Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have one of the new Scala Rider G4 headset. It has blue-tooth to another headset for bike to bike communication, plug blue-tooth to the cel phone for hands free calls. I've been not that impressed with the reception and clarity of the blue-tooth connection to another G4, and at speed (65mph) i cant hear anything from the other rider.



I'll looking at replacing it with a J&M headset and tie into the CB on the bike.

What set is everyone using? hows the sound and mic pickup?

I'm currently riding with a Scorpion EXO1000 full face helmet.
 

·
Lost on this *****
Joined
·
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have the J&M, but I can't say what model right now. But I do think it's one of the "Lower End" models and it has been working very well for me. I only use it for the intercom, CB, and music,,,,,,,,, not interested in talking on the cell while rolling/cruising along.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
imported post

I also have the G4 and have no problem up to about 70 with hearing the other rider. Have you updated the units to newest profile firm ware? Do you have the intercom volume turned all the way up? Move the earphone closer to your ears using foam rubber behind the speakers. If you are hearing wind noise then I would blame it on the helmets and not the G4's and switching to J & M won't change that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
imported post

I have the Q2 headset. Even with a full face helmet I have to turn the volume up to max to hear the other person while on the phone. I have a hard time even then hearing our home phone but can hear my wifes cell phone pretty good.

The radio feature works good but the frequency response is terrible at the low end. The output is extremely high frequency and that just hurts my ears.I have moved the speakers closer to my ears using velcro as a spacer, and it has helped but nowhere near what I think it should be.



I am going to try and make a "pocket" in the center (like a real speaker has) and see if that helps with the low end frequencies.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
imported post

Ditch your Q2's and go to the G4's - a WORLD of difference! See if a friend has one you can borrow, you'll love how they sound.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,919 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
I have the J&M, but I can't say what model right now . . .

x 2.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle Jack wrote:
Ditch your Q2's and go to the G4's - a WORLD of difference! See if a friend has one you can borrow, you'll love how they sound.
It'll be a while before I can financially do it. The CFO was not happy when I bought the Q2 set, so I am stuck with it for a while.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
93 Posts
imported post

I picked up a Chatterbox Bluetooth unit to go with my HJC bluetooth ready helmet. Seems to work well for calls, audio books, and music. However the listen time is under 3 hours. May sound long but I drive an hour each way for work and then add lunch to that and It runs out of battery for me. Thinking of taking it back and getting one that just ties into the bike system and not take calls.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25 Posts
imported post

theonegod wrote:
Thinking of taking it back and getting one that just ties into the bike system and not take calls.
AKE HC-2 from Spoiled Biker is what you want.

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
imported post

The only solution I have found to this problem is the Nolan N-COM system for the GW, combined with a N-COM blue tooth. Never run out of power and always use the bikes IC system.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,424 Posts
imported post

Motorcycle Jack wrote:
I also have the G4 and have no problem up to about 70 with hearing the other rider. Have you updated the units to newest profile firm ware? Do you have the intercom volume turned all the way up? Move the earphone closer to your ears using foam rubber behind the speakers. If you are hearing wind noise then I would blame it on the helmets and not the G4's and switching to J & M won't change that.
Itoo had a problem with volume on my G4 until I also relocated the earphone closer to my ear. Ireally likeit now.My wife has a different helmet and has no problem with the location, your helmet may require this modification.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,840 Posts
imported post

fishblock wrote:
I have one of the new Scala Rider G4 headset. It has blue-tooth to another headset for bike to bike communication, plug blue-tooth to the cel phone for hands free calls. I've been not that impressed with the reception and clarity of the blue-tooth connection to another G4, and at speed (65mph) i cant hear anything from the other rider.



I'll looking at replacing it with a J&M headset and tie into the CB on the bike.

What set is everyone using? hows the sound and mic pickup?

I'm currently riding with a Scorpion EXO1000 full face helmet.
I have never used the Scala Rider's, but I can tell you that speaker position in helmets is very important. I have J&M, Chatterbox and Motocomm headsets and none worked worth beans until they were properly positioned in line with my ear, and the closer to the ear the better.

J&M also makes a Bluetooth system but again, I have not used them. They are expensive but people that have bought them seem satisfied with them.

I use the mid-range J&M wired headsets and I'm very satisfied with them. I have their CFRG integrator system with the Bluetooth module to get my cell phone into the system. Unfortunately they are no longer selling the one for the 1500's so you would have to find one on ebay or old stock at a vendor. If you want more info on that let me know and I'll get you some part numbers. It's not an inexpensive system either though.

John
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
The only solution I have found to this problem is the Nolan N-COM system for the GW, combined with a N-COM blue tooth. Never run out of power and always use the bikes IC system.
Does the N-Com wire to the bike but have a Bluetooth system in the headset? How is it powered?

Thanks,
John
 

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
imported post

We have the Senna bluetooth head sets. Really like them and the ability to patch phone, music, 2 way radio, and can do the radar detector and GPS. Kind of information overload for us old guys but the younger set could probably figure out how to text over them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
256 Posts
imported post

Edsets - excellent sound quality. Bought a microphone splitter too. With a Garmin Zumo gps and Bluetooth phone you can have phone communication, directions, AM/FM radio, CB, & mp3 music all piped into your headset.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well my big problem with the G4 is when riding at freeway speeds, I buddy I ride with sounds like he is talking on a really bad swquak box. I normaly dont talk on the phone (normaly i will pull over) The funny part, when I had the q2 I didnt have an audio problem till the mic broke.
I have the wired mic and I have the latest firmware flash on the G4.

Anyone try to jam both scala and JM in the same helmet?
the group I ride with uses CB to relay info durring the ride.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
415 Posts
imported post

J & M does what I need.....except I don't have the GPS in my headset just yet...any suggestions....cheap suggestions?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,390 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Kimswang wrote:
The only solution I have found to this problem is the Nolan N-COM system for the GW, combined with a N-COM blue tooth. Never run out of power and always use the bikes IC system.
Does the N-Com wire to the bike but have a Bluetooth system in the headset? How is it powered?

Thanks,
John
The blue tooth part of the system is powered with a battery lasting a minimum of 8 hours. However, the whole system can be used without power on the bluetooth with exeption of the phone (microphone). Most of the time I don't even use the bluetooth riding two up. If someone calls me I simply push the button to turn it on and call them back, all while cruising along. There is no way I will talk for 8 hours a day on the phone, in fact 8 minutes a week is stretching it for me....



Riding by myself I often turn it on and enjoy the music from my iPhone directly through bluetooth, the only thing not working this way is the CB....



I am contemplating buying a Zumo 665 but have issues with the fact that the only thing I will achieve different from my motion-X setup is the ability to transfer a route to my GPS. With the motion-X I can put in 9 waypoints between where I am and the destination and so far it has brought me to all the scenery routes I wanted to see without one hickup. $900,- is a lot of parts, gas, and tiresin exchange for a GPS that will load routes made on the computer as I can program the Motion-X in about 3 minutes...
 

·
Best looking member
Joined
·
3,107 Posts
imported post

Edsets wired, sounds great, great quality and fantastic service. I ride my bike to get away from my cell phone and phones in general. :?:?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top