Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have not posted in a long time, because I have had two trouble free riding seasons with my '82 1100i (put on about 35,000 miles over the past two years and have about 90,000 total on the bike now).

This past weekend I notice a small (2" diamater) puddle under my bike, and upon closer inspection I discovered that there were several small "spots" on the floor under where I typically park my bike that I had not noticed before. It looks like it is coolant coming from the water pump. At first I thought is was coming from the joint between the water pump and the main body of the engine. However after I cleaned it off I found that the coolant was coming from a small hole in the underside of the water pump housing. See attached picture.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never noticed this hole, nor do I have any clue what it is for. It looks like a machined hole so I assume it is supposed to be there for some reason. So my question is, do I have a serious problem that requires a mechanic, should I plug the hole with a high-temp epoxy, or is it just one of those things with a high mileage 29 year old Wing???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you need a water pump to me. That hole is called a weep hole, and typically when the seal fails on the water pump, you will see coolant coming out of there.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I agree with Pogo! If you care for your bike change the waterpump ASAP.

That hole is there to let out oil or coolant when the bearing seals go, indicating there is an issue. The ONLY way for coolant to come out of that hole is for it to make its way completly through the bearing (WATER IN THE BEARING).

Use only Honda pumps, seals, gaskets, and coolant. If you do you will not worry about the pump for another 25 years.

Bill

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Guys!!!! I knew this was the right place to ask. Next question. The mechanic that has done work on my bike, and many other old Wings is about 20 miles from my house. Can I ride it there or should I trailer it?

I know the"right" answer is to trailer it, but I don't have a trailer or vehicle to tow one so it would be a major pain to get that set up.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You can ride it there Steve. That leak will be very slow and won't get any worse on the 20 mile trip.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Did you just change anti freeze recently? Be sure to use "Silicate Free" type antifreeze. Honda antifreeze, or equivelant.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank You!!!

I love this bike and don't want to hurt her. I have put on about 50,000 realtively problem free miles since I bought her in August of 2008. It always puts a smile on my face when people say, "It's how old???" She's in great shape and she is a total kick to ride. I can cruise for 500+ miles in a day, orblast throughthe twisties scraping floor boards like she's a crotch rocket and everything in between.

I wonder if Honda will ever make another simple 1200 version for those of us whoprefersimple bikeover the two wheeled Lexus with every possible bell and whistlethat they have been making. Not that there is anythingwrong with the 15's and 18's, they are very nice and Iam sure that people love them as much asI love mine. I just prefer simple.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Stecker1100 wrote:
Thank You!!!

I love this bike and don't want to hurt her. I have put on about 50,000 realtively problem free miles since I bought her in August of 2008. It always puts a smile on my face when people say, "It's how old???" She's in great shape and she is a total kick to ride. I can cruise for 500+ miles in a day, orblast throughthe twisties scraping floor boards like she's a crotch rocket and everything in between.

I wonder if Honda will ever make another simple 1200 version for those of us whoprefersimple bikeover the two wheeled Lexus with every possible bell and whistlethat they have been making. Not that there is anythingwrong with the 15's and 18's, they are very nice and Iam sure that people love them as much asI love mine. I just prefer simple.
i am hearing you there.

you take care of it AND it`ll take care of you.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Before you panic; my Aspy has been 'weeping' for about 4 years now. Sometimes a
small puddle as you describe, sometimes just a few drops. And sometimes months go
by with nothing. It's nice to have a clean garage floor, especially if you life in an
apartment and the owners are fussy about that kind of thing, but if it were me I'd enjoy
whatever I had left of the riding season first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.