Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend has a GL1200i without an intercom system. She is looking at a helmet to helmet intercom system.

She is looking at JC Witney and they have two that look pretty much the same, but one is a "Town" model which is rated for around town use, speeds up to 45mph. The other is a "Highway" model rated for highway use, speeds up to 70mph.

I would think that the highway model is set up to filter out more wind noise.

But they are both the same price. So the question comes to mind, "Why wouldn't everyone just by the Highway model?" Can anyone think of a reason that there wouldbe a disadvantage to this model?

Town model: http://tinyurl.com/37y63b

Highway model: http://tinyurl.com/2qcola

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I looked at both sets of the intercoms and zoomed the photos so I could see them.
First thing that I noticed is the Town model has bare ear pieces and a smaller mike.
The highway model has foam covered ear pieces and a better mike. The amplifier unit also seems to be more heavy duty as does the angle mini plug from headset to the amp unit with the highway model.
I really do not know about either one....but with just looking at them and reasoning it out, I would vote for the highway model. I mean it says it functions up to 70 mph. It surely would work at lower speeds, and I just bet in a full face helmet could be heard pretty good.
I think the only disadvantage with both models would be I think, the amp unit would have to be on all the time, therefore the wind noise would be quite prevalent.

Even on my Wing my wife wears a 3/4 helmet, and the wind noise is a factor with the electronics on it. A good punch in the ribs will get my attention or a tap on the shoulder, I turn it on and talk a bit. Kit

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Wolfman;

In the catalog, on page 33of catalog 140J-03, latest release., the "Town" model is listed for $49.99 CBR264297. Still seems like a goofy choice, to 45 mph.

The "Highway" CBR312178 is $59.99 They both use 4 AAA batteries, not included. However, you can get 4 rechargable batteries & a charger at Wallys.

Another option, on the same page in the Nady, CBR039802 for $79.99 [$10. more with FM radio] with 3 AAA batteries, Volume control & optional power adapter CBR128300 to connect to bike battery for $31.99 & never need batteries & states it will fit full & 3/4 helmets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.