Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 Aspy that i need to remove the carbs on without dropping the motor any help pics or video would be great.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I no longer have my 1986 so from memory... remove the plastic vents just above the intakes. remove 8 acorn nuts from intake. There are air tubes pressed in that are held down by the intakes...gently pry them up. remove the throttle cables. remove the fuel line. there is a vacuum line accessable from the air cleaner. remove the air cleaner and the stand that holds the intake. I would loosen the intakes and rotate them for more clearance. the carbs will slide sideways to the left, they really do. be patient. once you move 6 inches to the left you can access the choke cable. Happy wrenching. I will check late tonight after work to see what other advice had been offered and if you have any questions. I may have left something out. Don.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I bought the book with Randakk's car kits for my Interstate. It was very thorough.
Top Quality parts and advice from that site.

However I also recall reading various "How I did it..." posts on the numerous GL1200 sites out there.

Search is your friend, but I would look here, gl1200goldwings.com, goldwingdocs.com(manuals), classicgoldwings.com.

I browse all of them as while these 1200's are "all the same" there is no end to what a PO may have done with your machine.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Remove the lower fairing skirts. Remove the storage compartment and the faux tank.
At the left front corner of the compartment area you'll see a "tee"with three vacuum hoses.
Remove the hose that leads back down to the carbs. (I use a lighter to apply a SMALL amount
of heat to soften the hose so I don't break the fitting)
I remove the left case gaurd for more "flexibility" when removing the carb assy.
Remove the air box, air filter and the gold colored "stand" for the air cleaner.
Remove the intake tubes. #4 should have a vacuum hose that leads back to the carbs. Remove it
from the intake runner if at all possible.
Gently pry the air tubes out of the head. It seems to work best if you pry at the rubber supports,
while applying a slight amount of down force on the portion that goes into the head. These need to
come straight up to avoid damage. At this point the carbs are just "hanging". And ready for removal.
Position the plug wires as far aft of the frame as possible. You're going to need this room to get
the carbs out. It's a very tight fit.
Place a rag over the valve cover (left) to prevent scratching.
Remove the fuel line from the fuel pump that leads to the carbs. Make sure your petcock is turned off.
From the left side, gently pull the carbs out a few inches. This should give you enough room to access
the nuts for the throttle cables. Remove them.
At the front left corner of the carb/rack assy you'll see the choke cable mount. Remove the two screws
from the BRACKET. This makes it a lot easier to remove the choke cable from it's operating arm.
The air tubes that you removed from the heads are a PITA. Make sure they don't hang or bind while removing
the carbs. Be careful to not disturb the coolant transfer tubes too much. They could leak upon reassembly.
If you hold your mouth just right, the carbs should now be on the floor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.