Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought a meticulously maintained 1997 SE that just turned 20,000 actual miles. On my first ride out after owning it a week, I was downshifting to use the engine to slow us down on an Interstate ramp when it jumped out of and back into 3rd gear. I thought it was my fault for not kicking it down hard enough. But then later it did it again - and I'm certain it wasn't operator error. Not after that first time. Anyone have this issue ? Comments ? Suggestions ? I sure hope I didn't just buy a lemon.

Also the radio scan doesn't seem to work. Not a huge deal - but..... I don't think this bike has EVER seen rain and it looks like new. Help !

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I would say it sounds like you just need to ride it more, through a couple more oil changes. 20k on it is such a small amount, the oil might just be gummed up in the transmission? Just a thought, I'm no guru! They will be along shortly!

And Welcome to the forum! You'll like it here!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

Do you have floorboards and heel/toe shifter? It is possible that the heel/toe needs adjusting.

John

·
Administrator
21,990 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Sapphire.

You say, "not after that first time". Does that mean it isn't popping out of gear anymore? Changing the oil and regular riding are probably all it needs there.

A way to make a bike look "showroom" is to drench it in an Armor-All type product. That stuff, when over used, has a tendency to interfere with electronic connections, like the scanner button on the handlebar. Don't go crazy with contact cleaner, because it can damage things too. But a bit of the stuff might help the radio.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
imported post

The `97 should have the better shift forks, and gears in it. Sounds like just a case of not being ridden enough.
(The most abusive thing you can do to a Gold Wing?) Just change the oil often, ride it like you stole it.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I meant that it wasn't operator error after that first time - I'm making certain that I give it a sure downshift. Yet it did seem to want to jump out and in again. oil was just changed 1100 miles ago. I'm going to go with the idea that the first owner didn't drive it like I am and the bike is going to need some time to adjust......

It sounds like this isn't a common problem.

Thanks fo the welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
imported post

Hey SapphireWing, Congratulations on the new wing

I have a 1998' Goldwing SE that has 5,700 original Miles on it the previous owner could not get his wife to ride with him, he was older, and then had a stroke and had to sell it.

Like the guys said just change the Oil, Goldwings are very durable

My 98' wing has less than 6K and it rides like a brand new bike.

Wings don't usually just kick out of gear.

I have Four Goldwings currently;

two are GL1500, one is a 88' has 75K miles, this one, when I bought it was lacking in maintenance, but once I completed ALL the maintenance it purr's like a kitten and now has full power & stops & handles well.

My low mileage NEW one, the 98' has only 5,700 Miles, neither kicks out of gear.

Goldwings are very durable.

Go on a long ride after changing the oil.

Westgl

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the replies. Went for a long ride today and driving a little more aggressively I had no problems from transmission - so I think I may have been at fault.

Now for the bad......

The Cruise Control was working great for the first 3/4 of the ride and then stopped working. Push it on and the Cruise On light comes on , but it won't set. A fuse or relay perhaps ?.

Then my lovely wife opened the compartment under the left rear speaker and promptly broke off the small tabs that it hinges on ! I sure love that woman.... I guess I'm not supposed to have anything nice anymore.

So I'm looking for a REALLY nice left rear glove box (?) in black for a '98 SE.

Be safe out there..

" Nothing is politically right that is morally wrong " - Abe Lincoln

·
Administrator
21,990 Posts
imported post

Well, I can't help you with the wife or the little door.

Check the brake light switches for the cruise control.

The rear brake light switch gets dirty and sticks on. It's very dangerous so you should check it out soon. Or, on the 15 there is a switch on the rear master cylinder specifically for the cruise. Same thing, it gets dirty. Then there are also micro switches on the handlebar brake and clutch levers.

Every time I go for a ride with a group of 'Wings, it seemsone of them is having a problem with the rear brake light switch and doesn't even know it.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
imported post

Hey Sapphirewing,

Do you have the stock Brake & clutch Levers?

Aftermarket chrome levers can cause the Cruise control to work intermittent.

Westgl

·
Administrator
58,202 Posts
imported post

I would pour in 4 oz of Sea Foam in the engine oil. run that for a couple of hundred miles. Drain, new filter, new oil, and I'm betting it will shift like a brand new machine.

diesel oils work great for trannys and engines.
Chevron's Delo 400 is very popular. Say 15w40....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.