Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sorry about this guys but I'm back on the subject of helmets. I'd appreciate it if any of our american/canadian cousins could tell me if any of them are using the Bell Mag-8 helmet & if so have they the headset system installed. Was it easy to do. I'm having no luck with the Carberg helmet I have. Just can't seem to install the headset.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

medic1 wrote:
Sorry about this guys but I'm back on the subject of helmets. I'd appreciate it if any of our american/canadian cousins could tell me if any of them are using the Bell Mag-8 helmet & if so have they the headset system installed. Was it easy to do. I'm having no luck with the Carberg helmet I have. Just can't seem to install the headset.

Thanks
My brother has a Mag 8 and I plan to get one before winter. I've tried his and find it pretty nice. I don't know what headset you have but I couldn't see any reason why my Chatterbox headset wouldn't go in pretty easy. On our trip this past week we hit three days of rain and I considered doing him in just to get his helmet, I got damn tired of those watery bullets hitting me in the face. That flip down shield looked darn good. It is pretty unobtrusive when retracted up into the visor.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I just got new HJC AC3 helmets. They have built in pouches for the intercom speakers and are dot and snell rated. Cheaper than SHoei too.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

medic1 wrote:

Thanks
Hi medic 1, just bought the latest Nolan flip front, (have older version already)

I went to buy a caberg as a result of a previous posting ( to which you added comment I recal) but got totally sold on the Nolan. It was more comfortable, finished better and I could tell, much better for installing the J&M headsets.

I am chuffed to bits with it. The only advantage with the Caberg, as I could tell was, that the smoked visor is internal on theCaberg, but external on the Nolan.

If you are into ratings, the new Nolan is ACU approved, something flip front helmets are not usually. It also has a double glazed visor which does really work to help stop misting up. This is replaceable seperately.

Came in at about £20 more than Caberg, but I was happy to pay the extra.

Just for the record, my decision was based on comfort and features, rather than approvals and ratings, in case anyone gets uptight again!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Hi medic,

I hadbeen using Nolan N41 Classic open-face with and without headset for several years becauseit had the features I wanted, namely: open-face; peak; flip-up visor. But, and its a big but, a couple of hours wear in any weather (less if very hot) and it was like my head was in a vice.

So, I recently bought, direct from J&M USA, a KBC Tourcom with integrated headset. It turned out to be quite expensive to import it but seemed to be unavailable in the UK. So far it seems more comfortable to wear. Its only drawback (which I knew about) is that it only has a 3-stud fitting peak but no visor (face-shield). It has 5 studs, so a fixed face-shield could replacethe peak, but its not what I want.

Does anyone know of a flip-up face-shield combined with a peak which would suit?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
Does anyone know of a flip-up face-shield combined with a peak which would suit?
Okay, I got the studs to mean snaps, but does a peak correlate to visor in the US?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Exavid,

Ooops! Sorry. Two nations divided by a common language!

Yes, studs are snaps, peak is visor. And faceshield is faceshield but in UK more usually referred to as visor.

Wonder if we could have a sort of auto-translator on this forum; don't know though, my English usually needs pounding into an intelligible form.:?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
Exavid,

Ooops! Sorry. Two nations divided by a common language!

Yes, studs are snaps, peak is visor. And faceshield is faceshield but in UK more usually referred to as visor.

Wonder if we could have a sort of auto-translator on this forum; don't know though, my English usually needs pounding into an intelligible form.:?
Yea but what the heck is "Chuffed" that "Silverfox" has, is it a "Rash"?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

I shouldn't really speak for silverfox but chuffed (in Britain) means very pleased, so I guess 'chuffed to bits' means very, very pleased.

Hope this explains it for you; if not I will be distinctly unchuffed.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Yeah I am well chuffed with the Nolan, and no it doesn't grip my head like a vice after wearing for a while. Are you sure it isn't your head swelling Colbee, with pride and joy at riding a wing:baffled::goofygrin:.

I dare not break into Cockney, or our Cousins will be totally confused, especially Wingdawg. Anyway, time to drag the razor over my Bull and Bush and climb down the apples and pears and take me plates of meat off to work. Oooops I wasn't gonna do that was I :stumped:

Pete

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

What beats me about language is that in those countries where English is not the first language they often speak and write it better than we do!:?

I suppose my head could be swelling but my Nolan was not sympathetic, which reminds me of my original query: does anyone know of a combination visor/flip-up face shield (US version) or peak/flip-up visor (UK version) which would fit a 5-snap/stud helmet?

As an aside, if anyone buys a helmet with integrated headset from J&M (they do it with KBC, Arai and Nolan), their advice about adjustment of volume/balance etc controls should be treated as guidance only. I followed the advice in respect of my KBC and found it totally unsuitable - I could even hear myself breathing and turning my head. One advantage, if that's what turns you on, is that you can sing to yourself in stereo.:dance:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

Singing to myself in stereo or mono would not be a plus. Can't carry a tune worth a flip. I get paid not to sing. Randy

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
What beats me about language is that in those countries where English is not the first language they often speak and write it better than we do!:?

I suppose my head could be swelling but my Nolan was not sympathetic, which reminds me of my original query: does anyone know of a combination visor/flip-up face shield (US version) or peak/flip-up visor (UK version) which would fit a 5-snap/stud helmet?

As an aside, if anyone buys a helmet with integrated headset from J&M (they do it with KBC, Arai and Nolan), their advice about adjustment of volume/balance etc controls should be treated as guidance only. I followed the advice in respect of my KBC and found it totally unsuitable - I could even hear myself breathing and turning my head. One advantage, if that's what turns you on, is that you can sing to yourself in stereo.:dance:
Yes Colbee, that is almost embarrassing, but it shows that we get lazy over English, probably because it is our native tongue, but some of it is down to the language evolving too.

Sorry, can't help on the flip visor/face shield thing, maybe a well stocked helmet shop might shed some light on one.

I occationally break into song whilst riding solo, but I can hear my own voice through the headset and I soon shut up, when I hear the croaking out of tune noise!

Are you going to Blackpool next weekend Colbee? It is a run down the road for you isn't it?

Pete

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

Randy

I understand that 'faraway' is the best song for the likes of you and me and is much appreciated by all.

Pete,

Not sure about Blackpool, even though its only 50 miles. I've got a few pressing things to do (apart from the ironing), and I am not really up for show-boating in large numbers. If you think I'm a boring old f*** and a stick-in-the-mud I'm not for arguing.:pumpkin:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

They always ask me if i can sing "Tenor", "Ten or 15 miles down the Road"!!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

Good one wingdawg. Hadn't heard that one before and with my voice I thought I heard them all. Randy

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Now we are running off thread. :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
Randy

I understand that 'faraway' is the best song for the likes of you and me and is much appreciated by all.

Pete,

Not sure about Blackpool, even though its only 50 miles. I've got a few pressing things to do (apart from the ironing), and I am not really up for show-boating in large numbers. If you think I'm a boring old f*** and a stick-in-the-mud I'm not for arguing.:pumpkin:
That's fine, I'm not for sticking labels on folks, so if it don't ring your bell, no probs.

I haven't been to a gathering of Wings, since the Belgium Treffan of 1980, so I am quite looking forward to meeting up with some folks. I don't have time at the moment to do to much group stuff and I am not a big Club person, but all the same it is nice to meet people from this site.

Pete

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.