Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Donny here from upstate NY. Don't own a wing yet, but I'm hoping you folks can help me find the right project bike. I'm a disabled vet living on my payments, so money's VERY tight. Obviously, a basket case is right up my alley! This will be a bare-bones bike with simple vintage looking fenders, a single saddle seat, and the only tins will be the tank cover and fenders. No battery cover.

1. I'm gonna add a custom sidecar. Either by buying a sidecar frame designed for a wing, or making one. The type of car is a surprise.

2. I'm going to strip it down, so condition of fairing, sidecases, trunk, and cover panels are unimportant. (Thinking about removing the GW tank cover, and replacing it with a Valkyrie tank cover).

3. Must have the older steel tubular frame, so pre-2001.

4. Must have reverse, so newer than 1988.

5. Going darkside with the tires, so without tires is fine.

Who's got an old GL1500 stashed away, taking up space, or getting in the way?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
58,282 Posts
Hallo sixbennetts

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your search for a Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Hi folks,

Donny here from upstate NY. Don't own a wing yet, but I'm hoping you folks can help me find the right project bike. I'm a disabled vet living on my payments, so money's VERY tight. Obviously, a basket case is right up my alley! This will be a bare-bones bike with simple vintage looking fenders, a single saddle seat, and the only tins will be the tank cover and fenders. No battery cover.

1. I'm gonna add a custom sidecar. Either by buying a sidecar frame designed for a wing, or making one. The type of car is a surprise.

2. I'm going to strip it down, so condition of fairing, sidecases, trunk, and cover panels are unimportant. (Thinking about removing the GW tank cover, and replacing it with a Valkyrie tank cover).

3. Must have the older steel tubular frame, so pre-2001.

4. Must have reverse, so newer than 1988.

5. Going darkside with the tires, so without tires is fine.

Who's got an old GL1500 stashed away, taking up space, or getting in the way?

Thanks!

You do know the 1988 has reverse.....right.....??:grin3:

If looking for a GL1500, might I suggest a 1992 (or newer) to get some nice upgrades.....!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do know the 1988 has reverse.....right.....??:grin3:

If looking for a GL1500, might I suggest a 1992 (or newer) to get some nice upgrades.....!
Sure do, should have said newer than 87!0:)

The frame changed from tubular steel to aluminum in 2001, so that's as late as I want to go because I'll be stripping it down. But yeah, what years and what upgrades are you talking about that I should know?

That's why I'm here! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Sure do, should have said newer than 87!0:)

The frame changed from tubular steel to aluminum in 2001, so that's as late as I want to go because I'll be stripping it down. But yeah, what years and what upgrades are you talking about that I should know?

That's why I'm here! :smile2:
Upgrades to the starting, ignition and coolant systems.

Such as electrical circuits controlled (powered) by the 55-amp "Dog Bone" fuse and the 30-amp main fuse. Also how the starting circuit is configured regarding the starter relays A and B plus the starter motors are wired differently. Coolant system was upgraded in 1992 (less components) and more efficient. I know as we upgraded a 1989 coolant system to the newer 1992 system...!!

I have documents on my computer that describes how all of this is configured for the 1988 - 1992 compared to the 1993 - 2000 years.

Good luck with your search and project....!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Upgrades to the starting, ignition and coolant systems.

Such as electrical circuits controlled (powered) by the 55-amp "Dog Bone" fuse and the 30-amp main fuse. Also how the starting circuit is configured regarding the starter relays A and B plus the starter motors are wired differently. Coolant system was upgraded in 1992 (less components) and more efficient. I know as we upgraded a 1989 coolant system to the newer 1992 system...!!

I have documents on my computer that describes how all of this is configured for the 1988 - 1992 compared to the 1993 - 2000 years.

Good luck with your search and project....!
This is all very helpful. Especially the cooling system being simpler. As I said above, this build will be a stripped down, bobber/cafe/rat bike hybrid. I wanna get down to the bones of the bike, then build it back up as kind of a vintage European cruiser. Leather bags, a teardrop tank, (considering keeping the stock frame tank, and maybe putting a Valkyrie tank cover on it, if that's even possible). I also like the look of Indian style swept back fenders.

I have a local welder/modder who suggested a springer front end, (he's old school crazy like that!), but I'm leaning towards a leading link, sidecar style front end.

Now, knowing the general direction I'm going with this, how do the above electrical improvements figure in? If it's more complicated, would it benefit the build.

Since it'll have a sidecar, I like the idea of better cooling! So, it's looking like the closer I can get to 2001 models, the better, right?

Anyboby ever put spoke rims on a GW? >:)

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
This is all very helpful. Especially the cooling system being simpler. As I said above, this build will be a stripped down, bobber/cafe/rat bike hybrid. I wanna get down to the bones of the bike, then build it back up as kind of a vintage European cruiser. Leather bags, a teardrop tank, (considering keeping the stock frame tank, and maybe putting a Valkyrie tank cover on it, if that's even possible). I also like the look of Indian style swept back fenders.

I have a local welder/modder who suggested a springer front end, (he's old school crazy like that!), but I'm leaning towards a leading link, sidecar style front end.

Now, knowing the general direction I'm going with this, how do the above electrical improvements figure in? If it's more complicated, would it benefit the build.

Since it'll have a sidecar, I like the idea of better cooling! So, it's looking like the closer I can get to 2001 models, the better, right?

Anyboby ever put spoke rims on a GW? >:)

I agree......

The electrical upgrades were not complicated.....! They would not change anything regarding your plans.

Its the same components, difference is what they control and such....! Would you rather have one wire or two wires going to the starter motor....??? Just one example...!

The drive line (trans, U-joint, drive shaft etc.) was upgraded in 1997.

Don't know of anyone putting spoked wheels on a GL1500....!

I have only ridden GL1500's since 1993 and don't know much about them..............:ROFL:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The drive line (trans, U-joint, drive shaft etc.) was upgraded in 1997.
What was the upgrade? Strength, longevity, easier maintenance?

This build would be SO much easier if the Valkyrie was available with reverse! It's more of a stripped down old school version of the Goldwing. Kinda sorta.

Were 6 cylinder engines available between '97 and 2001?

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
What was the upgrade? Strength, longevity, easier maintenance?

This build would be SO much easier if the Valkyrie was available with reverse! It's more of a stripped down old school version of the Goldwing. Kinda sorta.

Were 6 cylinder engines available between '97 and 2001?
Mainly strength........!!

Yes on 6-cylinder question.

The GL1500 "Gold Wing" engine had 96 hp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so:

1997-2001, GL1500 6cyl.

Would all the above GW's have reverse, or just the Aspencade & SE? Was reverse an option or standard on all '97-'01 GW's?

Interstate doesn't have reverse, but does everything else in that year range have it, or was it an option that had to be ordered, is I guess what I'm asking!? Lol

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Ok, so:

1997-2001, GL1500 6cyl.

Would all the above GW's have reverse, or just the Aspencade & SE? Was reverse an option or standard on all '97-'01 GW's?

Interstate doesn't have reverse, but does everything else in that year range have it, or was it an option that had to be ordered, is I guess what I'm asking!? Lol
All 1988 - 1990 GL1500's have reverse (standard).

All 1991 - 2000 GL1500 (Aspencade's and SE's) have reverse (standard).

The 1991 - 1996 GL1500 (Interstate) does not have reverse. (It was not available on the Interstate)

There was no 1997 - 2000 Interstates.

Note: The 2001 was a GL1800 (not a GL1500).........!!

Note: The GL1500 Interstate was only made for 1991 - 1996.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts