Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
wonder if you can help me please!
Driving back home today thought i heard a clunky bang from rear of my 2000 GL1500 couple of hundred kilometers later the bike developed a strange tremor through the bike like as if it was travelling over very mild rumble strips. I stopped and examined the tyres cause the feeling was like there was a lump in one of the tyres at least that's what it felt like.

When i put the bike on main stand and spun the rear Tyre i could hear a soft metallic clunk twice or three times for each revolution from somewhere to the front of the wheel if i was to guess it sounds from the shaft or something.

Thinking wheel bearings I tried to see of there was any movement latterly in the wheel but none, the gearing is perfect no lash or anything - not sure where to start so any help suggestions gratefully by the way the bike has been well looked after with new rear drive oil 500 miles ago and only 27k miles on the clock

Any ideas guys and thanks

ivor

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Very rare to have any trouble with the shaft at that age/mileage.:?

Does reverse work OK.

Pull the shaft boot back at the front of swing arm and check for wobbling/looseness.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very rare to have any trouble with the shaft at that age/mileage.:?

Does reverse work OK.

Pull the shaft boot back at the front of swing arm and check for wobbling/looseness.
thanks for that - will try the reverse tomorrow. i have to wait for guy to give me hand checking out the looseness on wednesday- what part fault would that looseness imply?

appreciate the help - cheers Ivor

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
No chance of it being the brake bracket or something being loose?

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
First I would drain the final drive oil, maybe through a coffee filter, and see what comes out.
If that is all good then you'll need to pull the back wheel and final drive, and inspect the drive shaft splines and the input side at the final drive for any broken bits.
While you have the wheel off you can do a better inspection of the bearings using a your finger. I would also have a close look at the rear brake and make sure there's nothing going on there, like a broken bracket or a rock stuck somewhere.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Sounds to me like the carrier bearing on the end of the shaft ,

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No chance of it being the brake bracket or something being loose?
hi thats a good suggestion - had a look at that today and its not that (unfortunately that would have been easy fix!!)
cheers all ideas welcome and worth checking

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds to me like the carrier bearing on the end of the shaft ,
Hi Im here in Ratoath in Meath not so far from you by the sounds of things!

Is that a big job if its the carrier bearing? is it hard to get at?

Cheers

Ivor

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Hi Ivor , it is Ciaran here from Shinywing in Gorey :) :)
it is not actually the carrier bearing ,it is the final drive itself , here is a link for you to read , I think I know where there is a complete shaft and drive unit for sale if you need one , give me a shout on 086 8113750 ,here is the link on this site
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500finaldrive.htm

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First I would drain the final drive oil, maybe through a coffee filter, and see what comes out.
If that is all good then you'll need to pull the back wheel and final drive, and inspect the drive shaft splines and the input side at the final drive for any broken bits.
While you have the wheel off you can do a better inspection of the bearings using a your finger. I would also have a close look at the rear brake and make sure there's nothing going on there, like a broken bracket or a rock stuck somewhere.
Hi Busdriver thanks for those suggestion. I have mechanic friend coming over tomorrow night and we will start stripping and try these things. If you were betting man what would you say the symptoms sound like. i suppose I am surprised to have a serious problem given the low mileage but as they say s*&^T happens!
cheers
Ivor

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Ivor , it is Ciaran here from Shinywing in Gorey :) :)
it is not actually the carrier bearing ,it is the final drive itself , here is a link for you to read , I think I know where there is a complete shaft and drive unit for sale if you need one , give me a shout on 086 8113750 ,here is the link on this site
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500finaldrive.htm
Hi Ciaran thanks for that will give you call tomorrow and deffo re the complete shaft might take me little time to find out if i need it but dont want to let it pass me by so lets talk tomorrow cheers Ivor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.