Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I can get the cruise to work ok if I push out on the right brake lever while I set it,if I let go of holding the lever out the cruise disengages,is this because of the after market levers don't go back all the way? any help thanks.

John B

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

GW003…
you're probably correct that it's the aftermarket levers. Look beneath the lever where it contacts the switch contacts. It's not uncommon for them to just barely touch or not touch at all.

I got a killer deal (free) on a set of wide chrome levers designed for a 90-00 model. I've got an 88 and really wanted to make them work just cuz they look so cool. Found out that the pad on the lever doesn't even come close to touching the switches. Ended up building up the pad with JB Weld so it would touch…. now it's perfect but took some time.

That's the first place to look…. since your description says you have to push the brake lever.
The brake lever doesn't have the brass pivots like the clutch lever does. It does wear and can cause the same sort of problem. It'd be a good idea to check it for wear and replace it if needed. They are expendable and are designed to wear out.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I was having trouble with the cruise not setting unless the brake lever was pushed out last fall. Have stock levers. I got to checking it out and discovered the front brake switch holder had disintegrated a little from spraying contact cleaner on the on/off switch. A little spray ran onto switch holder. Honda had a new switch holder for $10.00. Still wasn`t working quite right, so I applied 3 layers of electrical tape till I heard "2" clicks when using front brale lever. Maybe I will replace pivot bolt next.
gumbyred

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.