Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking to replace our Caberg Downtown (open) helmets with some flip ones so would appreciate advice on what to buy.

The criteria is that they must be full flip, lightweight, have recess for earphones and come with clear and sun visors. Most importantly they must be quiet (wind noise) when riding at speed.

Suggestions welcome please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Yep, Tanygaer is spot on. I bought the flip front Nolan when I still had my H-D Road King. My wife bought the full face non opening version. We also bought the N-com intercom that integrates into both these helmets. What a great decision all round. I wear prescription glasses full time & really like the ability to put on & remove my helmet without removing my glasses. Also because it has a tinted half visor as standard I don't need to bother with sunnies. The intercom is awesome. We can converse at any road speed, even when we had the H-D. Because the intercom & helmet are designed to compliment each other, the mike & ear phones are entirely built in on the full face. My flip front requires a mike on a stalk, otherwise the rest is the same. Noise levels, or lack of them is very good. I know I could hear my radio at 80 m.p.h. thru the onboard bike speakers if I rode that fast, which of course I don't.... All taken into consideration a great medium priced helmet. Cost was NZ$600 for flip front & $500 for full face. Top of the range helmets over here are $1000 - $1400.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

RON WYLIE wrote:
Looking to replace our Caberg Downtown (open) helmets with some flip ones so would appreciate advice on what to buy.

The criteria is that they must be full flip, lightweight, have recess for earphones and come with clear and sun visors.  Most importantly  they must be quiet  (wind noise) when riding at speed.

Suggestions welcome please.   Thanks
If you liked the Caberg, try the Caberg Justimmo its good and noise is generally better than others.

The real test is to find one that fits your head comfortably. :leprechaun:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We use the HJC Symax ll, approx $300.00 up here, very comfortable & quiet. :waving:
Thanks mr hughes ... I forgot about the internal 3 position slide down sun visor

·
Premium Member
285 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

We have just bought Nolan 103 flip front and whilst I am happy with them, there are a couple of things that I don't find are as good as the old Nolan and Cabergwe had.

They are much noisier, as in wind noise, and the back of the neck line is cut higher and that lets a draught around my neck which I have to fill with a neckerchief tube thingie.

I love the intenal smoked visor though and the excellent way the flip front opens, which is easier to do than others we have had.

The Nolan is a heavy helmet compared to others and I have weighed them to compare.

I have not yet bought the n-com system so have not tried that, but the cut outs take a normal headset speaker.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Rapidly gaining popularity over here in Yankeeland are the G-Max line of helmets..... made in Taiwan, modestly priced, comfortable, quiet, have both flip and full face designs, priced low enough to be replaced every couple of years........

I've worn many helmets, both low and high-priced, and these rank with the best.

Don't know if they are imported into the UK, however......

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I have a KBC Modular (flip up ) that I would NOT recommend to anyone. I love the modular feature but I have had a lot of issues with the hinge mechanism for the flip up part, and ithe vents do NOT vent well, and have had to keep reintalling pieces that come off or get loose. It's not real quiet eithe-wind noise.In fact I'm looking to replace this KBC even tho it's only 1 year old

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

There are several makes of full/modular helmets that easily take the headsets. Many can be bought with preinstalled headsets.

My wife & I use different brands & it took us a very long time to find one that was 'very' comfortably. Mine is HJC, hers is Nolan.

Also, hers is contoured for wind. She loves the fact that her headdoesn't bobble around anymore, like her previous round top helmet did. Then, are the air-tight rubber seals around the face shield, that keep the wind & noise out.

She spent about 12 hours in shops trying on various makes, before finding the perfect fit with the options she wanted....found hers in a shop about 140 miles away. It was worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

Bonnie and I just bought modulars and love the fact that we feel much warmer all over.

Mine is a THH and the ventilation seems non existant. It feels the same whether I have the vents open or closed. It also fogs up badly and I suspect it's due to the lack of ventilation. The other thing is that I get a lot of buffeting sound with this helmet. If I open the face shield a crack it helps. I tried standing up so that I'm over the windshield and the buffeting is gone.

After trying many, Bonnie bought a VOX Genisis and loves it. It also has the drop down sun visor. She doesn't get any buffeting or fogging and can feel the ventilation working.

After hearing her reviews I wish I'd seen the VOX before I bought mine but hey....that's life huh?

We had started out looking for the HJC with the drop down sun visor but they're still hard to find here and were twice the price that we paid.

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

HJC Symax II. Easy to flip up. Excellent ventilation around the head. The Pearl White model matches perfectly to my Pearl White 1500SE.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

My wife and I both have the HJC Symax,the helmet has a comfortable fit with little wind noise and good ventilation.. The sun shield is very nice but could be a little darker for me. I bought them online at PARTS411.com for $226.19 each.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

In case anyone is unsure, HJC helmets are available in the UK. They are all over ebay for instance, :)

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

But G-Max are not available in the UK at the moment as per the reply from them :-

GMAX only carry DOT (Department of Transportation) safety ratings for US and Canada as of now.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

RON WYLIE wrote:
But G-Max are not available in the UK at the moment as per the reply from them :-

GMAX only carry DOT (Department of Transportation) safety ratings for US and Canada as of now.
Nice one Ron.... saves everyone running around like headless chickens looking for them in the UK. :clapper:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.