Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what type of helmet everyone wears, weather a full face ,half helmet open face, modular flip up, bennie? i wear a bell modular flip up with the honda line intercom and my wife has the same i was thinking of getting a half helmet for when i ride alone or to work. just not sure about it yet .

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
What is your head worth? That defines your budget.

I bought the Shoi modular ($$$$) but it was the first one I bought in 15 years.
I just wanted one that fit my head and was light in color, more that price.
I tried on about a dozens different brands until I happens to try on a Shoi Multitec. If was perfect. I was also in AZ in the summer (115-120F) and wanted a light color (white, metal flake) cool helmet.

Yea, I choked at the $450 bucks, but the boss (wife) had to approved the budget. She said, what is taking you so long to decide, if you dont buy it, I will. ;)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I have an HJC 3/4 helmet. Happy with it.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i use a vega modular, candy apple red with headset, got one for wife also. open face make me nervous.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
3/4 vega most of the time without the face shield, only use that on long highway trips.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I wear nothing but full-face. The chin area saved me once and I will never have 3/4.

I often buy HJC from newenough.com's close out section.

I have clamps for the Sena Smh-10 on all my helmets.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I use a 3/4 Fulmer or a Scorpion full face. I'm trying to decide what to do for this summers 4000 mile vacation. I dont want to bring two helmets and I'm thinking the 3/4 might not be good if the weather turns real rainy. I dont want the full face exclusively on that trip either so I'm toying with the idea of a modular.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I dont like anything but 1/2 helmets.....but if I eventually go with a head set looks like I will be getting a new Vega 1/2 set up for same....good luck

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Helmets???????????....At one time i wore a 1940's leather football helmet..Our Jr. Hi coach gave all of us scooter riders one, said "If I see any of you out riding without one, it's goning to be "pops"...He was a big guy and you didn't want him to break out the paddle on your fanny, so even the "hoodlums" wore theirs..

Then one of the town Harley riders, Wayne, had an accident, hit his bare head on a metal spike on the new Interstate road construction...Him and his buddies were racing on the new dirt work, before the concrete was poured..Till that guy died, all he did was walk around town with his Buck knife whittling...He wore a name tag with his name and address, phone number on it..He spent most of his days in one of the cafes or drug stores drinking coffee..He wouldn't even ride on a scooter, offer him a ride he would tell you "motocycles hurt you"...But everyday rain, shine, hot, or cold he wore his Harley leather jacket..

Wayne taught me early on about protecting my head, then at N-5 I rode the son's Yahama without one, what was I thinking??..Back in the 60's I wore that old football helmet, then with my Suzuki I wore 3/4 in the summer, full face in the winter with a throat coat..Right now I own a "Easy Rider" red, white, and blue 3/4 helmet, but after seeing 93Wing's helmet, and the EMT's and Doctors saying how that helmet probly saved his life, I will later on go spend the "big bucks" for a full face helmet, maybe even a modular one...My wife hates to wear a full face helmet, but she too was impressed by Charles "walking away" from his wreck, because of that helmet...

But....I'm not going to tell you that "You" must wear this helmet or that helmet, because, you are an adult, you can make your own decisions as to whether or not...to wear one or not, or what kind to wear...

This talk of "Helmets" in the past has been filled with some great suggestions, then some got "out of control" and had to be "binned"..So like I said, we are all induavales and what one of us does or doesn't like might not be "your cup of tea", its only our own choices..

Ride Safe...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I do not mind full face helmets - they are nice in winter especially. But I had two instances with them:
1- Broke my nose at softball practice once and it was tough to get it on
2- The real reason I go 3/4? It is too hard to get the straw from my coffee cup to my mouth while riding wearing a full face, and I almost always have one on the bike for the last 20 years.

To put it simply, we all decide our level of risk. I agree a full face is safer in a crash- it saved a buddy of mine on a group ride once. BUT, that said, I am willing to take that minimal risk with the exchange of comfort, coffee convenience, and if I crash it may or may not be a factor (chin piece or not). Some people will never wear one at all.

Heck - If I had the room I would love to have an old Ford Pinto to play with, too.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I use a 3/4 Fulmer or a Scorpion full face. I'm trying to decide what to do for this summers 4000 mile vacation. I dont want to bring two helmets and I'm thinking the 3/4 might not be good if the weather turns real rainy. I dont want the full face exclusively on that trip either so I'm toying with the idea of a modular.
I guess what I often wear in summer is a 3/4 with face shield UP. Many HARD storms, a couple very cold, and rain not a problem with shield down.

Not saying it's the best option, just that in rain it was not any problem for me, no more than any other helmet face shield would have been anyway.
I am talking storms where 4 wheelers were pulling off the road, and truckers running 45mph in a 60mph area and I was still running 60mph when away from other vehicles!
On 82 1100 one storm in NC mountains I was running 45mph with the big rigs and cars going slower.
On 88 and 95 1500's double darkside I was the fastest thing on the road when not near cages!
I fear the other vehicles on the road more than the weather I am in! :ROFL:
I pass the turtles ( 35-45mph cages) in the rain doing maybe 5mph more than them, so they do 45mph and I pass doing 50mph maybe, then I open up to speed limit when I have a clear road without vehicles in my way.

If I ever really needed the helmet then I may have wished for a modular or full face afterward during recovery, but just for rain the 3/4 does me fine.

I have had full face and modular but have a problem wearing them.
I like the Nolan modular I have now though and can actually wear it.
The chin bar is too close to my chin though, but for some reason I can still breath in it better than my other full face or modulars.
I feel if the Nolan is actually needed for real use, if it's hit right that chin bar may break my jaw being a bit too close, but better than not having one at all.

I think for cold weather, winter and spring I'll be wearing the Nolan modular, but probably summer and fall be wearing another 3/4 on long road trips myself.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I've worn a flip-modular on trips and a 3/4 for just hanging around town and shorts trips.
The modular is a little heavier but not too much and way quieter for long trips, and lot's dryer in the rain. Warmer in cold weather as well.
It's a no-name-brand but fits well and I've never had problems with it.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I will wear nothing but a full face. I prefer Shoei. We went down with the flip up style. Protection is nothing. The shield deflected inside the helmet and cut my wifes nose most of the way off. When I got to her it was hanging on the side of her face.
Wear the best you can find. Your life is depending on it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a couple of different modular helmets. Fulmer, Scorpion and Nolan, Nolan being my favorite. I do most of my riding the winter months so cold weather protection is big with me. I like the modular for the protection and the ability to eat or drink while riding, just flip up the front and spit, chew or drink. I am looking at this one now.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Nolan-N43E-Helmets-Solids-N-Com

It will offer the weather protection while giving more room for the mic. May be a Christmas gift to myself.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I have been wearing half helmets for over ten years. Before that I wore a 3/4. Currently I wear an HJC half helmet. I would like to try a full face at least during the winter time.
Everyone ride safe...
Philip

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I have this reason for full-face helmets:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
As long as you wear a helmet, which type is up to you. There is more protection with a full face than a 3/4 or half, the half providing the least protection of the 3. There have also been some articles about 1/2 helmets not staying on in some crashes. I have had a few HJC and have been happy with them, all 3/4 because I like the fresh air. But the most comfortable helmet I have is a full face Shoei. Different manufacturers and even models from the same manufacturer have different shaped molds, just need to try them.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
It depends on my mood and the weather:

HJC 3/4 for most riding.
Fulmer 1/2 Helmet for the summer.
Fuel 3/4 Helmet with a face shield for cold winter riding days.
No helmet for those times that I am feeling adventurous :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.