Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Looked at the bike found neg battery terminal melted on the battery, battery won't charge any idea what might have caused this? have been looking at harness but I am not completely through it yet but no melted wires as of yet or bare spots.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I would say that the cable was probably loose and the arcing while cranking melted the post or is was from a hydro lock that wouldn't let the engine turn and overloaded the starter.

Other possibilities are a short in the battery or a short in the starter, solenoid or cables.

That being said as I reflect the shorts in the cranking system I've seen melted the positive terminal.

I'd get a new battery and check all the battery cables including the one going from the solenoid to the starter.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

at the moment nothing else is hooked up to the battery. its a 1100 and I cannot turn the motor over with the plugs out.

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
imported post

If you can't turn the engine you should tackle that problem first before bothering with electrical problems. That + the connection being loose is probably what melted the battery terminal.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

The group is right, that starter battery combination is 100A, but with a locked motor the series wound starter motor will draw as much as the battery will deliver. There is no protection, the starter is a pig simply by design...it takes more amps as the load increases...that is what a series wound motor does.

Check out the engine, then the battery and pull the starter motor and check it, the starter solenoid, the cables, the battery.

You need to know why the engine is stuck, it needs to be free to operate before trying to re-start it.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Ok this is what I know for now, pulled starter and tested it works fine put another battery in no short as of now. pulled spark plugs looked good, put in 2nd gear tried to turn back tire no luck. checked stator bolt it is stripped and was loose, looks like somebody already tried to turn the motor over with that bolt. may have to remove timing belt covers to see if I can get to crank shaft bolt to try and free up the motor.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Is this your GL1000 or GL1100? I've read of other members with that problem, on the GL1000. Stator bolt loosening up and coming out through the rear cover.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

dcryder wrote:
Ok this is what I know for now, pulled starter and tested it works fine put another battery in no short as of now. pulled spark plugs looked good, put in 2nd gear tried to turn back tire no luck. checked stator bolt it is stripped and was loose, looks like somebody already tried to turn the motor over with that bolt. may have to remove timing belt covers to see if I can get to crank shaft bolt to try and free up the motor.
If stator bolt it stripped replace it. If it won't turn over with that or rear wheel, you won't get it with the crank bolt, you might break it. Sounds like either rusted cylinders or timing belts were placed wrong and a valve (s) are bent broken. Inspect deeper.

Did you fill cylinders with PB Blaster and let soak a couple days?

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

will get some pb blaster and soak the cylinders and let sit for a day or 2 to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

ok put several doses of pb blaster in the cylinders let sit for at least a day and half tried to turn rear wheel again but no improvemnt still lock up resoak again and will try again tomorrow.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

use 5th gear if trying to turn it with the rearwheel... basically will be very difficult toimpossible in 1st and second without a running start.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Can't get it into 5th gear for some reason 1st or second is all I can get right now.

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
imported post

broadbent wrote:
What Goldwing is this about DC? You been asked a couple times already. Is it a secret or something?
1100, he already answered that. Doesn't really matter anyway.

More info please. Did you buy it this way or did it lock up suddenly? How long has it sat?

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

This is the famous goldwing that was on here awhile ago named Bloodwing, and I bought that way unknowlly. I was told it had electric issues, from what I can tell it hasn't run since the spring of this year. And that it sat outside since then. there was alot of things unhooked and taken off the bike including the airfilter. tank and seat was just sitting on the bike not bolted down. airfliter and box in a small pile of parts that were taken off the bike.The PO said it would not run because of the electrical issues, but I think he knew that the motor was locked up. to much evidence pointing to that conclusion.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Update got the motor freed up and now turns over by hand. but starter is fried, the brush plate is melted and in pieces. anybody got a starter laying around that they don't need? Don't want to spend a bunch of money to find what else is wrong with it, would like to see if it runs though. so if anyone has a cheap starter for sale I would be interested in one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Got a rebuild kit coming for the starter, should be here by friday I hope. Started taking a good look at the wiring boy what a mess, someone wired in a amp and capsitor and the wiring should have burnt the bike down to the ground. So I have removed all of that and repaired a couple of places in the harness. Have gone through the starting system wirering and is ok. I don't like the floor boards that are on this bike so they are coming off. I need a set of drivers and passengers pegs and bolts if anyone has any extras they would like to sell. Also need a turn signal flasher be cause this one is junk can I use a automotive one or do I need a original replacement one?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.