Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok guys n gals, I'm booked in different lodges for the last two weeks of july in Yellowstone. My questions are, what do I see, what do I bring, what do I leave, and what is a must or must not to visit?????????

I know you folks have lists of things to bring, and I know I have to ride the Beartooth, This will be about 3000 round trip, not counting miles inside the park, I'm figuring 400 a day, that'll get me there in 3 1/2 days and I think that is comfortable enough for me and the seat cover and yes, I have a "pod" trailer behind the 1500.

You folks came through on my circle tour of Lake Superior, now I'm looking for tips to yellowstone. This will be our first psuedo cross country trip, so help a brother out here, pm me or e-mail me or link me up here, I'm open to everything, and thanks in advance, Ben.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

The main thing in Yellowstone is to NOT get freaked out when the buffalo come wandering down the road . Traffic comes to a complete stop They will pass you on either side DO NOT MOVE!!!! I can't stress this enough!!!! You are out there unprotected and they DO get close!!! 99% of the time you will be fine (not Moving) But gotta tell ya after the warning from the ranger and sitting there twice last year I just about had to go and change my shorts!!!

This one was on the other side of the road But there were some I could have petted as they went by They are truly massive and magnificent animals

Oh yeah Forgot They usually are in two herds Waituntil yousee the "valley" view stunning!!!!!BUT lone males are all over the park Trick is to tuck in behind a cage and stay there You ain't going nowhere fast anyho

BUT Yellowstone is SOOOOO worth it you will never regret the trip!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

Write to the National Park Service in Yellowstone & get then to send you the glossy info map/brochure they have. It directs you to all the good places to see.

Go to the Tetons as well while you are in the general vicinity.

Been there several times & got info by writing.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

OK now that I scared the crap out of you with the above here's the good stuff:

Coming in from the east ( boring until you get here) you have to go to Cody wy.... plan on a 24 hr stop here much to see.... the museum is world class!!! 5 different halls takes hours to go thru There is a rodeo every night there in the summer as well.... Accommodations are from the cheap ( camping) to the ridiculous]

Fill up here as they stiff you in the park!!!!!

Next the ride from Cody to the east entrance is a sight to behold ; Vistas at every corner We saw wolf and lots of deer Rated one of the best drives in America!!!!!!

if camping stay at the Mammoth campgrounds on the north side and do the loop the next day You can spend one or two days in the park alone some stay the whole vacation Tie your tent down securely as williwaws blast thru on occasion Gardener is just outside of the north entrance for entertainment and there is dump of a diner there that I can't remember the name off ( green trim ;old place ) that has awesome food

be prepared for the crowds in the wilderness!!!!! Old Faithful can easily have a 1000 people waiting for it

http://www.nps.gov/yell/

http://www.bbhc.org/home/index.cfm?CFID=2760004&CFTOKEN=25895092

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

If possible ride highway 14 from just North of Sheridan Wyoming. As you climb the mountains on the East side, watch for the signs on the rock giving the age as you go up. It is in "billions of years."

Another suggestion is the Chief Joseph Highway .. check the link below for a picture.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4130/ppuser/10163

Bob

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Funny story, We did Custer in S.D. in 2000 and got stuck on the road waiting for the buffalo to clear, and I had my windows down in the truck. Long story short, Tatanka breath is really bad smelly stuff but my kid got sneezed on and that is as bad as it gets :cheeky1:

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

We spent 4 days in Yellowstone and did not see it all.

Each of the major thermal areas is unique so it is a good idea to plan to see as many as you can. Hayden Valley for wildlife. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and the upper and lower falls are beautiful. Old faithful area and that gyser basin can easily be a full day.

Total Yellowstone Has a lot of information

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,789 Posts
imported post

Bring your winter gear. There will be snow still on the ground at higher elevations and it could easily snow while you are there even in late july. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

yeah, I heard about the possibility of snow just about anytime, is it ever too bad to ride in?? do the roads clear off pretty quick?? Being a wisconsin boy, I have had my share of ridding home from work in alittle snow (yeah, pushed the ridding season a bit too far) and I care not to ride too much in the snow.

