Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I amazed myself by getting all but one of the screws off and now the last one is stripped. The screw in question is the one on the top row, second to last from the right of the engine (when looking at the engine).

I tried a bigger Philips head to no avail. I then tried a square head bit with no luck. At this point it's looking pretty meager and still quite stuck. I tried some persuasion with a flat driver and a hammer, but the metal is too soft to really have a go at it (even though I have another case ready to be mounted I dont' want to damage this too much).

Any suggestions welcome. Really!

edit: ooops. it's a 1979

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sears has a pretty handy screw extracting bit they just came out with.If it's too chewed up for an impact driver, I'd give it a try. Failing that the trick is to carefully drill it out using progressively larger bits until you can remove the screw head. After removing the cover there should be enough screw shank protruding to get hold of it with a vise grip.

:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
When you do get the screw out,Go to your local Hardware shop,and get Allen head replacement bolts,and you'll never be in this situation again..
Too true... Also some anti-seize wouldn't hurt!
:waving::15red::whip:

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

If the self extraction bit does not work, drill a very small hole in the top of the screw and try the extraction bit again, it should bite then. Lots of Luck!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I'd squirt freeing agent into it on a frequent basis over a couple of days. It might even be worth refitting the bolts, refilling and warming the engine beforehand. That way the freeing agent might be sucked into the offending thread.

Good luck and make sure you use new bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.