Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've seen directions on which roads to ride along the Columbia posted here someplace but after 25 minutes of searching, i have yet to find them... Anyone up this early that could lend a hand?

Thanx...:waving:;)

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Riding east to west or west to east, just passing through or planning on stopping in the area?

The one "must do" is the Crown Point highway. Another nice route in the area is over Mt. Hood to Hood River from PDX or vice versa.

Hwy 14 on the Washington side is better than I-84 IMHO.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Highway 14, Washington side, is one of the best highways in the state, especially ridden east to west on a clear day....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I84 has all the waterfalls and stops from Portland, especially through the Cascades Mountain Range,to The Dalles.

SR14 is unhurried and has excellent views of Mt Hood and across the river to the grassland hills ofOR, eastward of the Dalles

Dusty

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Either direction you could cross the river at Cascade Locks and make both 14 and Crown Point.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanx for the replies...;)

Am in Coeur d'Alene this morning, to visit a former workmate and will head towards hwy 14 after lunch... Probably stop for the night at whatever campgrounds I can find, then complete the ride in the AM...;)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Beacon Rock SP is a nice, quiet little SP on WA's Hwy 14, just west of North Bonneviille if you can make it that far. Then back track a bit and hit the OR side for the falls and such on that side of the river. :?

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Beacon Rock SP is a nice, quiet little SP on WA's Hwy 14, just west of North Bonneviille if you can make it that far. Then back track a bit and hit the OR side for the falls and such on that side of the river. :?
SWEET... Thanx for the tips...:bow: That's a bit far to try to ride in a 1/2 day and still get a site, but I'll likely spend a few days tracking and back tracking, so I see as much as is practical before moving on anyway...;)

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

If you're spending a few days, be sure to make the trip to Mt. St. Helens! And 35 from Hood River to Portland is nice too.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

The 'must see's' in that area of Hwy 14. (Google can lead you to any of these.)

Multnoma Falls (Oregon side)
Goldendale Observatory
Stonehenge
Beacon Rock
Fish viewing window at Bonneville Dam
Maryhill Winery has weekend concerts at its amphitheater

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

RobM wrote:
If you're spending a few days, be sure to make the trip to Mt. St. Helens! And 35 from Hood River to Portland is nice too.
FYI if you plan on seeing Mt. Saint Helens, forest road 99 up to Windy Ridge on the East side is still closed because of the late snow and lack of summer melt, so you will have to go up to Johnson Ridge on the West side to see the mountain. Forest Road 25 on the East side is now open all the way through, but you can't get up to the mountain on that side until they open FR99.:waving:

John

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
imported post

And the safest place to cross the Columbia River from Hwy 14 to 84..............

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Don't know if you are aware of these two motorcycle road sites:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/

They are similar in nature but each offers routes not offered on the other site.

Back in the early 70's I was stationed in Portland, Oregon and use to ride my Mach III 500 Kawasaki up the Gorge Road (as we called it then) to see a girl I was dating in The Dalles. On each trip I would see something different along the river that I had not seen before.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

First I would like to thank all for your comments... I had a GREAT ride today, through a truly amazing and scenic piece of this little orb we are all spining around and floating on...:applause::applause::applause:

I started my tour of the columbia river, by spending last night in a Army Corp of Engineers campground, on the Snake River, near Pasco Washington... An absolutely stunningly manicured and beautiful place to stay for $11/nite... Looked more like a city park that was WELL maintained than a camp ground... It's located at the Jct of US-12 & WA-124...;)

From there I wound my way East/South into Oregon on US-12, to US-730, then across the river to pick up WA-14, as suggested by Cousin Jack and a few others here... I rode all day on 14, all the way to Camas, WA where I broke off to head towards Mt. St. Helen's, when I discovered I would be unable to make it there, so back tracked to Longview, WA, then over the river to Oregon again, and am now ~ 1/2 way between Longview and Astoria on US-30...

The scenery was nothing short of varied, breathtaking, and amazing... I visited Maryhill, (including stonehenge, the museum, and the winery), I saw the historic locomotive in Wersham (sp?), witnessed and videotaped the progress of the demolition of the Aluminum Mill, which appears to be ~ 50% down from what it had once been, and I spent some time watching and visiting with the wind/kite surfers on the water.

