Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks,:waving::waving::waving:

My darling 88 wing is beginning to show her age. I have just developed a small hole in the back of the right hand exhaust pipe, and she now sounds sick.:(

The pipe is perfect in every other respect. Is it possible to repair it.

I tried sticking chewing gum into the hole. Guess what!!! it melted.:?

The local orthopoedic surgeon was no help whatsoever, and neither was the Doctor.

He only suggested two valium, which I tried, but they melted too.

Any suggestions for a cure or replacement surgery is most welcome.:waving::waving::waving:

Brown Bear

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I have used muffler repair putty with great results. some of it can be sanded and painted with high temp paint to blend in.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

brown bear wrote:

My darling 88 wing is beginning to show her age. I have just developed a small hole in the back of the right hand exhaust pipe, and she now sounds sick.:(

The local orthopoedic surgeon was no help whatsoever, and neither was the Doctor.

Any suggestions for a cure or replacement surgery is most welcome.:waving::waving::waving:

Brown Bear
Braze a patch on it! Shouldn't be to expensive at a welding shop if you don't have the tools. An internal patch looks best if you can get it inside, otherwise a small patch on the outside might not look like new but it's a lot cheaper than a new pipe and it will last as long as the rest of the pipe. It would be a good idea to go over the pipe with a small hammer (lightly, don't want dents) to see if there are any other rotten areas.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Exavidhas the idea.. If the hole is small, I just braze it up and grind it smooth.. The bronze will blacken with time.. However, if there is a larger area of rust or metal disintegration around the hole, a patch of steel will need to be brazed over it.. Bronze will not rust or be eaten away with exhaust acids so it should lasta lifetime.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

brown bear wrote:

I tried sticking chewing gum into the hole.

Any suggestions for a cure or replacement.
Hey brown bear :waving: Replace it with a new exhaust job done. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
brown bear wrote:

I tried sticking chewing gum into the hole.

Any suggestions for a cure or replacement.
Hey brown bear :waving: Replace it with a new exhaust job done. :clapper:
Waste not, want not!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Post count dont matter to me anymore. :clapper:I have collected my prize. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

brown bear wrote:

Brown Bear, that rusted area is probably larger than is showing now. More than likely the area around the rust hole is full of rust & pithy metal. If you try to braze or weld on that hole it will probably grow in size or popas you apply heat.

I'm not sure if you can gain inside access to the area your hole isin but if so, just make up a curved metal plate (one for inside & a matching one for outside) then place one piece inside thepipe with the other outside the pipe& a bolt through the middle to hold them tightly together. Personally I would use stainless steel but I have access to that material. Even cold rolled steel will hold up for quite a while if sealed with exhaust sealer on the contact area of the steel plates.

If no inside access to thepipeyou could make the inside plate oval shaped so it will slip in through the hole from the outsidebut extend long on the ends.

To make those curved metal plates either bend up pieces of thin steel, or find a piece of exhaust pipe the same diameter as your muffler pipe (truck pipe) & cut the pieces from that.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Mix up some JB Weld and patch it . :)

:12red::cooldj:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:
Waste not, want not!
Thats your opinion. :stumped:

:walker::18red::walker:
Guess Redwing was borned with a silver spoon in his mouth...us po-boys can not buy everything new....

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Guess Redwing was borned with a silver spoon in his mouth...us po-boys can not buy everything new....
Anyone who can afford a goldwing :clapper:should be able to buy new parts for them when needed.:clapper: I cant afford a wing so i dont have to worry about buying parts. :jumper:My neighbour does all that. :weightlifter:Just my 2euro worth.

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Yea I fixed it with muffler repair putty. It's bloody marvellous stuff.

It's called, wait for it "GUN GUM". I think the army uses it for sticking howitzers together. And for you guys across the pond, I reckon the marines use it instead of chewin' tobacky.:D:D:D

Hey Redwing, of course I can afford a new set of exhausts, but it's much better fun keeping an old girl in original condition.:D And besides she is much quieter since I started adding valium to the fuel tank. Only problem, I can't wake her up in the morning.

Thanks Davebave, I hadn't thought of the high temp paint. Much appreciated.

Bye for now.

Brown Bear.:waving::waving::waving:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.