Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I hope you can stand a long post.This is my first Goldwing & I am returning to riding after 18 years. Last bike was a CB 750K.I have ridden a gold wing briefly backwhen the 1200 firstcame out I felt right athome.and changed a stator one 1 (it was so long ago I forgot just how it was done. But I have wanted a wing for a long time. Maybe I waited too long.

1. I have about 2 1/2 in slack in the drive train measured at the wheel-COMMENTS??? I will look closer when it gets warmer.

2. I rode it a little the other day-my hips are bad my left one being the worst(I have stock pegs) I need to get my foot a little lower so the bend in my knee isn't as sharp.Will floor boards lower the foot position and let my left foot ride a little more under the left cylinder head.(I realize it can't be totally under the head but any gain will help).And maybe move the shifter down and forward a little.I adjusted the seat as far as it will gorearward but maybe I can get another inch back-then somehow move the rear trunck back to allow for my wiffeee to ride. The big issue is to get as much of the knee bend out(to a degree-then it gets worse againa) I have trouble lifting the leg up if the knee is bent too far back. Any input will be listened to,since I can't afford to waste $$ my disability check isn't a lot.

As it is I don't feel in control as leg reaction time is so slow,I felt like a new rider ,and never felt at all insecure as I do now.I rode a CB750 3 weeks ago and it was no where as bad as this was.But my preffered choice is the wing.

Thanks Mr bill

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

1, sounds about right for drive train play.
But if the bike is new to you, remove the rear wheel and inspect the drive and driven splines. The driven splines are connected to the wheel via pins which locate in hard rubber located in the wheel. If all is well Lube with Moly grease.

2 Boards will get your feet lower. You may find that a custom made seat might give you better positioning and adding a luggage box repositioner might give you extra room.
Replacing the pegs with boards will give you another problem if you find it difficult to lift the leg because with most of the boards they use a heel toe shifter which requires you to actually lift your foot upwards in order to operater the shifter.
You might find it desirable to add an electronic shifter, that would put the shifting into your left hand rather than the foot.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have a CB750 and a 'wing with boards. My hip bothers me sometimes on either bike. I will say that I can ride hundreds of miles on the 'wing though.

Goldwings are great to cure old age.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Be carefull how low you mount anything because if you bank a little to far, you will make contact with the road. Find a quality set of riding pegs that you can strech out on while cruising the highway. use your pegs or boards for shifting & brakeing. this will allow your joints to be more comfortable.

you can modify your seat by cutting it back a little farther if you can still accomidate the wife that way.

I would also look into a pair of risers for your handlebars. they would help you lean back a little more taking pressure off your hips.

As you get more comfortable with the wing, you might find yourself leaning back more anyways & it will help you physically in the long run. I think that a lil here & a lil there will take care of the problem overall!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Since I have long legs the king/queen seat on my gl1000 put me too low and too far forward. I cut the seat down to a more flat profile so I could slide back and also fabricated brackets to raise it 2 inches. That and raising it another 1/2 inch by adding a sheepskin made a huge difference in comfort.

Q

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

There is/was a thread on fabricating brackets to move the trunk back..do a search or maybe someone will know the exact link to it???

Try crash bars with full foot pads..this will allow you to stretch out.

try a pillow on the seat..see if it helps if it does..have your seat redesigned to match to height??

Try lowering the pegs?? with custom brackets..but watch out for cornering issues with dragging pegs and having to lift you foot to brake or shift..or adjust the brake and shifter arms too.

Easiest of the above is the raise your seat..but it will raise you center of gravity not good, as it will effect handling in a big way in the twisties..but not on the highway..or around town much!!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

When I first picked up my current 77 project it had floor boards on. I didn't like them as it made it extremely difficult to put side stand down. They were easier to move your feet around on but to me it felt like riding a horse without stirrups.

I took them off and put standard pegs back on.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I Should add I have short legs 30 inch inseam yet 6 ft tall.I have highway bords on my engine gaurds-streching the hip that wide hurt like the devel,I need to loose a bunch of weight,this will help too.The origional pegs are out for now unless I can adjust the shift lever up & down.
I have a lot to figure out & I think somr fabing to get things right.I am thinking it will take just the right position to be comfortable (not much leeway)-Gettin older is rough.
I would appreciate any close up pics of the pegs and heel toe shifter.Also the linkfor electric shifters.

All your input is being digested & is greatly appreciated. Mr Bill

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Bill, I too have short legs. Only 28" inseam, and bought a different seat but the company didn't lower it any more than the standard one. So I'm now looking at a Corbin seat that will lower us but I'm tiold that there isn't much padding on these. So I'm still researching.I think that you have to have your own padding for that.:) :waving:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

1-Normal
2- You might want to consider Mick-O-Pegs.. a little pricey, but will do what you want.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Misterbill you can move shifter up or down one bolt to remove pull off splines move to new position install bolt and tighten.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Just to let everyone know I appreciate the feedback-and will need more.I haven't been able to do much since this post Bike wise-I had to get a biopsy and tore my right archillies tendon so actually trying any ideas are on the back burner-Micko-pegs look like a viable option or as an addition.(my cruiser boards most probably won't be helpful (for me at least-too wide-causes pain in my hip)
Question with just floor boards (no heel -toe shifter)can I adjust the stock shifter so it is easily accesable from the floor boards. I am correct I hope-floor boards will be a little over over 1 1/2 in lower then peggs???Floor boards are lower and clear the sidestand(possibly custom made pegs could be lower without interfering with the side stand. Floor boards are kinda long(might not be comfortable-or maybe even clumsy)I have a limited motion as to how wide I can spread my legs-no it doesn't interfear with other duties LOL.
So many things I wqant to do like syncing carbs-greasing final drive spline-fixing rear brakes(possible master cyl-or maybe just bleeding)-According to tach idle is way to slow-I think the tach is off-need to check it out.Check wheel bearings_front& rear-and triple tree bearings need to be at least checked. Saw a fine hair line crack on the rear trunk lid where luggage rack bolts on.Needs a good cleaning and a loving carressing with some wax.
I am supporting a step daughter with2 wonderful grand children 2 & 3 years,on my pension so $ is a big slow down problem.
Well I better stop ranting -just like a little boy waiting for a new bycycle.Hmm reminds me I am also working on a modified hydrostatic lawn tractor for the 3 year old that will be slow,safe,and tamper proof.(lots of saftey switches and panels to keep fingers out of "harms way".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.