One of them (an old fart retiree like myself) said he had been doing this for close to 30 years, and the past two days were THE best days he could recall in many years... The Gorge just below the Dalles had sustained winds of 30-35 mph, with some pretty strong gusts that I'm gonna guess approached 45 or a bit better (making riding interesting), and coupled with the flow downstream of the water, this created some standing waves on the order of 5-6 ft tall in a few selected locations across the river...

Tomorrow, I will start down the coast, and see if I can take more than the 250-plus pictures I took today...:shock:;)

I hope one of these days before I get home, I will find a WiFi signal strong and quick enough to be able to load some pic's... Otherwise, I'm gonna be a BUSY boy for a few days sorting, etc...:action:

Thanx again for the help on the Columbia Gorge...;)

PS: passed the 5500 mile mark since leaving home today while in the gorge... Total on interstate thus far is less than 50 miles;):ssshh::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Bro Down the coast take in the tillamook cheese factory!! Youll be going buy one of the best steak houses in the Northwest. Been working on my ride and have all the fried wires cut out and replaced. swapped to the 750 handle bars, hopeing to find some comfort. Am currently in newberg OR looking for work. Sounds like your gonna just zip on through.
Scenic Highway in the Gorege was built with the stone from Rocky butte prison, Now under the 205. Many beautiful falls in the gorge often missed by most. How long you going to be in the area???

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

bobalou wrote:
Bro Down the coast take in the tillamook cheese factory!! Youll be going buy one of the best steak houses in the Northwest. Been working on my ride and have all the fried wires cut out and replaced. swapped to the 750 handle bars, hopeing to find some comfort. Am currently in newberg OR looking for work. Sounds like your gonna just zip on through.
Scenic Highway in the Gorege was built with the stone from Rocky butte prison, Now under the 205. Many beautiful falls in the gorge often missed by most. How long you going to be in the area???
Thanx for the info...;)

I have NO doubts that I've missed some of the more scenic spots on this trip. While it is the first time I've been in this area, it will not be my last...;)

Locations I KNOW I want to see before I get home, include;
- The left coast (or as much of it as I can fit into this trip)
- Crater Lake
- Lassen Volcanoes
- Lake Shasta
- Yosemite (again... been there like 20 times, but I can't seem to get enough of it...)
- Kings Canyon (same as above... One of my FAVORITE places ...)
- And a few stops along the way to see friends & relatives...

Gotta be back in AZ by the 8th, so I can get bills paid and be back on the road by the 11th to go help my folks with their farm thru mid October...

I have no set in concrete plans, just go with the flow and try to stay away from the worst of the weather if possible, interstates, and the congestion of the cities... Heading out to find a laundromat (VERY much needed BTW...:cheesygrin:), then off to the coast to see how much I can fit into today...:action:

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Good for you ob1jeeper - you're doing what many of us would like too!

For the Crater lake trip take the Rogue River Hiwy out of Medford, it's a gorgous ride.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Well I can check the left coast of Oregon and Crater Lake off my bucket list...;)

I want to come back and see them again sometime, but at least I was able to see some AMAZING sites that will stay with me forever...

Rode from Coos Bay, thru the Umpqua River Valley (road 42, which is VERY scenic BTW), then on to 130 past Diamond Lake, and on to the North entrance of Crater Lake... Then looped completely around Crater and exited back out the North entrance and ran down the Rouge river (joining up with road 62) to just north of Medford, then cut across to Grants Pass on 234 and I-5...

Am stopped for the evening ~ 1/2 way between Grants Pass, OR and Crescent City, CA... Plan is to ride the Redwoods tomorrow, then depending on timing, head inland to the Lassen Volcano, and the Shasta area... Or perhaps take in some of the wine valleys for a little taste & tour...;)

Will try to post some pics as I get better internet service...:?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

When in Coos Bay, did you get the chance to ride past Sunset Beach, Shore Acres and Cape Argo? If not, next trip you need to - they are incredible.

I'm living vicariously through you. You've had the opportunity to ride through much of the beauty Oregon has to offer!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.