Hey ladies, what does mama need to pack besides the normal stuff?????????

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

Scenery is everywhere for sure.

One thing has not been mentioned though. I was forewarned to be sure and use a lens protector on my good camera. I selected a 85UV filter which works great for knocking down the reflected sun rays from off all that salty rock.

When that lens gets all coated up with the sulphur deposits from the thermals, you can just throw it away. Don't try to wipe that stuff off, just scratches the glass.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

If you're coming from Wisconsin you may want to check out MotorcycleRoads.US for some scenic territory to hit on the way there. I've found the site informative at times. Looking at the roads listed for Wyoming it seems to be pretty accurate in describing the roads in that area I've driven and they have listed.
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/wy.html

ccsailor has it nailed. Hey, ccsailor, I haven't been thru Cody in a number of years but they used to have a cave tour that took you to the entrance of the cave on an old small steam train. Is it still in operation?

Too bad you have to go in the middle of 'cage season'. Been thru in May, August and September. Will never go back in holiday season again. All I could keep thinking was "...at least you can split lanes in L.A.!" Be ready to be very patient in the park.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
ccsailor has it nailed. Hey, ccsailor, I haven't been thru Cody in a number of years but they used to have a cave tour that took you to the entrance of the cave on an old small steam train. Is it still in operation?
Did not see any thing like that But we missed a lot We plan on returning and spending more time in the area

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

We spent a couple of days in Yellowstone two years ago, and it wasn't anywhere near long enough.

The traffic can be abysmal, and you have to watch out for cagers making last minute decisions to dodge in to viewing points.

One thing we did which was a wonderful experience was white water rafting on the Gallatin R. out of Big Sky. Probably not much if you are used to the sport, but for newbies it was great.

I laughed at your Custer Tatanka experience, we had almost the same experience last summer on the wildlife loop in Custer State Park, except we were on the bike, and stuck in a mess of traffic all watching the buffalo.

PS really good sandwich bar in Big Sky, Blue Moon or something.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Be sure to visit Sedona while you are there. Great little town with beautiful views of the area. If you visit Tuscon, there is a pass that people go to to watch the sunset, very pretty. Frank Lloyd Wright's home is in the Phoenix area if you are interested in that sort of thing. Tombstone, although a tourist trap, is fun to visit. Quite a few miles of riding for all this.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I love this place. Thanks for the question - and all the replies. Helps me out with my tour as well. Looks like we're just going to miss Albino Biker. We get in 8/3 and leave 8/6. Staying in a Roosevelt Lodge Cabin. Looking forward to it - then off to Sturgis through Cody. Wish we had more time to spend in Cody now - but we're just passing through. Probably stop for a long lunch since we're gonna only put in 365 that day - just gotta find something good.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Sorry to hear that blackdog, always looking to meet fellow ridders, never know when your gonna click ya know. Great tips so far folks, thanks a bunch, and thanks for that lens tip AZ, never would have thought of that.

might have to plan an alternate route there now that there's more to see :)

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,789 Posts
imported post

Albino Biker wrote:
yeah, I heard about the possibility of snow just about anytime, is it ever too bad to ride in?? do the roads clear off pretty quick?? Being a wisconsin boy, I have had my share of ridding home from work in alittle snow (yeah, pushed the ridding season a bit too far) and I care not to ride too much in the snow.

Hey ladies, what does mama need to pack besides the normal stuff?????????
Chances are slim for much coverage but possible. Usually comes and goes pretty fast and turns to slush.Ride in it???Might delay you for an hour or two.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I certainly ain't worried about a little delay in riding, I'm sure we could find something tosee for an hour or two.

Anybody stay at the cabins outside the park? I know there are some in Cody, and mama found one 25 miles outside the park at the northeast gate, better rates for sure but is it worth making longer rides each day?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.