Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Get the 98 - 2000 year.

Full time running lights (rather than cornering lights) on the SE.

Newer (brighter) style head light assembly.

Muffler tips nicer looking. It will have a slightly more (not a lot) throaty sound....!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Get the 98 - 2000 year.

Full time running lights (rather than cornering lights) on the SE.

Newer (brighter) style head light assembly.

Muffler tips nicer looking. It will have a slightly more (not a lot) throaty sound....!
Gonna be stripping it down, remember? Don't know how much of the headlight assembly will be left.

Now I gotta find a 98-2000 GL1500 se or Aspencade that somebody wrecked the tins on or layed over.

How do I find a busted up one? Something where the frame, wheels/tires, and drivetrain are all good, but the boxes/trunk/fairing are toast?

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Gonna be stripping it down, remember? Don't know how much of the headlight assembly will be left.

Now I gotta find a 98-2000 GL1500 se or Aspencade that somebody wrecked the tins on or layed over.

How do I find a busted up one? Something where the frame, wheels/tires, and drivetrain are all good, but the boxes/trunk/fairing are toast?

Was only trying to help........sorry....I'm done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is kinda what I have in mind. This is an 1100, so not the right years, and I'd also probably not add the side cases because I'll have plenty of storage in the sidecar.

So how 'bout it? Who's got an old 97-2000 Aspencade or SE kicking around, getting in the way, taking up space?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also do you care if you have white faced instruments or black? That could narrow down your years even more. The white reflects off the windscreen, but I guess that won't be an issue for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Also do you care if you have white faced instruments or black? That could narrow down your years even more. The white reflects off the windscreen, but I guess that won't be an issue for you.
I actually prefer the white gauge faces. And like you said, no windshield, no reflection.

I'm trying to talk to the owner of a 96 with a sidecar. My neighbor found it online somewhere. She's really trying to help us find something.

·
Administrator
57,640 Posts
This is all very helpful. Especially the cooling system being simpler. As I said above, this build will be a stripped down, bobber/cafe/rat bike hybrid. I wanna get down to the bones of the bike, then build it back up as kind of a vintage European cruiser. Leather bags, a teardrop tank, (considering keeping the stock frame tank, and maybe putting a Valkyrie tank cover on it, if that's even possible). I also like the look of Indian style swept back fenders.

I have a local welder/modder who suggested a springer front end, (he's old school crazy like that!), but I'm leaning towards a leading link, sidecar style front end.

Now, knowing the general direction I'm going with this, how do the above electrical improvements figure in? If it's more complicated, would it benefit the build.

Since it'll have a sidecar, I like the idea of better cooling! So, it's looking like the closer I can get to 2001 models, the better, right?

Anyboby ever put spoke rims on a GW? >:)

Does this look like what you want to build?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
WE FOUND A BIKE!!!

Or at least, a friend of ours found one for us. Unbeknownst to us, a young lady from oncology found us a donor bike. She and I became fast friends during my treatments, and have been close ever since.

She took it upon herself to email and/or call, well.... Everyone!! (If she contacted you, I apologize! She's extremely bubbly).

She found an Airbus pilot in AZ with a 97 GL1500 Aspencade he was selling for a great price. Once she explained how we used the old Ural outfit for meals-on-wheels and taking vets for rides, (kids too), he told her she could have it!!

He called me outa the blue to confirm her story, and we hit it off right away. We're the same age, each have a few grown sons, and love helping people!!

Kismet.

I put a listing up on Uship, so we'll see if that materializes, but we're hopeful, (as always).

Here's some pics, it looks beautiful!! And only 60k miles on it!

Now I have to find a sidecar.

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,640 Posts
that looks just like my '98SE that I used to have....

what a wonderful outcome!

hope that you can find a sidecar out there..
I used to live in Mesa, AZ.

I trimmed the black off of the 1st picture, and uploaded it and made it full screen for you.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts