a helmet cam.
I have a handle bar mount for my camera and I occasionally take videos. But I don't use it when I am riding "too spiritedly" so to speak. It would be my luck to record my own mistakes and have them displayed for my own legal demise.
ChaosandConfusion mentioned a possible use to protect himself using the camera and I wanted to point out that it could be a double edge sword.
But he was asking about a good helmet cam set up and I would ask that we return to the original topic.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,735 Posts
imported post

I agree, guilty of thread hijack.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

All the professionals use 'Go Pro'. The quality from these cameras is outstanding.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Rudy. It is amazing of all of the micro cameras that are out there and the quality of their video is very good. I think for $40 I might try the 808.

Love your picture; is that an undercover cop trying to infiltrate a motorcycle gang?
:ROFL::laughing:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

ChaosandConfusion wrote:
Thanks Rudy. It is amazing of all of the micro cameras that are out there and the quality of their video is very good. I think for $40 I might try the 808.

Love your picture; is that an undercover cop trying to infiltrate a motorcycle gang?
:ROFL::laughing:
Yep that #11 is amazing in it's quality. Side to side movement of the camera is not that smooth but steady forward is amazing as you can see from the samples he shot. I have a few up that show it hand held and how it deals with varying light backgrounds and some side movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8EboZepqD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alW58bM4FCg

eletech086 is the vendor I got mine from on ebay and he shipped fast and was very good. Here is his current auction number for it: 160595839562
Just under $40 delivered in about a week or just over.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Geezuz that looks like the lunar rover sitting on top your helmet.:ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.