Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

If I wanted to replace the weather seal/gasket around the travel trunk rim and on the saddlebags, where would I go to get it? I'm painting my bike and replacing lots fo this sort of stuff, and just need an idea.

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

If you can't find specific weatherstripping for your furniture, JC Whitney has a pretty good selection of the automotive stuff in different sizes and shapes.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
New ones (pn 81420-463-770) are still available from Honda.

Thanks! That takes care of the trunk...how about the saddlebags?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Hi all,

If I wanted to replace the weather seal/gasket around the travel trunk rim and on the saddlebags, where would I go to get it? I'm painting my bike and replacing lots fo this sort of stuff, and just need an idea.

Jack
I got these parts from: http://www.cmsnl.com/ They are located in the Netherlands but take credit cards and deliver the goods. They seem to have an amazing amount of odd parts.

There's a guy on eBay who sellsparts manuals on CD for just about any bike. I got one for my 1200 and really likedit. It has all the exploded drawings, parts numbers and you can zoom in and out for detail. You can also orderparts from theCD. I ordered acouple parts and although they were a bit slow the parts came. I really recommend the parts manual, much handier than a Fiche. Irecently ordered another from them for my 1500.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Hi Jack:

I am in the same mode, 1982 Aspencade(2 tone silver). Need to replace the weatherstripping, but the big question is the repaint. Plan on solid gloss black. Many of the parts are a kind of plastic(trunk saddle bags, side covers) and also are topped with a decal pinstripe. All of this pin striping will need to be removed for a clean job, along with some small but significant scratches needing to be filled(with what?). I have no experience with this type of material. Should the bike (~13 pieces) be disassembled and sent to the painters in its original condition, or can some of the prep (grunt)work be done by me?

I have been lurking and working- the bike(34 K miles)now has new tires, brakes, forks seals, brake lines flushed, rear differential fluid changed, I even replaced the rear air shocks bushings(good thing ATF doesn't stain), no more direct shots to the spine on sharp edged bumps like manhole covers. Now for some cosmetic work, any idea what a single color repaint should cost roughly? (fairing,"tank", everything)

Sacramento and vacinity daytime temps in hi 70's! unusual and nice, driving home is a pleasure.

thanks

Ken

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

On a related note, make sure the bags lids are either locked or held on with cords, they can jump off on the highway. Lost one on the freeway and it was run over by a car.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

kenmschwarz wrote:
Hi Jack:

I am in the same mode, 1982 Aspencade(2 tone silver). Need to replace the weatherstripping, but the big question is the repaint. Plan on solid gloss black. Many of the parts are a kind of plastic(trunk saddle bags, side covers) and also are topped with a decal pinstripe. All of this pin striping will need to be removed for a clean job, along with some small but significant scratches needing to be filled(with what?). I have no experience with this type of material. Should the bike (~13 pieces) be disassembled and sent to the painters in its original condition, or can some of the prep (grunt)work be done by me?

Ken
I'd talk to a local paint shop, but I think the best way to go is to take all the plastic off for painting. Plenty of elbow grease with 400-600 grit wet or dry paper used wet will prep the paint, small scratches can usually be taken care of with a shot of sandable primer then some more sanding. Usually you can save considerable money by prepping for painting before taking it in. My old 1200 was repainted this way (great looking Ford Jade Green) and it cost less than 350 to get the painting done. I'd still recommend calling around to find a paint shop that will work with you. MAACO isn't too bad either, they repainted my truck and it looks good.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

kenmschwarz wrote:
Hi Jack:

thanks

Ken
Hi Ken,

I'm doing all my own grunt work. 400 grit sandpaper roughs up the whole finish so the new stuff "bites" into it, and also works well to remove the stripes. I've used 320 on the stripes, too, which is faster but you have to be careful of going too far down in the plastic and creating low spots. I'm doing all the paiting (two tone deep/light blue metallic) with good old rattle can lacquers. I read this article:

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_repaint.htm

to get started. I was skeptical at first of the finish, so I just did one side cover. I am TOTALLY happy with the results I'm getting. It's taking longer than just giving it to a paint shop, but I get the satisfaction of doing my own thing and it's costing about $50 or so.

Jack

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Part numbers are:

Right saddlebag weatherstrip 81325-463-770

Left saddlebag weatherstrip 81326-463-770

Trunk 81420-463-770

Retail on saddlebag weatherstrips are $32, trunk is $23. I got mine from www.hondaonlineparts.com and saved about 30% from the above costs.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote
There's a guy on eBay who sellsparts manuals on CD for just about any bike. I got one for my 1200 and really likedit. It has all the exploded drawings, parts numbers and you can zoom in and out for detail.
Hi! I'm also interested in the CD. Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it on ebay. I searched with the keywords "parts manual" and "parts manual Honda"

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I bought one from:

http://www.cdmoto.com/

It works great but I had to have the older Adobe Reader 6.0 installed to use it.

Now I have 2 versions of Adobe on this computer. But that was a year ago and he may have upgraded by now.

It is great to zoom in and see stuff though.

There are also web sites that do the same thing for free.

Mohawk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Oh Yea,

Welcome to the Greatest Wing info Site on the web.

You will love this site.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Part numbers are:

Right saddlebag weatherstrip 81325-463-770

Left saddlebag weatherstrip 81326-463-770

Trunk 81420-463-770

Retail on saddlebag weatherstrips are $32, trunk is $23. I got mine from http://www.hondaonlineparts.com and saved about 30% from the above costs.

Raymond
Hey that worked well for me Raymond, THANKS!. However at this date us "Old Dawg" drivers evidently have to settle for 2 outta' three 'cause there's no joy :sadguy:eek:n the right side number any more. I made a special inquiry but I ain't holdin' my breath. 'Sides . . . The damn deer seem to favor the left side for "close encounters" anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

The only way to paint a bike is to take all of the body work off and paint it individually. The more time and energy you spend on the prep the better the end product will look.
Steve

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Oh man, When I dug up some posts from 4 or 5 years ago, I got quite a lashing :whip:from Redwing... :cheeky1:Welcome to the Forum, Everyone!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.