Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any tricks to removing a broken off carb mounting bolt (into block)? Just bought a Wing in a box - have had about a dozen bikes & always wanted a Wing. Finally found an abandonded project about a mile from my house (rural central Iowa). Sure I'll have more questions!

ScottInIowa

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

ScottInIowa,

A big welcome to the best wing site on the net.

Haven't a clue how to help you. Hopefully some help will be along shortly.

Good luck with your project.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site ScottInIowa! :waving::waving:

If the bolt is broken off above flush with the head you can file it flat and drill it out with a left hand drill bit (Harbor Freight sells a low priced set). Start with the smallest bit and work up to one that's just smaller than the threads. If the bold doesn't unscrew with the drilling you'll need to get a Helicoil and install new threads. With a Helicoil you can end up with a good repair and still use the original size bolt. If the bolt is broken off much below the surface and not flat it's going to be difficult. In that case I'd drill it out on a drill press since it's going to be very difficult to do by hand. Best bet might be to take the head to a machine shop. A good shop has several different ways to remove broken off bolts that most home tools can't match.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I had a machine shop remove a broken bolt once. He took a pneumatic hammer and put the "blade" on the corner of the bolt and simply turned it out. It took about a minute, cost nothing! Of course, it was steal to steal not stainless to aluminum. Please let us know how you get it.
Terry

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

If it is sticking out where you can get hold of it, I would soak it with PB Blaster penetrating oil for a couple of days before I tried to extract it. If it doesn't want to back out, spray it liberally with PB Blaster and then try turning it IN and then back out. If you can ever get any movement either way, keep soaking it and working it in and out - it will eventually come out. Patience is a virtue.

In 40 years I have done a lot of shadetree wrenching on autos and and some on bikes and I found PB Blaster to be the very best by far of any penetrating oil. Using the In then Out process described above, I have never failed to get a stubborn bolt out.

If the bolt is broke off below the surface, I would probably just take it to an automotive machine shop since they have the right tools to do it quickly and correctly.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

PB Blaster and an easy out has always worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

A good machine shop is the ansewer for this. They have several methods avail. to do this repair all in the time it takes to drink a coffee. Because it's a steel bolt in an aluminium head they tend to seize in there real good. I had one removed by having a shop use a special paste along with a special welding rod to weld a new nut on the broken bolt, that was broken about 3/16' down inside the head and it screwed out with no trouble. This is one of those things that could get very expensive if you do it yourself and it goes bad. Broken drill bits and extractors are twice as hard as a broken bolt to remove. I learned all this the hard way too.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Got it out! Actually was really easy. Soaked for a couple hours in Kroil, then welded a nut on top of it. Let cool for about 20 seconds, and then backed it right out. Was almost finger tight by then with the Kroil and heat. Cleaned carbs for 2 hours - carbs go back in tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.