Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all I have a electrical problem I went on a ride today and when I got back in town my elec. power to every thing quit, no lights,interment panel gauges, nothing will work it just quit me in the middle of the highway my battery is good just no power to anything I know it is a short, fuse but where to look first? is there a main line fuse? Please help GF wants to ride. thanks MCFF

·
Administrator
24,395 Posts
Yes there is a main fuse under a cover on the starter solenoid. You may have to disconnect the connector on top to open the cover. There may be a spare inside the cover.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
ts possible that your problem is not the solenoid itself but is related to a problem at the solenoid connector

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
If it popped the main fuse, STOP- find the short or you will blow the spare fuse.

Have you performed the stator wire connector mod? remove the failure-prone 3 wire connector where it hooks to main harness, and its similar connector next to battery.
Cut any bad wire out, splice in new sections of good wire- solder and shrink wrap seal.

ALL power from stator goes thru that wiring. Pics of bad connector always look burnt, melted, rusted and in worst case- FIRE damage!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Sometimes those dogbone fuses just fall apart. They get corroded over a period of years. Get a couple new ones, and clean, or replace the screws that hold that on. A smear of dielectric on them might be a good idea also.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As it quit while running it's not the main fuse or the battery.

The red wire on top of your starter relay powers the entire bike. Make sure it has a good connection both at the relay and at the ignition switch then if necessary move on to the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I'll throw another possibility on the log pile. Is your key switch worn out? If you jiggle the key while in the RUN position and lights come back or flicker, then your key switch needs cleaned or replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Its possible for a battery to short out and cause a bike to quit running at speed. It happened on my son's 2009 Kawasaki Concours. We were running at 65 mph and it just quit. It was the battery, installed a new battery and all was well.

As it quit while running it's not the main fuse or the battery.

The red wire on top of your starter relay powers the entire bike. Make sure it has a good connection both at the relay and at the ignition switch then if necessary move on to the ignition switch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.