Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone ever installed reverse on a 1991 1500 interstate I was told you couldnt do it if it wasnt on from the factory?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

It probably could be done but you could probably buy a bike with reverse cheaper and for sure easier.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done but it would be quite expensive, complicated and a major job. The starter is different, the wiring harness is different, thereare a LOT of electrical differences and a bunch of mechanical changes. The reversing system is an amazingly complex affair. I don't see how Honda could have made it more complicated with all the wiring, cables, and safety interlocks. It would be cheaper as Dave mentioned to sell the Interstate and buy and Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I fitted reverse to mine, however I only fitted the mechanical parts and left out the neutral interlock
The starter motor is indeed different, the reverse one has an extra gear on it .and conversely an interstate one will not fit into a reverse equipped bike as the nose or the starter is wider and fouls the reverse gear
Engine removal is needed to fit the parts also there are some special sockets needed to undo the nuts to get the clutch and drveshaft off.
I bought the parts from e bay quite cheaply but had to order a thrust bearing and an oil seal from the dealers as the e bay seller forgot to include them.
The actual engine cases are the same and the components just bolt in or swap.
Honda have made this system utterly idiot proof and in my opinion most of the saftey interlocks are unnecessary, I think I can trust myself to select neutral and pull in the clutch before using the reverse lever.
My bike is such a very long way from standard that I wasnt worried about that. I just needed reverse for when I parked in tight places.
Hope this helps you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

hey nice bike, how about more pics and details on her? i always love to see and know more about custom built bikes. specially, if it is powered by a goldwing engine :p

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

hello, I beleive it can be done. going to try this comimg winter. the hardess part to get is the bracket on the frame that theinterstate does not have. what I did was find someone parting out a bike with a bad frame and offer to buy that section. it cost me 20. and we were both happy.

PS never done it but going to try. Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.