Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Forgive me for butting into this conversation, but just couldn't help it.

wow, hard to picture an '82 with just 35K on it.
I have a very nice '85 with only 20k on it. My first Wing was an '85 A. I rode it for four years and sold it for nearly what I paid for it. I pull a converted m/c camper that I haul clothes and sound system in for concerts. Loaded, it weighs between 5-600 lbs. When I got in high gear I couldn't tell it was there. The only time I felt it was starting and stopping. That trailer weighed about 200 lbs empty and I've seen 100mph with it behind me. I set the throttle lock and lifted my hands off the bars. (although not very far) I could have put them in my pockets, it went so straight. I've never ridden anything between 1977 and the 1985, so I can't really speak to them.

With those miles, if it is in good running condition, and with a trailer, I would seriously buy it. If you don't like it, keep the trailer for the next one and go shopping again. You may be surprised at what you might get for just the bike.
Be blessed, DT

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Buy both and sell the one you dont like.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Hello, I have a friend that will sell me a very nice 1982 GL1100 Interstate with the 85mph speedo. This bike has low miles (at least i think...) 33k miles. It also has a matching trailer.
I have read the 1983 has a 150 mph speedo and better or at least different gearing. I have ridden alot of motorcycles but this will be my first goldwing.
So...i was all excited and now im not sure a 1982 is right for me. Will i notice a big a difference in the 1983. I dont need a 100mph goldwing but it also sucks having something that feels like it needs another gear. ......Thanks
The reason for the difference in speedometers was the 55 mph speed limit. There is little difference in the two bikes. The 83 has extra space for the corider and an anti dive front fork and several other enhancements. Best year prior to the 1800 In my Opinion Was 1983. For a tall corider there are trunk extenders available. Most of the parts are interchangeable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok guys.....I ran into a 1987 GL1200 with a hitch. Its an Aspencade.... dark maroon in color with a two tone lighter maroon.....heres the kicker....it only has 17k miles. The guy bought it new and id say its a 9 to a 9.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. All polished and armoral seats with a cover over top. Hes willing to sell but he and i are unsure what its worth....your thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Looks like the red they talk about must be the color i was referring to. I know it may need carbs gone through and a timing belt done. Will also need new tires and general service work. I can do the carbs and most of the maintenance myself. Its a tough call to put a value on that.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I doubt not over 3 k but then you could get a nice 1500 for just a little more?

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
I really don't know what it might be worth but if I wanted it I would hit him at $2500 and see what he said.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"Perfect" is the mortal enemy of "Good."

Don't overthink these things. Find a bike you like, at a price you like. Yes, the '83 is better FOR SOME PEOPLE, but the '82 is better for OTHER people. The '20 is nice, but I'm happy with my '89 and really doubt that I would ever buy the newer bike. You can tie yourself up in knots over minor details that you will rarely (if ever) pay any attention to as an owner.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts