Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK I got a 1985 aspy and I was trying to find helmets for it that are hondaline and have the mics and are painted to match bike.I have never used the intercom system on a goldwing and would like to use it as its on the bike. I like the open face helmets from the 80s as they allow you to get air and not feel like you are in a cage.I dont know anything about the old helmets or mics and was looking for advice .Do they still make mic kits and headphones that will work on the old bike?(its a 5 pin I think maybe [email protected]) I was hoping for some advice ,get the vintiage helmets or get new and have painted?(how much will that cost)and install headset and mic(how much will that cost)or just keep lookin for vintage helmets? I want to go though Canada and will be required to wear helmet so thats why I am asking as I havent wore helmet in years and dont want to waste budget. Any Ideas or thoughts would be helpful thanks in advance.:waving:

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

Well if your budget limited, you might want to watch Ebay for used helmets. If you want new, they are not cheap. I bought a couple of HJC Modulars, have seen too many helmets on this board that show how much that front section will save your face. I paid about $220 per helmet, and about $170 or more for the headset/mic per helmet. Try ebay, or be willing to shell out some cash.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts
imported post

Used is NOT an option for me.

I don't want the fecal contamination on my head from prior mice or poor hygiene.

I also don't want to risk that the protective liner is no longer any good. How old is it?

I view helmets just like the insurance policy that covers me and my bikes. You may never need them, but damn, when you do, the cost of it won't even be a part of your thinking during that slide on asphalt.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

i have two helmets that came with my wing when i bought it.
they are Z1R's and you can google them to find a dealer,i think they are around 180$.you can get the head sets from leatherup.com for 125$,cheapest i have found,they are J&M head sets. going to replace mine as soon as it gets to cold
or snowing and give my wing a rest for awhile:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I'm with John....used is not an option. Don't skimp on your helmet. I prefer the Shoei RJ Platinum R http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?RJ-Platinum R&h=11&t=1 Pricy, but worth it. The 5 pin headset units from J&M will work with your bike. I bought the Platinum R and installed the J&M units myself.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Lots of decent helmets both 3/4 which I prefer and modular for under $100 dollars right now. Motorcycle Superstore has a sale on Bell Modulars for around $80. I was just looking at some a couple days ago at their store. I wear a 3/4 helmet a Bell Mag8 when the weather is nasty since it has a nice pull down visor to keep the spray off my face in the rain and the cold off in winter. One thing I prefer about the 3/4 helmet is that they are quieter, very little wind noise. Some people will sneer at the lower priced helmets but they are still DOT approved. Some claim if your helmet isn't SNELL approved it's inadquate, but there are studies that refute that. Be sure to try on what ever you like before buying, sizes and shapes are a lot different between brands.

I've been using a Chatterbox head set in my Bell helmet, it's a cheapo but has done the job for several years now. Edsets are popular here too. J&M are good. All the Goldwings and I believe HD use the same DIN plug and socket.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I don't want the fecal contamination on my head from prior mice or poor hygiene.
I admit it, I'm a Sh1thead. I like vintage gear, including helmets. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i truely love my hjc is2 half helmet nice and cool, the padding is very comfortable for the price, the hidden visor comes halfway down my face to block rain and the sun glare all for 100ish bucks

i'll stand by it anytime great helmet for the money

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_KPsalq0M

kinda crappy demonstration but it does show the shield function that i love

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Check out the Nolan N-43's. That should be a perfect match for you.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

After seeing several folks here on the forum get banged up I decided to go with a full face Shoei helmet. I tried on several and the Shoei fit perfect right off. I did have to change the cheek pads to the thinner ones but that's not a problem.

I was agonizing over the price in the store when the wife brought it all into perspective. She said, you just bought me a pistol to carry in my purse for my protection that cost XXX. I hope to never have to use it. You will wear this helmet every time you ride the bike and I hope you never have to use it...... What is your safety worth?

Made me think and I went ahead and got it. It is even pretty cool during our blistering last summer. I was really surprised by that. Since I ride by myself I bought and installed the Cardo Scala rider bluetooth set. The music is pretty tinny but the phone comes thru pretty good, especially cell phones.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

As a ret. Paramedic, let me advise you NOT to buy used helmets. Also, I am on the cheap,too, but found brand new Hawk helmets this year, with the modular face, and pilot style sun shields inside the clear shield. Kinda heavy, but super comfortable and quiet. Cost was about $110.00 each, minus the headsets. I tranferred our old headsets to them easily. About a month later, I saw the same helmets for $70.00 on sale at "Leather Up" on the web! I'd rather see someone wearing a good quality halfshell, than a old used helmet that may have stress cracks in it. JMO jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
imported post

Finding a helemt that is comfortable is more important than cost in my opinion. If it is not comfortable then you have wasted your money. I must have an oval head because Shoei is the only one that I have found that is comfortable for me. I love the Nolan N90, but it fits like an HJC so it must be for round headed people.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Here ya go:

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/archives/PDF/Blowing_the_Lid_Off.pdf

Wifey and I wear $100 DOT helmets only, fullface, because the article quoted above suggests that DOT "softer helmets" absorb more G-forces in a crash than the SNELL "harder shells," which are better able to protect against sharp impacts. You can never predict what kind of impact you're gonna suffer, but there is some reason to believe that a blunt impact is more likely than a sharp, penetrating impact...... and I know that a DOT $100 helmet worked for me and my incomparably better half at least once!

And any helmet is better than none, and fullface or modular better than 1/2 or 3/4 helmets (at least if you value your face)..... my humble opinion only of course, but I have had my face in the gravel!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

wow that was funny AZgl1500 I choked on my tea. Well keep the comments coming.And after Cousin Jack pics makes me wake up.I like the helmet that peterbilt posted thats nice and lets me get air.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Just to add to CJ's already fine contribution to the thread.

This was kinda an "easy" get-off for me. About 18 mo ago, Honda GL-1200.

Glad my helmet choice is full-face.

That spot down by the chin would'a hurt........ :bow:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

I too have looked for matching helmets but have no yet even found anyone to affordably paint them. i have 3 that came with bike but interiors are crumbling.

J&M has been making the headsets for honda for years, i took one off the origanal helmet with there name on it. they still make them for all goldwings, i have talked with them a few times , very freindly and helpful.

http://www.jmcorp.com/index.htm

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

I prefer the flip up helmets, easier to put on and can flip up for sun shade. i use the cycle gear brand bilt, which normally are 199.99, but are on sale for 99.99.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

There is new helmets on ebay with dual visiors and they are cheap 55.00 thats fair and they are new.I wonder if I can get a rattle can from honda and paint it to match bike?3m green scrub pad and some paint cant be that hard then let someone air brush when im done?:?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

wow rgbeard thats harsh to was it gravel or what?I sure like open face because of air but you guys with pics are wakin me up wow.I guess im lucky never been down and been ridin sense i was 12 yrs old.(old wise biker said onece there are those who have went down and there are those that will go down)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.