Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Looking for any and all suggestions for my current meter replacement. Does anyone have a working spare for sale? Any and all suggestions are appreciated! My understanding is "Kriss" is out of business, has been for years. I've looked everywhere! I want to keep my bike as original as possible. I have a 97 se. See attached for pic of meter. Thanks to everyone in advance!

Attachments

Registered
Several
I could be wrong, but I do not think that is original equipment any way. Seems like there is supposed to be a Goldwing emblem there.

Rayjoe

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Apparently these particular meters were made for a select few goldwings. Think you had to order them with the bike. You're correct, they didn't come on all bikes just the ones who ordered them custom. Sadly, KRISS who made them for Honda has since retired...

Administrator
Thank you for the reply. Apparently these particular meters were made for a select few goldwings. Think you had to order them with the bike. You're correct, they didn't come on all bikes just the ones who ordered them custom. Sadly, KRISS who made them for Honda has since retired...
That is strictly an aftermarket add on, it could not be ordered with the bike, it was either added at the dealer or by the owner.

Registered
The switch next to it is kinda a hack job, too. If you want original, you might want to start hunting for a good clean combination switch cover and emblem while you can still get them. That color is harder to come by, but if not new, a good used one can be found.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is strictly an aftermarket add on, it could not be ordered with the bike, it was either added at the dealer or by the owner.
Well, I'm simply going by what others have told me, including my local dealer. My is actually part of my wiring harness so I suppose someone replaced the entire harness when they added the meter. Either way, Do you have a recommendation for replacement? Thats the intention of my post....Thank you for your reply and your vast amount of knowledge sir!
yep,
after market item,
get anything that works and pleases you
Thank you for the reply! Whether or not its factory isn't my question. This particular unit plugs into my wiring harness. My question is; is there an aftermarket to replace this one that you're aware of? (I Can't help but wonder how someone either dealer or person was able to mold the hole the meter sits in tho.... its definitely molded and not cut)
The switch next to it is kinda a hack job, too. If you want original, you might want to start hunting for a good clean combination switch cover and emblem while you can still get them. That color is harder to come by, but if not new, a good used one can be found.
Thank for the reply and your suggestion to solve my current problem! Nice of you to put my bike down! Feel better? Hope so! Did you think i haven't noticed? This bike however was in my price range and I'm rather proud of it! Sorry My bank account doesnt support your opinions or taste. Have a great day, be safe and God bless!

Administrator
We're just trying to help by telling you not to be looking for a Honda part because it isn't a Honda part. That harness it plugs into is probably piggy backed into another harness connector somewhere.

Registered
Not putting your bike down. It's just there are a lot of people that like to restore these old bikes, and the parts to do so are getting harder and harder to find. So if that was your intention don't wait to long. I wish I had snagged a few more bits from Honda when I had the chance.
As to the meter you have, if you like it, I'm sure it could be restored pretty easy. It was no doubt a cottage industry type product, so it is probably very easy to get apart. Not like modern mass produced items molded and glued into a monolithic device. Depending on the internal condition, either replace the display or just gut the whole thing and use a modern micro controller and your favorite type of display. Everything is so much smaller it's easy to fit into older housings. Either DIY or find a good electronics person to do it for you. Check a local makerspace.

Registered
Several
Thank for the reply and your suggestion to solve my current problem! Nice of you to put my bike down! Feel better? Hope so! Did you think i haven't noticed? This bike however was in my price range and I'm rather proud of it! Sorry My bank account doesnt support your opinions or taste. Have a great day, be safe and God bless!
Responses like this are not going to help you get the information you seek.

Rayjoe

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're just trying to help by telling you not to be looking for a Honda part because it isn't a Honda part. That harness it plugs into is probably piggy backed into another harness connector somewhere.
Thanks Dave! Everyone's ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated and valued since I'm completely New to Goldwing and all its complexity. Im here to simply find a replacement or alternative. I understand this isn't a Honda factory part, but it was manufactured specifically for Goldwing and to be installed where most "badges" are. My hopes were someone here had knowledge of someone who repairs/rebuilds these or knowledge of a competitor company/meter. Think my best bet is to find someone to rebuild this one! Thanks again!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not putting your bike down. It's just there are a lot of people that like to restore these old bikes, and the parts to do so are getting harder and harder to find. So if that was your intention don't wait to long. I wish I had snagged a few more bits from Honda when I had the chance.
As to the meter you have, if you like it, I'm sure it could be restored pretty easy. It was no doubt a cottage industry type product, so it is probably very easy to get apart. Not like modern mass produced items molded and glued into a monolithic device. Depending on the internal condition, either replace the display or just gut the whole thing and use a modern micro controller and your favorite type of display. Everything is so much smaller it's easy to fit into older housings. Either DIY or find a good electronics person to do it for you. Check a local makerspace.
Thank you so much for your reply. Now this is great advice and looks like the path I'll travel. Im lost when is comes to electronics, especially internal anything. Anything more than, Red wire to red wire and twist together is way above my education and patience level. Lol! I bought this bike and haven't done anything to it except add gas and change oil. I ride it daily and really love it. Its a beautiful bike, but the last owner abused or neglected her and now I'm trying to piece her back together. I'll try to find a local electronics repair person. Thanks again!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts