Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I took the MSF course in VA. As many know they thoroughly stress the use of a helmet and protective gear. I frankly couldn't fathom riding without a helmet, even around the block.

Would it be a safe assessment that the people that don't wear a helmet or other gear did not take the course? Does KY have an MSF course?
BTWI'm not trying to start anotherhelmet law thread, just a question that came to mind.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

Don't know for sure, but I would think that a person concerned with safety would be more likely to both take the course and wear a helmet....... I did and do......
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
imported post

Jack like they say a picture is worth 1000 words......

I would always wear a helmet even if there was a law here in Bama that says you didn't have too. I use to work in Fire & Rescue and have picked up alot of people from motorcycle accidents that did not wear one and it was not a good site. Most of the ones that did wear them had minor or no head injuries. My 2cents.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
716 Posts
imported post

Chris,

Yes the wearing of helmets is stressed in the MSF course. I teach the BRC and ERC. Yet you will still see a student not wearing one every now and then particularly here in Idaho and Montana where there are no helmet laws if you are over 18. An awful lot of the students we see are taking the class only to get an endorsement. The other folks that are taking the class to refresh/improve their skills are wearing helmets anyways.
I don't really have a good answer to your question, other than an attitude that nothing will ever happen to me.



Tim :bat:
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,841 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Would it be a safe assessment that the people that don't wear a helmet or other gear did not take the course? Does KY have an MSF course?
BTWI'm not trying to start anotherhelmet law thread, just a question that came to mind.
I wouldn't assume that. There are a lot of riders out there that don't wear helmets all the time, and I'd bet that there are more than a miniscule percentage of them that have taken an MSF course. I could be wrong and it would be interesting to see the numbers. This could make a good poll, assuming it doesn't turn into a bashing thread. I'm a helmet wearer myself, all the time, and I've had theexperienced riders course,but I think it should be riders choice.

John
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

ScooterTramp wrote:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
406 Posts
imported post

Helmet or no-helmet, motorcycling is a somewhat dangerous activity, a helmet improves odds of survive-ability, good thing, as does, how you ride, where you ride, your experience behind the handle bars, I have always felt that motorcycling is a sport that mainly requires experience to get you through it, young and stupid, hopefully you'll live through it, older and wiser, your odds are much greater for surviving since you aren't doing the stupid crap like going 145 mph like I did when I was 22 yrs old, I'm on a gold wing and I'm a tea-drinker, not a boiler-maker slammer, so-to-speak, anymore, when I'm riding the bikethat is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,129 Posts
imported post

Ahhhhh, I look at it as Gods Way of "Thinning the Herd"

I would go without at times, AND DO at times.

Even though here in Ny the land of Taxes and too many rules. It's totally Illegal.

I still think it's the will of the few governing the many.

I don't mind wearing it and seat belts at times.

BUT

I purely hate to Made to do it.

JMO

Mohawk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,642 Posts
imported post

I always wear one, like Cousin Jack's pic, it saved his noggin.

My helmet saved my noggin, and I still remember the sound of the helmet hitting the pavement to this day..........

I wear a couple of different one depending on my mood and the weather.

I made a promise to myself and my mom that when I started riding bikes again that I would wear one. If it wasn't for helmets I might not be here. My dad was wearing a helmet when he crashed a plane that lost the engine on takeoff and it split his helmet down the center..........



Just my 2 cents worth.................
 

·
Senior Memory
Joined
·
613 Posts
imported post

As a firefighter I have seen or talked to other firefighters that have seen way too many bike wrecks. In NC it is law to wear a helmet so I follow the law. I would wear one reguardless though. My observations in my area is this....

Most bike crashes here are by sports bikes (Crotch Rockets)speeding and doing stunts on the streets and highways. Wheelies seem to take most of the bikers out. The very few cruisers I have seen in accidents are usually due to inattention or another vehicle turning infront of a bike. In all these cases I have looked at helmets and they have sever damage at any speed. The majority of the riders I have delt with have lived because of proper gear. With that said I have also seen or been told of too many accidents at high speed where nothin would have kept the rider alive. Majority of the fatalities have been very high speed (above 100mph) and stupid moves like wheelies or weaving in and out. My conclusion is not scientific but more common sense.... Wear the proper gear (Helmets, Skid jackets etc.) Give yourself a fighting chance. And no I dont think the Gov. should decide what we wear but common sense should kick in at some point. I see those dead people in my mind when I ride and it keeps me alert!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
658 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
BTWI'm not trying to start anotherhelmet law thread, just a question that came to mind.
You can't ask about the need for helmets without starting exactly that. Why would a safety course be the discisive reason for choosing a helmet or not?

I have taken the local safety course, offered here by Abate. They preach helmets. This is a state where it's legal and common for riders to not use helmts. I ride without one on occasion. I love the riding experience of riding without a helmet way more than with. You can show me all the pictures of smashed in heads that there are and I will still know that the experience without a helmet is a better ride to me. I assume one's philosophy on life and death comes in to play. People who take unnecessary risks, like riding without a helmet, cannot be understood by those who won't, and visa versa. The whole philosophical vibe is different. It's like trying to get conservatives and liberals together on a plan to run the government.

I recently went out and bought a nice helmet thinking if I was going to ride as much as I seem to be, I should get protective gear. I put it on every day for about a month. Now I'm riding more without it again. Put "here lies dummy but he is ok with that" on my headstone. Putting a helmet on is kind of like being locked in a chastity belt. I'm not sure that would be any kind of life for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
imported post

Hey Bamaeagle, I am pretty sure the last time I read the regs, Alabama is still a helmet state. Could be wrong on that but I don't think so.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,841 Posts
imported post

cntryboy1289 wrote:
Hey Bamaeagle, I am pretty sure the last time I read the regs, Alabama is still a helmet state. Could be wrong on that but I don't think so.
That's actually what he said. He just said it a little backwards.;)
"even if there was a law here in Bama that says you didn't have too."

bbach wrote:
You can't ask about the need for helmets without starting exactly that. Why would a safety course be the discisive reason for choosing a helmet or not?
I disagree. First, he didn't ask about the need for helmets. He wasasking if it could be assumed that people that don't ride with helmetshave never had an MSF safety course.

Second, "Why would a safety course be the discisive reason for choosing a helmet or not" is the question. The question being, does the MSF safety course have an effect on whether the rider chooses to ride with a helmet or not and if so, how much of an affect does it have?

I am a bit surprised about something you said though. I didn't realize that Abate even had a safety course program and even more surprised that they would preach helmet use in their program. From what I know about their organization they are all about riders choice, so why would they preach safety gear? It's an honest question, not a debate, simply because I see a bit of a dichotomy in the two stances.

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,947 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I didn't realize that Abate even had a safety course program and even more surprised that they would preach helmet use in their program. From what I know about their organization they are all about riders choice, so why would they preach safety gear? It's an honest question, not a debate, simply because I see a bit of a dichotomy in the two stances.
Abate is about education. They're also about freedom of choice. Some chapters do offer, sponsor, and even give for the county/state, rider education safety courses.

Educating a person on the safety aspects of a helmet fall right into what ABATE was originally intended for.

My opinion, you can tell someone that a helmet will make them safer in a crash...yet you can still CHOOSE not to wear one yourself.

It's about choice
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
658 Posts
imported post

Yea our local Abate chapter is pretty much the sole motorcycle safety course around. It's either you are going to take the Abate safety course or non at all here.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
61 Posts
imported post

Illinois and Wisconsin don't have laws. I go both ways. If it is real hot I don't always wear one.



Wisconsin is not likely to put the law in again and risk bikers being camped out on the capital lawn 24-7 until it is reversed. (happened last time)



Now I flew my airplane around all the time, in all kinds of IFR weather,and I never wear a parachute. The only time I wore a chute is when I had an acro plane. You have to plan not to crash.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

ccsial wrote:
Now I flew my airplane around all the time, in all kinds of IFR weather,and I never wear a parachute. The only time I wore a chute is when I had an acro plane. You have to plan not to crash.
You know, I "planned not to crash" into an unseen deer in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last year...... wifie and I crashed anyway and damn near got our tickets punched.......silly $100 helmet saved my life......silly deercame out of the long grass unseen until it filled up my windscreen! Must of been something wrong with my "planning........!"


I sure looked stupid in that helmet......

I think I'll wear a helmet anyway.......

"stupid looking and alive" beats "looking cool and dead" any old time!
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top