Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Was wiring up saddle bag lights to my GL 1100 and it just quit running. I lost my lights and everything. checked all fuses and all seem to be okay. I jumped battery to starter to make sure no problem there, it turned over. I checked continuity on dogbone fuse and all was well. I'm going back out to see if I actually have voltage going to my ignition switch while I wait for someone to reply.

Thx:stumped::stumped::stumped::stumped::stumped:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

okay I've got 12 volts on both sides of dogbone fuse, but I have no voltage to my fuse panel?

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

If you disconect the lights you added do you get power back?

Not sure if the configuration on the 1100 is the same as the 1000 but my old wing died on me all of a sudden once. Found a connection behind and under the headlight that was loose. Tightened that up and she came back to life. Worth a look I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

it still would be my guess that its the dog bone fuse--if you lost all power . pull it an see if you still have only one pice .

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi iam not up to speed on the 1100 but on the 1500 we have a fuse that runs the side lights and when this blowes we lose all power to the ignation guages ect looks like you shorted one sorry to say but go back and cheque again just caught your reply after the dogbone you should have a 30 amp maby in a rubber cover

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

pulled the dog bone fuse, still in one piece, checked voltage from starter switch, pulled connector from ignition switch checked for voltage, put connector back on and regained power, connector must have been loose. Thx for the quick responses guys I really appreciate it.
Tom

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Same thing happened about an hour later. I went to my sisters house and when I went to leave--------nothing, no lights no anything. One thing I did notice is I had 12 volts all the way to the ignition switch. So my thinking is maybe I'm loosing a ground somewhere? I played around with the connectors for about 10 minutes and all of a sudden the lights came back on and I drove home. This has got me worried since I do ride to work everyday. Last thing I want is to be driving down the road and lose my lights and everything. Boy that would suck. anyway still looking for suggestions. Does anyone know the ground circuit or any ideas?

Thx for all the input.:stumped:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

GS whoosh right over my head I have been checking to ground on battery not the frame, that will tell me if I'm loosing ground in the field thx will try that when I get home tonight.
By the way I'm a huge Buckeye fan being from Carlisle Ohio, are you a fan.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

gl1100 ignition switch is usual culprit. mine has always had a bad spot - I've got a replacement - going on 10 years and still haven't changed it. might have a bad connector or wire in the assembly but play around with the key in the switch and see if you don't find a dead spot...

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Just to let everyone know I did find the culprit in this matter a few weeks back. The short pig tail wiring harness to the ignition switch had been jacked up by PO, I had to cut all the wires and solder them back together. They were all butt spliced and had corroded so bad they were loosing their connection.:cool::action:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

The igniton switch is a fairly common problem in these older wings. Another thing you might want to do is take the switch out and then rap wire/twist tie or something similar so that the top and the bottom of the switch are held together.

The small plastic clips/contacts tend to weaken/wear over age and allow the bottom ( replacement portion ) to drop just enough that they make contact on a hit & miss basis. Causes no end of frustration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.