Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello

Where does a guy start to lookwhen theoverdrive light don't light in 5th?:baffled:

Thanks in advance,Doug

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the bulb? Probably the easiest to check. From there, I'd look at the switch. You can download a electronic manual for the 1500 to see where all these parts are.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Is not that switch the same as the neutral switch? I am just to lazy to look it up.

Might be easier to check the switch before diving into the the other electrical wires and dash.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

check the bulb first think about it its on most of the time bet its burnt out, the neutral switch is inside the front engine case but can be checked from behind the right lower side panel above the turn lamp if it has one you will need to get the manual to do it

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

check the bulb is fun...you gotta pull a bunch of crap off to pull the display out...not too bad a job!

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Why not just turn the key on, watch the display and see if the bulb comes on during the test cycle. If it does, then look at the switches and wiring.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

More than likely, the bulb is burned out. Remove the keyswitch cover over the handlebar, remove the left pull out panel between the handlebar and the side pocket. Reach up under the dash, and directly behind the OD light is it's plug. Pull it out and replace with a #161 bulb. Put her all back together and try her out. Usually fixes the problem.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Wing-Rider wrote:
Why not just turn the key on, watch the display and see if the bulb comes on during the test cycle. If it does, then look at the switches and wiring.
This would be the first thing I would do before pulling the clocks :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Hmm, I just checked my 88, and mine does not go through a self-test for the OD light when the ignition key is first turned on. But, my OD light does work in 5th.

What year change did this self-check occur?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Hmm, I just checked my 88, and mine does not go through a self-test for the OD light when the ignition key is first turned on. But, my OD light does work in 5th.

What year change did this self-check occur?
That's very interesting. I sold my 1998 and am unable to verify that information.

Even the 2007 one doesn't test all bulbs either. You may end up having to test the bulb manually by removing it or swapping it out with another bulb or something like that.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 1500 bulb test doesn't check the OD light. It checks all the other lower bulbs but not that one. I've changed them by removing the left hand inner fairing, the J shaped piece between the left cubby and handlebar, didn't need to remove the bridge. The 1500 has a neutral switch with extra contacts that tell the ECU what gear is being used. The ignition timing is adjusted when the switch tells the engine that the transmission is in fourth or fifth gear. If your bike is running normally it's likelythe bulb or socket is causing the problem. If those check out you can test the operation of the gear position switch, it's not really called a neutral switch on these bikes, by disconnecting the switch and checking the green/orange wire from the switch. This wire should show continuity to ground only when the transmission is in fifth gear. If it doesn't the switch is defective.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

GLester wrote:
More than likely, the bulb is burned out. Remove the keyswitch cover over the handlebar, remove the left pull out panel between the handlebar and the side pocket. Reach up under the dash, and directly behind the OD light is it's plug. Pull it out and replace with a #161 bulb. Put her all back together and try her out. Usually fixes the problem.:)

It was the bulb-Took about 2 minutes to change.-I hate having something not work the way it should.:cool::clapper::action:

Thanks guys!:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

And doesn't it feel great when you fix it? :cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I found out that you could change most of the lower bulbs the hard way. I'd pulled the instrument panel to replace the illuminating lights and and the sidestand warning light. It was only the next day that the OD light burned out. I can tell you I wasn't willing to pull the panel again for that one bulb. Having had the panel out did give me the idea I could reach behind it to replace that bulb.

Moral of the story: If you remove the instrument panel change ALL the bulbs!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

wow!..i didnt know you could get to em that easy...where have i been?...cool!...thx...ps i got big hands though!!

GLester wrote:

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Now you tell me ! :doh:

Hickey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.