Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:pok ive been a little heavy handed and rounded a Allen bolt, one of the four Allen bolts that hold the front fender in place refused to move, and i have rounded it!!!! has anyone got any tips on how to remove it please, by the way, it sits into a slight recess in the fender, so you cant get a grip on the sides, all the best pp

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

mig weld an allen key into the bolt and unscrew, bolts u/s and easy outs just break, arc welding will melt plastic guard mig should be ok if cooled as soon as welded

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

Drill it and use an EZ-out to extract it if the diameter is big enough. Soak it in penetrating oil prior to using the extractor and it will be easier and less likely to break the smaller extractor.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:Dmany thanks, ill try the drilling method first , rather than risk the heat near to the plastic fender, thanks:waving:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

pinkpork wrote:
:Dmany thanks, ill try the drilling method first , rather than risk the heat near to the plastic fender, thanks:waving:
Just be sure to let it soak in penetrating oil. Over night is best. If not, the risk of breaking the EZ-out is greatly increased, especially with one this thin.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

:Dill do as you say:clapper:many thanks pp

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I have had luck in the past using a cutting wheel on my dremel to cut a slot thru the head of the bolt and using a slotted screwdriver to get it out.

Ifyou can get at it use one of those hammer driven impact drivers to crack it loose.

Good luck

Peter

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Might not even need a cut slot..... use a allen head socket on your impact driver and tap forcefully..... may come out...... you'll need a new allen bolt, but, you need that anyway! Good luck, :baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If this is where I think it is, you can't use heat or any pounding there anyway and you will not get a drill in there either.

I would waste the chrome fork cover as they are cheap enough and I would cut a slot across the head with a Dremel and a cutting disk.

Then I'd use a ratcheting right angle screwdriver with the large blade in it and wrench them out.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

When I rounded out the allen bolt on the fork bottom, I was able to remove it using a left handed drill bit. I was prepared to drill the entire head off if need be, but before that happened it finally loosened and spun out.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

If you have access to a grinder or something.Take a easy out and grind the end down slowly until it will fit into the end and grab with a slight tapping.No point in drilling as if you get it correctly sized it will grab.When grinding it down keep it cool dipping it in water so you don't change the temper of the easy out.This has worked for me many times in the past and you don't have to worry about melting the plastic like you would with a grinding disk or drill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.