Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I decided to go over to the other side with a Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16 82H BSW for my 1500. Everything I have been reading on here, not the least of all money, convinced me to give it a try.

I mounted the tire myself (a bit of a struggle with just spoons) and got to setting the bead and it just will not fully seat on 1 side. I have 100 lbs. pressure in there and it still will not seat. I'm using a ratchet strap around the middle and valve core removed. I even sprayed in a little soapy water to no avail.

Another potential problem I spotted was that the old tire measured 6.375" (mounted) and the new tire measured (7") unmounted. It has always been tight to get the 6.375" MT out of there and I'm wondering if that is an issue with the CT.

My immediate trouble is to get that bead seated. Sticking 100 lbs. in it is making me nervous about explosion so please don't suggest lighter fluid. I'm hoping someone has a little trick I'm missing. I know this must be somewhat of an issue as I saw that Rudy had his up to 90 lbs. to seat. Thank you,

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Lube the bead good and then try bouncing it off the floor (in a safe place and keep your hands out of the way) or putting it against a wall and whack the tread area with a sledge hammer. I have done this method successfully on stubborn tires.

I have seen an Internet video of someone squirting a little lighter fluid inside a tire and then throwing a match on it - poof, tire mounted itself. I have no experience with this method of tire mounting.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The 'soapy water' may be too diluted. :stumped:

Try pushing the bead that won't seat in towards the centre again, apply a healthy shot of WD40 on both rim /tire bead, then tighten up on the ratchet strap and try again.:?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Using bead lub is the recommended way. Have used either lots of times with many heart stoppingmoments but never ona bike wheel. 100 psi is way to high also.:byebye:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Had the tire and rim sitting upstairs behind sliding glass door in the sun trying to warm it up. Another possible big mistake I made was I used bead sealer on it. It makes kind of a rubber cement kind of seal. That may be helping to hold it back along with cold temperatures in the garage.

I just picked up one of those air chucks that clips onto the valve (rather than have my jugular near it when it blows).

My plan is now to clean off the tire sealer on that section of the bead and to lube it up real good and give it another go. Thank you guys

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I've got no C/T to M/C experience, but at 100psi... just reading this is making me think twice about ever doing it in the cold.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,380 Posts
imported post

Sounds like he's getting the beads to seal to get the pressure to build..... beads just won't pop. Give it a shot of wd40 and it will go. Shouldn't need to worry about the tire slipping on the rim if it seats that hard.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

The tire has to slide across the inner edge of the wheel to seat properly and the sealer is probably creating too much friction. Clean the bead sealer off and just use tire lube, silicone or soapy water.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I thought I read sometime ago that soapy water will cause the rims to pit?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yeah I read the same thing about soapy water causing the rims to pit and I usually only use it for slipping the tires on and off and checking for leaks.

In conclusion:

1. WD40 is what I believe did the trick (beat my soapy water)
2. I think warming the tire and rim also assisted (in sun). I wound up going into my basement to work on seating it. I think garage at 40F may have been a little too cold when it is that tight.
3. It did not push out (pop) until I had almost 100lbs on it.

My other question about the width I saw the answer to once the tire was inflated. I Measured my old Metzler 880 at 6.375" wide and once the CT was inflated it was at 6.25" (1/8" thinner).

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
imported post

A rubber lubricant like Ruglide will help. Also on each attempt be sure to break the bead and start fresh. After the bead has been broken move the bead so it has a different starting point when you put the air to it. Obviously you would like the bead to contact the wheel perfectly parallel but that is unlikely so you have to settle for as close as you can get. It might take several tries but break the bead, jostle the tire and try again. Not 100 PSI though. You could be damaging the structure of the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

First thing I'd do is let the air out, break the bead on that side, lube the tire and wheel real good, and try to air it up again.
Do not get your fingers anywhere near the tire and bead while doing this.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Unrelated directly, but C/T's have a colored dot representing locating the tire to the valve stem for seating when used normally. Do you guys follow the same aligning here?

Balancing is balancing, but just wondering if it's still relevant.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
imported post

No, I have done it with the dots and ignoring the dots :?and have seen justas good a result either way.

I wish they'ld just drop the dots altogether. ;)

Ruglyde or WD-40 or a dab of Armoreall ... all seem work well as bead lubricants. I favor Ruglyde myself.

I never use water and soap nor "beadsealer glue". Water and some soaps will corrode in time (and they ain't gonna dry out inside a sealed tire) and any semi clean near smooth rim bead and proper tire bead will seal.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Soapy water with no water, ie undiluted Fairy Liquid or similar should work. Don't worry about getting some water inside the rim, you can remove the valve core and drain it out. Or remove the core and with the wheel installed let it spin in gear, ayy water will fly out then.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

jmcarthy wrote:
My other question about the width I saw the answer to once the tire was inflated. I Measured my old Metzler 880 at 6.375" wide and once the CT was inflated it was at 6.25" (1/8" thinner).

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your help.
I was just about to respond to this when I saw you answered it yourself.

When I took the Metzler off of my GL1500, I had to deflate it to get it out of the frame, but my inflated Dunlop Wintersport rolled right in. Even though the unmounted tire looked wider than the bike tire.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I was having a hard time getting a dirt track racing tire to pop years ago and I was using hardware store silicone spray. A friend told me to try Yamaha tire lube. It was also silicone, but it worked instantly. Go figure!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Armourall or anti-freeze. Someone suggested putting a few ounces of anti-freeze inside the tire and leaving it in there for balancing, instead of using dynabeads. So it should not hurt the tire or wheel?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Kind of eliminates the naysayer's position about car tires coming off the rim, in this case, doesn't it? :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.