Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This is a 84 GL1200 engine I'm working on, 88k miles on the clock.
Engine runs quiet and shifts good. Current owner has put 30k + miles on it with no internal work done.

I found this steel piece after pulling the transmission cover.
The piece was laying in a little recess of the block.
It's a tad thicker than a penny.

Looking at the piece in the second picture it's obvious it broke off something.
Any ideas what that something would be?
From what I can remember of the clutch parts I don't think it's a clutch related part.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

It sure looks like a penny. What's the bit next to it?

Seriously though, I had the clutch out of mine and I can't think of anything like that in there. It looks like it's taken a hammering on the face. There is a rivetted spring plate in the middle of the clutch plates- could it be from this? As I recall that is thinner and it doesn't look the correct diameter- too small.
A worse possibility is something from the main engine/gearbox area. There must be an oil gallery between this and the clutch.
I once had a gearbox lock up on a Suzuki GT750. In that case a piece of previously damaged clutch had gone into the gearbox via the oilway (A large 1/2 inch hole). I hope you can identify it.....Steve

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Just a wild guess but could it be the clip that holds the stator plug in the rear housing?It seems to me there is a clip on the inside to hold this to the case. Paul

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Looks like it was from a thrust washer, Honda calls the part a thrust bushing.

We'll prolly just run with it, I'm not ready to split the case to dig in besides it could be left over from an old repair to the transmission.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.