Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are going to replace our helmets this year. We have decided that we're going with Nolan N43E Trilogy helmets but I can't make up my mind as to which headsets to use, Nolan or J&K. I'm sure both are very good and should last a long time, however, I have never used Nolan or J&M products. Any information I can get will be greatly appreciated. While I don't want to start a, "what's the best oil", thread I can use some experience related good, bad, and ugly inputs. Thanks.

·
1,566 Posts
I have the Bluetooth version of the Nolan set. I like it. Except that I should have just bought the basic version. I got the Bluetooth version when I was still working and riding the bike to work. Just in case. In the roughly 4 years I've owned it I think I've used the Bluetooth twice. Also, the battery life is a bit short in my opinion. Basic unit doesn't need a battery.
I haven't used a J&M headset so I can't give a comparison.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
We have used the J&M product for many years and were pretty happy with it. When I ride solo I use the bike speakers and not the headsets. Last year we replaced our helmets and went with the SEMA SMH10 headsets (Bluetooth) I like not having the wires that we had before, also when I ride with my brother we can communicate bike-to-bike. Battery life is pretty good and they can be recharged on the bike.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
My wife and I are going to replace our helmets this year. We have decided that we're going with Nolan N43E Trilogy helmets but I can't make up my mind as to which headsets to use, Nolan or J&K. I'm sure both are very good and should last a long time, however, I have never used Nolan or J&M products. Any information I can get will be greatly appreciated. While I don't want to start a, "what's the best oil", thread I can use some experience related good, bad, and ugly inputs. Thanks.
I bought 2 Nolan N90 helmets for the wife and I. I put our J&M headsets into them. In order to do this I had to remove the outer shells from the headset and put just the speaker into the molded speaker hole in the helmet. In order to clamp the cord holder onto the side of the helmet I had to trim back a little of the edging around the bottom of the helmet. (The rubber part not the helmet itself).

The sound quality having the speakers held firmly in place and properly positioned has greatly improved. Either way I think you will like the Nolans.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I use an older Chatterbox system. Sound quality for voice is fine, for music is shrill. Trying ear buds, etc. I'm back to using the Chatterbox for music...but with earplugs. The earplugs take the shrillness out and music sounds good now. One thing about the 'Wing's sound system is that there is no shortage of volume, so that's never an issue.

Let's face it...unless you can fit a Bose aviation ANR headset inside your helmet, the sound will never be of best quality. "Good enough" has to suffice.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
Let's face it...unless you can fit a Bose aviation ANR headset inside your helmet, the sound will never be of best quality. "Good enough" has to suffice.
Funny you should say this, another forum member told me about the new version of the Nolan headsets. He said they sound like Bose, they are superb. The J&M's are good, but could never be compared to Bose.

Charlie,
As I just mentioned above, the Nolan high-end headsets are excellent and will blow the J&M's out of the water for music performance. That said, if you don't listen to music a lot then there is no reason to spend the extra bucks for the Nolan system. The mid-range J&M's will work great for you. I use their mid-range 279 series and they work well and are OK for music, but I love music and when I wear out my current helmet I will be going with a Nolan system, if I can afford it.

John

·
Registered
60 Posts
headsets

My wife and I have the J&M in our Shark Evoline helmets and it has worked great for us.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I too am in the same position as OP. I am about to pull the trigger on getting new helmets and will get a headset with them. The current helmets are from previous bike owner. They have J&M headsets in them. Don't know how old they are, but the quality does kinda suck. Figured some new ones would be an improvement no matter what. So is the Nolan headset actually that much better than J&M? I don't need blue tooth or anything fancy. Just something to replace the current set-up integrated into the bike. If the sound quality of Nolan is that noticeably better for music, I will spring the extra bucks for it. The helmets themselves are not what I was looking at though. This is what I was gonna do..
http://www.chromeworld.com/ProductD...er=QUICK_SEARCH&Alias=gm004&ptct=BS-SR&CTitle=&
These have a visor that can be swapped out for the large clear shield, which I like, and also have an optional chin bar to use the shield for the colder days for full face use. Anybody have experience with these? This thread just brings the Nolan option to my attention. Otherwise I would have just gotten this set-up and been done with it.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the input. While looking on the J&M site I found that they offer the Nolan helmet (N43E-T) with your choice of headsets to be installed at the J&M factory. I think I'm going with the Elite 629. While talking with the sales dept. I found that if you buy a helmet, with the headset installed, all shipment in US is free. If what you ordered does not fit properly then just return it (in like new condition, good box, and within 5 days of receiving the helmet) and they will send the next size you ask for. Again, free shipping. Sounds like a good company to do business with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.