Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I hope to have a bike shipped from Maine to Ohio. The seller will help the carrier load the bike on his truck or trailer, but that is all. I am looking for a carrier that can pick it up and deliver it to me. I can of course meet the carrier somewhere and load it on my trailer, but a trip to Maine is a LONG haul. Any ideas on what carrier can do this and so I also can make this feesable?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

having a senior moment, something like daily direct... is a comapny that does it... the 18 wheeler arrives, picks up the bike (all they ship is bikes) and it ends up with you... seems to be in the $400 range or so

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
having a senior moment, something like daily direct... is a comapny that does it... the 18 wheeler arrives, picks up the bike (all they ship is bikes) no pallet, it is a double decked trailer and they strap the bike down) and it ends up with you... seems to be in the $400 range or so
http://www.haulbikes.com/

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

I have seen that company's trucks unload a whole fleet of bikes at one of the local dealers. So, they must be okay.

I remember now, it was Chosa's Harley Davidson in Mesa, AZ. None of the bikes were in shipping containers. All were strapped down and sitting pretty in the trailer.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

This is great! Thanks for the tip. Heck if anyone has anymore, pass them on!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for another place to check out!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I'm a sales rep for a nationwide ltl carrier, and we handle quite a few bikes. Whenyou ship a bike on a commercial line like ours, you MUST crate the bike very well. It will be riding along with other shipments on the trailer, and it must be very well protected. Also, chances are that it will be transferred from one trailer to another at least 2 times, possibly more, so it will need to be accessible to forklift blades. Additionally, if you want this bike delivered to your house, you will probably incur additional fees...such as a residential delivery fee (approx $50 or so) and since you probably don't have a dock at your house, you'll also need a lift gate trailer to deliver your bike, and that will probably be another $50-$75.. The actuall rate itself is somewhat negotiable with most carriers...as the standard "man off the street" discount is generally somewhere between 45%-65% off of standard rates...But, you have to ask for the discount. Dependent upon the weight of the bike, your rate could run anywhere from $400-$900 depending on the carrier. We've had several guys come to the terminal and uncrate their bikes and haul them home on a trailer..This saves them the residential delivery fee and the lift gate charge.

I have a friend that has his own logistics company and he can give you a quote on-line..You might want to give it a shot...here's the link...

http://www.outsourcelogistics.com/

Please bear in mind, these folks move freight on commercial carriers, not transfer or moving and storage companies...This might save you some money, but it won't be the same treatment as a company that specializes in moving cars and bikes..

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions..

Regards

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

One more thing...The advantage to using a commercial carrier would probably be transit time...From Maine to Ohio, you're looking at probably a 2 day delivery time..

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Use a reputable company & pick your bike up at a terminal if necessary. Use someone who is fully insured.

I've heard nightmares from folks who've used U-Ship & such.

I have also heard much positive about http://www.haulbikes.com/

If you can't get a reputable company with excellent references [check them], then fly over & ride it home. There is no safe in-between.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Talk about senior moment. I first thought Hmmmmm how many stamps???????????????/

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

I dunno if I want to have one shipped, but that's just a personal thing.

First, I want to see the country between there and here.

Second, I trust myself more than others. I've had to use moving vans for household stuff and that was not a good thing for my goods.

Insurance is by the pound for those glass breakers. That expensive mirror you had? Well, it is, or used to be, 50 cents a pound insurance for breakage.

I don't think that will cover a Goldwing very well.

Chester has it right. Not using a bike hauler? You better have it crated super good.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I also work for an LTL carrier and would suggest that you don't ship it that way. More than likely it would be damaged. Shipping this time of year I would contact a household mover and get a quote from a few of them. They haul cars and vehicles all the time when they move people. Most of them should be set up to haul a motorcycle. With it being the slow time of the year and a motorcycle not taking up much room this would just be extra revenue, especially if you can wait till they have a run going that way. Just a thought and worth a few minutes making a few phone calls.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

I just looked up what LTL Carrier means and it only took me about 15 seconds to decide that this would be the worst possible way to ship a motorcycle.

Too many hands on your bike. Hands that never touched a bike in their life, and would have no clue as to how to secure it properly.

Decide for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Less_than_truckload

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Well, I'm not quite certain I would agree 100% with not using an ltl carrier.. The fact is, most everything that we come into contact in our lives moves at some point in time on an ltl carrier...But, I wouldn't recommend shipping a bike unless it was properly crated..Generally, an ltl carrier is a less expensive alternative. But I would agree, if money is no object, I'd hire a specialty carrier or a household goods mover..but even they're not perfect.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

And I would add one last thing, all of the new Honda's destined for local dealers are primarily delivered by ltl carriers.. We ourselves deliver several new bikes each week..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

I should have put in my post Chester that I meant "uncrated".

Properly crated, using an LTL carrier would be fine. That post is an example of thinking that occurs in the wee hours when one needs sleep :(

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Goto www.uship.com and list your request. Keep the timeframe open for 2 weeks. Then kick back and wait for the offers to come in from shippers. Then take your pick, and be sure to check out their shipping history and if they include insurance or not. Good luck.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
Well, it is Karma Time....

My ST-1100 is down in Dawsonville, Jawja and my son is not going to have time to come home and bring it to me.

Soooooooo, it seems like that I am going to have to get it shipped.

My '98SE was shipped from my home here to UbarW up in OrayGone and it arrived just fine. Uncrated and just lashed down to the shipping platform.

But, the guys who picked it up were not familiar with bikes at all. That sort of scared me and I made it a point to make double darn sure that bike was tied down the way it was supposed to be.

They were going to just tie onto the handlebars of the GL1500 right across all of the cables and stuff!

I stopped that, did it from the triple tree as it should be.

So, having said all of this, I am only going to talk to https://www.1aamotorcycles.com/quote.php and http://www.1aamotorcycles.com/?gclid=CInQj8yE0JYCFSCysgodOgXY2w

Choose one and....
Let them take their time in getting it to me. After all, I have not had the bike since labor day last year, what is another week or three?

EDIT:

hmmmm, https://www.1aamotorcycles.com/quote.php
This website did not fuss around with a bunch of mumbo jumbo, it presented me with a form and I filled in the dots and crossed the Ts.... it then gave me a flat price of $775 prepaid.

This site, (Haul Bikes) https://www.1aamotorcycles.com/quote.php
is a mess to work with, gave a "zone rate" of $585, then mentions a fuel upcharge of 30% and then an extra fee for residential pickup and delivery, and "other potentials issues". This left me with a feeling of "piss on them". So, I called them and got a recording, "we are open between the hours of...." and that ended that bit of searching.

haul bikes might be a good shipper, but their website leaves a lot to be desired in making me feel good about them.

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
I used Haul Bikes before for my present Wing. They were expensive but I liked there rig for moving bikes. Didnt like that they made me meet them at a Walmart parking lot 5 miles away. Didnt like that they took the shield off the bike but never told me until they were offloading. Delivery was much faster than other shippers had told me. Good luck with your bike shipping.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.