Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,064 Posts
I have a '81 standard and an '85 Interstate. "82 was the first year Honda started moving the mechanics of the bike away from what we now call sport touring. The big change in 82 was gearing, better brakes and smaller diameter wheels. I like both bikes, but for different reasons.
As far as the price goes, $2800 should buy you a good running motorcycle. At 36,000 miles it should have a lot of life left. I would check the date code on the tires. They may have good tread, but if they are 10 years old I would consider replacing them. If the brake lines are original they should be changed. Another thing that should be done is lube the drive shaft. At 36K I bet is has never been done. I would also look at the brake fluid and radiator. Most likely it needs to be flushed. I paid $500 for the 1200 and put another $3K in it to bring it back to life. If I wanted a dress GL, I would consider buying it. You might be able to get him down some in price, but with a trailer, the price seems fair. You should ask yourself, do I really need the trailer?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have an '80 1100 and a camper trailer, Bike now has over 100K miles, I have logged probably 10,000 of those miles pulling the camper. The 1100 does just fine traveling 2-up and pulling fully loaded camper (probably 550 lbs) and with that load can do Interstate speed +5 all day long with plenty of power to spare. More-than-Capable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good Morning All, JamesPal, Are u meaning 83' was the year of the refinements? What i have read now is the braking, wheels and gearing was taller in 83 to bring rpms down at cruise.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
What DenverWinger said is spot on,that model is perfect for trailer application but if you don’t need the trailer then I think the 83 would fit you fine,fuel midge will be a tad better between the 2,I don’t recall the mileage on my 82 was ,I was kinda hard on it sometime so fuel mileage wasent important.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Even with taller gears in the '83 it would not be an issue with the trailer. There's no law against downshifting to or running in 4th. 😁

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
DenverWinger and all others....my main concern was on the 82 being at cruise and teally wishing u had another gear on the top end to shift into. I would assume a higher rpm at cruise speed would transfer into hand...arm and body fatigue...???

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The 82 compared to say a 10 year older (1992) is apples and oranges,when the 82 came out it was the cats meow, literally a stepping stone to what is out there now, motors now have the 2 extra cylinders but basically the same design on the motor, the 82 doesn’t turn many more rpms than my 91 1500 , at 70 mine turns 3400, the 82 might be 3800?

I don’t recall what mine did,I put the 83 speedo on mine and it would scare the crap out of me at over 100 mph, without the big fairing the wind did crazy stuff to the dynamics of that particular, mine from stoplight would run with my buddy’s 1100 bmw one his 600 Kawasaki ninja, mine was free from a friend, came out of work one day and there’s a note on it that said I want this bike so that day it was sold and next day I bought my ST 1100, now that bike was a hoot to ride, the week I sold it I rode it 95 miles in 45 min.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
DenverWinger and all others....my main concern was on the 82 being at cruise and teally wishing u had another gear on the top end to shift into. I would assume a higher rpm at cruise speed would transfer into hand...arm and body fatigue...???
The engine is so smooth thet between fuel stops you would never be fatigued

·
Registered
703 Posts
The engine is so smooth thet between fuel stops you would never be fatigued
+1. The 1980 gears are such that the engine runs 5000 RPM at 75 MPH, but it is nice and smooth, well below the 8500 red line and the Wing is happy to do it all day long.😁

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I don’t recall my 82 running that rpm but the gears could have changed from 80

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 84 Aspencade and loved it. But parts and service were very hard to find and very pricy so I had to let it go to my brother who mostly lets it sit in the garage. Moral of the story is, if it needs a lot of work like carb overhaul, etc. maybe look for something newer. YMMV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have a friend that will sell me a very nice 1982 GL1100 Interstate with the 85mph speedo. This bike has low miles (at least i think...) 33k miles. It also has a matching trailer.
I have read the 1983 has a 150 mph speedo and better or at least different gearing. I have ridden alot of motorcycles but this will be my first goldwing.
So...i was all excited and now im not sure a 1982 is right for me. Will i notice a big a difference in the 1983. I dont need a 100mph goldwing but it also sucks having something that feels like it needs another gear. ......Thanks
I have owned an 83 and an 82 interstate. I like the 83!

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,064 Posts
If you like freeway cruisers you will like the '83 better. If you want to cut it up in the twisties the 80-81 were the best of the four cylinder goldwings. The main difference was the gearing and the tire sizes. The 80-81 had close ratio gearing. The 82 was about half way between the 80-81 and 83. The 83 had the overdrive fifth gear that was carried into the 1200. The 80-81 110/90 x 19 front tires and 130/90 x 17 rear tires. The 82-83 have 120/90 x 18 front and 130/90 x 16 rear tires. 82 had comstar wheels and 83 had cast wheels.

What that being said, the 80-81 were very limited in the load they could carry. Tires are marginally better now, back in the day a 80-81 interstate rear tire would be fully loaded with a passenger and no luggage. Tire pressures were critical and many people ran 45 psi in the rear to prevent heat build up. There were accidents where someone would overload the bike with low rear tire pressure and go out into the dessert summer heat. Tire failure would result. The GVR of the 80-81 could easily exceeded the tire load ratings.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
You can't go to the bike shop and buy a Gl1100, so I would buy the best used bike available on the market. That would be the one in the best condition. It reads like you found one. So, I strongly agreed with Dennis, buy the bike and enjoy it. The differences, 1982 vs 1983 are negligible. That being said, my preference would be a 1984; the first year of the 1200 and the last year of the standard!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Hello, I have a friend that will sell me a very nice 1982 GL1100 Interstate with the 85mph speedo. This bike has low miles (at least i think...) 33k miles. It also has a matching trailer.
I have read the 1983 has a 150 mph speedo and better or at least different gearing. I have ridden alot of motorcycles but this will be my first goldwing.
So...i was all excited and now im not sure a 1982 is right for me. Will i notice a big a difference in the 1983. I dont need a 100mph goldwing but it also sucks having something that feels like it needs another gear. ......Thanks
I had an 81 gl1100 the front end would shake at 75mph.
I had a 2008 gl1800
A 1996 gl1500
And a 2002 gl1800.
I have never said wow I wish it could go faster or this us uncomfortable at highway speeds. IMHO if you get a good price on a nice bike you will be pleased whether the speedo goes to 85 or 150.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts