Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI all,

Just got in from the ride on my rrecently purchased 05 1800. Decided to check the coolant level. The service and owners manual are a bit confusing. But they say to check the coolant in the overflow tank with engine running at normal operating temp. Is this done on the center stand or sidestand????

Thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hi Chris. Centre stand. Pull the chromed side panel off and the coolant bottle will be visible.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

HI Eamonn

Thanks so much for the reply. I actually had to nearly 1/2 liter to the coolant tank, it was bone dry!! Needless to say I went over to the dealer and raised heck about the fact that they don't take these bikes out for a test ride before delivering them to customers. First bike I've ever bought that wasn't pre-checked. He explained it was probably an air pocket, my contention is probably so, but if the bike was actually checked out before hand I wouldn't have encountered it. Guess they just throw the bikes together and send em out the door to new customers.:X

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

zvezdah1 wrote:
HI Eamonn

Thanks so much for the reply. I actually had to nearly 1/2 liter to the coolant tank, it was bone dry!! Needless to say I went over to the dealer and raised heck about the fact that they don't take these bikes out for a test ride before delivering them to customers. First bike I've ever bought that wasn't pre-checked. He explained it was probably an air pocket, my contention is probably so, but if the bike was actually checked out before hand I wouldn't have encountered it. Guess they just throw the bikes together and send em out the door to new customers.:X

Chris
Chris,

It might not be a bad idea to check all the fluid levels,

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey zvezdah1 :waving:and dont forget to check/change the final drive oil. :clapper: I know it states in the manual to change every 24k miles, :stumped:but just check it to make sure it's clean and bright and change it if necessary. :clapper:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Chris, I take it that you didn't fill the coolant bottle all the way to the top? You need to leave some room for expansion. A little over the upper mark on the dipstick is okay (better over than under), but all the way to the top will see some of it spilling over when the going gets hot.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

HI Ted,

Nope, I filled the coolant to the upper level indicator on the dipstick. I did check the oil right after I got the bike, and was OK, I'll check the final drive as well

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.