Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just installed a new regulator on my 86 gl 1200
volt meter now reading about 11.5 volts at 3200 rpm
wires on new reg got so hot that the insulation has melted and started to smoke
is my charging system shot or is there still hope

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would Start at the Stator and work forward , Check the 3 yellow wires coming out of the Stator, they have plastic connectors that melt, so you have to cut them out and put the wires together , but before you do that check your out put from the stator. There is a lot of info on here how to do that. If you get that done check the connectors up front at the voltage Reg. I bought a new reg for my 1200 and the wire size seemed to small for the amount of heat, After fixing the connectors from the stator up to the voltage reg. my OEM reg was reinstalled and never had another problem. The company replaced the reg that got so hot but I never needed it. Look up the info on how to check stator wires on this site. Good Luck

·
Registered
475 Posts
Also my bike would be charging at 14.2 and then drop down to 11.5, I would turn the key off for a few seconds and then restart with a bump of the clutch and it would start charging at 14.2. It was a 1985 LTD 1200.

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
so i just installed a new regulator on my 86 gl 1200
volt meter now reading about 11.5 volts at 3200 rpm
wires on new reg got so hot that the insulation has melted and started to smoke
is my charging system shot or is there still hope
I think you got a bad regulator or your battery is shorted. 2 parts to the charging system, stator & regulator. If the stator was bad it wouldn't be melting the wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts