Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike doesn't have any type of factory radioon/in it and I don't know if that would've included any accessory connections to do what I'm looking for anyway.

I'd like to finda dependable, hands free, "helmet to helmet" intercom setup without the trial and error of making something. I'm notmuch interested in music capabilities etc., just something that will enable me totalk with a passenger when needed. Is anyone familar with anything that's worth looking at? I've not had too much luck finding anything that's worth a damn.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

try looking on the nolan helmet website DW, i seem to remember them having a bluetooth seup that would cater to your needs..............:goofygrin::goofygrin:

·
Administrator
58,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The ones in any of these suggestions look like what I'm after. I'll look at themcloser when I get home this eve. andmaybe get somethingfigured out.

Thanks much...

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

http://tinyurl.com/23jt8n

Try buying 2 of these, they can be linked together using the instructions provided on the Motorola website. http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/demos/headsets/index.html

Look under advanced operations, using your headset as walkie talkies.

I have a couple coming, I'll post a review when I get them set up and tested. I know some of the 1800 boards are "singing their praises".

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Chatterbox is what I have, the FRS-X2 http://www.chatterboxusa.com/x2.html

There's also the CB-50 but I havent tried it http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cb_50.html

I bought a kit because it was convenient in stock at the bike shop.

The VOX works alot better now that I have a higher windshield breaking the wind which would activate the circuit constantly.

Rider to passenger sounds real good but the volume is limited. Sometimes in unusually noisy areas we cant hear very good.

Battery life is impressive, 2 days riding between charges and that's with alot of use.

The Chatterbox headsets sounds real tinny and dont produce ANY bass so I'll be looking for 2 new headsets sometime.

IMO, the FRS-X2 is overpriced for what you get.
I think the CB-50 would be a much better deal but look for good quality sounding headsets.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I just turn my head and talk.
It's a Goldwing!
I can hear her fine as is.

No batts no cords, no repairs and when needed, no response.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dan filipi wrote:
The VOX works alot better now that I have a higher windshield breaking the wind which would activate the circuit constantly.
I've broken wind with my lower windshield and it never opened the VOX on my Chatterbox headsets.

·
12,838 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
dan filipi wrote:
I've broken wind with my lower windshield and it never opened the VOX on my Chatterbox headsets.
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Without acontrol on the vox to vary the sensitivity for each headset,I'd also wonderedaboutproblemswith the wind (over the w/shld. that is :goofygrin:). I figured that itmight not be be a problem for the forward person so much as it could be for theonebehind. With withfull face helmets and having the mic in behind the chin grd., it might be OK though. :baffled:

If I'm looking at thead right, it looks like the ST-1has theability to carry on a conversation w/a passenger through a built in intercomm "without" the need to have radios on the bike... but then if riding with others, you can alsocommunicate w/them using2-ways, and the headset in the ST-1. Am I looking at that right?

That ST-1 having normal ptt insteadof vox, might eliminate somemic. problems in the wind.

Thanks again to everyone...

·
12,838 Posts
imported post

DW in Id. wrote:
If I'm looking at thead right, it looks like the ST-1has theability to carry on a conversation w/a passenger through a built in intercomm "without" the need to have radios on the bike... but then if riding with others, you can alsocommunicate w/them using2-ways, and the headset in the ST-1. Am I looking at that right?
That ST-1 having normal ptt insteadof vox, might eliminate somemic. problems in the wind.
You are correct, it is a full self-contained intercom system with everything you need, including two headsets with both the boom mic for open face helmets and chin guard attached mic for full face helmets. It comes with all cables necessary for hooking up the peripherals as well. For bike to bike communication, you will need to purchase separately a FRS/GMRS radio or hand held CB radio, depending on what the other bike is using.

The PTT is for communication on the two-way radio, not for intercom. The intercom is full duplex hands free. Wind noise has not been a problem for me, but there is 3 settings for mic sensitivity anyway. :)

John

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OK, I seenow. I have many radios so that won'tbe a problem, I just didn't have a "simple"way to get anintercomset up. With the ST-1 thing, it shouldmake everything simpler, intercom and comm. to another bike as well.

I just ordered an ST-1 and should hopefully have it by the end of the week.

Thanks again to all.:waving:

·
12,838 Posts
imported post

You're welcome. I hope you like it as much as I do.:)

John

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
dan filipi wrote:
Did this produce any response from the passenger???!:dude:

·
12,838 Posts
imported post

Scooter 7 wrote:
exavid wrote:
dan filipi wrote:
Did this produce any response from the passenger???!:dude:
Probably depends on if she heard it. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

I got them hooked up Friday night and rode with them Sat and Sunday. They work in my opinion really well. I love the fact they have no wires to mess with. On Saturday they worked great at interstate speeds, no winds. On Sunday we rode some back roads and it was about 30mph winds. The wind noise did drown out the volume some. On both days they had to be at max volume, but I only remember having to ask my wife to repeat herself twice.We both wear full face helmets and speaker placement is critical, the speaker has to be right over your ear. For the price paid and nothing else to compare them to, I would say I am 98% satisfied. Hope this helps.

rogergayla21 wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/23jt8n

Try buying 2 of these, they can be linked together using the instructions provided on the Motorola website. http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/demos/headsets/index.html

Look under advanced operations, using your headset as walkie talkies.

I have a couple coming, I'll post a review when I get them set up and tested. I know some of the 1800 boards are "singing their praises".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.