Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After spending most of a year finding a helmet that is actually comfortable, and asking countless questions, I finally learned the difference between Snell & DOT certs.

The following is an excerpt from MCN:
We have done a comparison of helmet standards, and the current European standard is the best out there, based on the most up to date information. Snell is essentially a race car standard (multiple hits against roll bars are its calculated crash) and liners approved under this standard are too hard for the average motorcycle crash. Unnecessary concussions can result from a Snell helmet vs. DOT approved models. The DOT standard is actually based on real-life data, and is perfectly adequate for motorcycles, maybe better.

I figured the Snell endorsementmeant saferas they cost so much more, but they were uncomfortable.Maybethis will spare someonesome confusion [like I had] about helmets. :?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Snell has never approved a modular helmet either. I am not sure of the reason why but since that is what I wear I have only DOT on my helmet

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Just FYI, not saying Snell is better, but the most comfortable helmet I've worn to date is a Snell rated helmet by Scorpion. I've not tried the Arai's or Shoei's, because they are so stinkin' expensive, but have tried most of the other major brands. Just stating this to show that not all Snell rated helmets are uncomfortable. Your mileage may vary. ;)

John

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

After a year of trying on helmets, never even looking at the price, it still to me a year to find a comfortable one.

Maybe I have an odd shaped head. The one that finally felt like home was an ordinary, inexpensive,HJC. It seems price haslittle to do with it, for some.

It took my wife a long time to fins a really comfortable one....it turned out to be a Nolan.

It's nice to be able to stop and NOT be in a big rush to get your helmet off.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

If it is comfortable you will wear it. If that is the case who cares the rating it is better than none.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

I have a Nolan modular. I am pretty sure it is DOT approved, but does not have the stickers. It is E3, which is the European Union standard required over here. German law accepts DOT (which says a lot), but the Base here says we have to have the EU cert. I am pretty happy though, it is comfortable, I got a great deal, and my face shield held up to a crow at 70 MPH. The X-ray a buddy did showed no obvious damage to the shell too.

Go with what works for you. You have to want to wear it, and remember, it is only designed to work once. If you have dropped your helmet from a height above your seat, you should look for a new one. At the very least get it checked by X-ray or some other non destructive method.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Most comfortable helmet I have ever worn is my current G-Max, full face, DOT.........

Warm, or cool with the vents open (best venting system I've experienced), comfortable, relatively quiet-- but, boy, is it expensive! 85 big bucks! Yup, $85 U.S. green ones! At that price, gonna buy me a new one every year!

I was wearing a "soft" DOT only helmet during my recent accident with ol' Bambi.......

Did the job, it did.... had a minor concussion but, from looking at the scrapes and dings, I should have been dead. The scraped up, dinged up helmet occupies a place of Honor in my living room.

"Soft" DOT only helmets apparently work because they transmit less g-forces to the ol' noggin; the more rigid, "harder," and more expensive Snell rated helmets will transmit more g's, which ain't good for the sliding, glancing blows we are more likely to experience when off we come........ in this case, more money maybe buys less protection!

My humble opinion, only, of course, but I think there's some good stuff in that helmet study cited.....

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Stinky151 wrote:
I have a Nolan modular. I am pretty sure it is DOT approved, but does not have the stickers. It is E3, which is the European Union standard required over here.
As my original MSN excerpt stated, "...the current European standard is the best out there, based on the most up to date information...."

As CJ demonstrated, [no pun] "... Snell is essentially a race car standard...liners approved under this standard are too hard for the average motorcycle crash..." Not really applicable to bikes.

Applying Snell to motorcycle helmets confused me for years. I didn't care much, it just confused me.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Your a consumer that does some research but not alot. A helmet with DOT and Snell sound like a better helmet then just a DOT. On the otherside of the coin, if I manufactured helmets and they could be rated with several safety designations, I would let everyone know.

I kept looking a helmet with both designations because of safety. Once I did research on the desigantions, I realized for myself that comfort was key as long as it was DOT rated

just my 2 cents

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As a service to forum members I will accept any helmets you guys drop, just send them to me when you get a new one because of a three foot drop.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

I think the priority would be to at least get a helmet cheked that has had signifigant fall. The NDI lab here checks them for us, and we have one or two guys who droped theirs find hairline cracks in the foam liner.

I am VERY careful with mine, and keep a sapre around just in case. With three little kids, I would just prefer not risk something hapening because of gear failure. Just my own thoughts though.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I can't see a crack in the foam liner being a problem, it's purpose is like packing material, a crushable shock absorber to reduce G loads. The stuff isn't structural like the helmet shell. If there's a significant area of the foam that's crushed then it would make sense to replace the helmet. Crushing of the liner isn't going to be caused by merely dropping the helmet.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

exavid wrote:
As a service to forum members I will accept any helmets you guys drop, just send them to me when you get a new one because of a three foot drop.
There is someone out there who hasn't dropped their helmet ??

I had a problem with cracked styrofoam before & had to put my coffee in another cup.

One winter, I leftan expensive3/4 helmet out in the shed. It was an uncomfortable extra with a DOT on it. One warm day, I saw that mice had chewed the liner up. When I pulled out the liner, I saw 5 separate pieces of styrofoam glued to the polymer shell.

I went scientific [boring day?]. I took out the styrofoam pieces...hit one with a board, another with a brick and just broke another one in half...by hand....nothing special. Then, I hit the shell, hard with the sideof a 28oz framing hammer....certainly no magic there, either.

Conclusion, 'decent' protection. Then, I tossed the $15. of parts & labor into the trash and thought about going into the helmet business, while mowing the lawn.

Years later, I learn that a "Snell" rating on a MC helmet, is a big negative regarding protection.But, good for other applications.

It seems P.T. Barnum summed it up rather well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.