Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know everyone has a preference but I need help deciding which type new helmets to get. I have Shoei RJ Air open face right now, but need new ones. Can't decide whether to go with full face or open face. Aside from the obvious extra protection of a full face, what are the pros and cons? Need to decide soon because I also need to order new headsets and need to know what type helmets. Also, any comments on the different brands that are out there? It's starting to look like you can spend $1000.00 for two helmets and headsets.

And I did a search...just didn't find the info I needed.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Have had several brands but the most comfortable helmet (for Me) was an "Arai" full face, should have never sold it !!!

When I get another full face it will be an "Arai"!

But the shape of your head determines the brand best for you!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks wingdawg. I'm hopeing to order some online, won't be able to try it before I buy it. But you think definately full face? How about the face shield? One that flips up or one that just the face shield flips up? Then you get into getting the perfect headset and mic to fit.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
And I did a search...just didn't find the info I needed.
Thanks.
My brother has a Bell Mag8 which is what I want next year. It's a 3/4 which I prefer and has a flip down shield that retracts into the visor when you don't want it. I like the 3/4 because with a full face helmet I feel too encumbered and I don't like the extra weight and noise. Not to mention belching! I'll take the slight extra risk with the 3/4 helmet for the better ventilation, less noise, lighter weight, and less closed in feeling. I've found the Chatterbox headsets work great in our cheap AFX 3/4 helmets, they are easy to install and remove when you don't want them, sound good and best of all are around $78 plus shipping. I think the set for the woman who hangs around here cost me $87 with postage. They are well built mechanically and sound quite good. I like Classical music and these do well with the wide dynamic range of that genre. Did I mention they are also the cheapest I could find?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The flip down shield sounds good. I was in the caring and compasionate Honda dealer's today. They have chatterbox headsets for a mere $199. I told the guy that I could probably find them a little cheaper...I already knew what headsets were going for.

I'll look into the Bell also. Spending this much money I want to get something I like. Ordering online is hit and miss. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

another reasonably  priced  3/4with visor that  retracts into the helmet , cool and light , is the Nolan n42 classic  ...  its  now about $125  from the internet.. .. Perfect for us cheapo's , too.......................Fitting the JVC comm was a bit of a pain, but it sounds  great now  !!!! SilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif 

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I have just purchased a new Nolan flip front helmet and it is now rated for racing. I already have one of the last model of theirs, but the new one is even better. It has a sun visor that can be brought down or not, and a form of double glazing which stops fogging up. It was about £20 more than the Caberg that I was going to buy as a result of recommendation on here, but I was happy to pay the extra for the higher safety rating and it seemed more comfortable.

It accepts headsets nicely, with pockets for earphones.

I have always prefered open face helmets, but this definately fits the bill on comfort and gives the wearer the chance to open up, if required. Can't recommend enough.

Pete

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
Before you buy a helmet you might want to read this article. Some new information on the testing standards... eye opening.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/
Well mate, that kept me busy, reading all of that report. Most interesting indead and made me feel better about the cheepy helmets that I keep as spares.

It would have proved more interesting still had the testing been including our UK standards, but for US riders, well worth the read.

It would be nice to think that none of us would need the benifit of helmets or other protective clothing, but it is at least a bit comforting to know that any helmet is at least a reasonable form of protection.

If anything, this report has reinforced my resolve to always wear armoured clothing, as the statistics changed hugely with multiple injury. i am as we speak, in the proccess of investing in some light weight summer jackets and trousers, with armour.

I have in the past gone down the road in a horizontal position, luckily with so many layers, I looked like Michelin man. It hurt even then, but it was back in the days before armour and I sure feel safer now.

Well pointed out Axelwik. Nice Saturday morning reading!

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Well mate, that kept me busy, reading all of that report. Most interesting indead and made me feel better about the cheepy helmets that I keep as spares.

It would have proved more interesting still had the testing been including our UK standards, but for US riders, well worth the read.

It would be nice to think that none of us would need the benifit of helmets or other protective clothing, but it is at least a bit comforting to know that any helmet is at least a reasonable form of protection.

If anything, this report has reinforced my resolve to always wear armoured clothing, as the statistics changed hugely with multiple injury. i am as we speak, in the proccess of investing in some light weight summer jackets and trousers, with armour.

I have in the past gone down the road in a horizontal position, luckily with so many layers, I looked like Michelin man. It hurt even then, but it was back in the days before armour and I sure feel safer now.

Well pointed out Axelwik. Nice Saturday morning reading!

Pete
Hi Pete,

I too am a believer in protection. There's a helmet law here in Oregon, but for most people that's the only protection they wear. Many in the cruiser crowd, however, onlywear those eggshell-thin skull caps to somehow get by the helmet law. I was in Arizona back in April to see my dad off to a better place. Seeing all those bikers without helmets really struck me.

I don't only wear a helmet, I also wear an armored jacket and most times armored pants. I just couldn't imagine going down without protection.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the article Marco. Very interesting reading. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Good article, but now I'm afraid to ride. Guess I'll have a few beers to get the courage up and hop on the bike!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
I too am a believer in protection.I don't only wear a helmet, I also wear an armored jacket and most times armored pants. I just couldn't imagine going down without protection.
Well said axelwik. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Paul, I tried that once..wouldn't recommend it.
I know, I learned about it in my wellspent youth! Every day I give thanks that I lived in the sticks, outback, bush (take your pick) during my really foolish phase. Things that would get you arrested nowadays in civilization merely earned a raised eyebrown back then.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Thout shall always wear a helmet. Preferably full face.

I wear a FFM flip front and prior to that a Suomy.

Loved the Suomy, the flip front is also good.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Thout shall always wear a helmet. Preferably full face.

I wear a FFM flip front and prior to that a Suomy.

Loved the Suomy, the flip front is also good.

Andrew
Had us worried M8, we thought the "Great Dane" ate you!:baffled:? Welcome back !:clapper:

P.S. Your ears have probably been "Burning",huh?!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Nah mate, the computer has a B****Y virus that I cant seem to kill.

Got the latest symantics, giant and sun products, they find it but there is a little subroutine buried somewhere that reloads it on start up. 'm very frustrated.

Adding to that I had a major electrical fault in the house this weeked and spent most of that fixing that. ( I am an Electrician by trade even though I don't work as one). So when John (cbhon) rang to see if I wanting to go with him for a blat (me on my 1200 him on his nice shiney new red 1800..... lucky lucky b) I had to say no.:crying:

Never mind.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Andrew, that's really bad news you bring, not being able to go ride with Cbhon!!

Hope you get to the root of the gremlins in the house!

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Your going to have to "Reformat" your PC to completely clean it out!

I run an "Anti-Virus" that comes out of New Zealand" called "F-Prot" it's the best I've ever had and have had many!

I get about 2 updates a day from them!

plus "Anti-Spywear" and "
Anti-Ad wear"!

You've got a "Trojan Horse" they can be tough!

But good to see ya back again!:clapper:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.